|Died||31 July 2011 (aged 92–93)|
On 21 June 1940, the Ankara Halkevi ("Community Center of Ankara") staged its first opera, Mozart's one-act singspiel Bastien und Bastienne. In the following performance that night, the second act of Puccini's Madama Butterfly, Çağlayan made her stage debut as "Cio-Cio-san" (Japanese for butterfly) or "Madama Butterfly".
In 1942, she performed in the complete Madama Butterfly, together with professionals who were educated in Europe. She was one of the pioneers of opera in Turkey. She then starred in many performances over a long time, including the title role in Smetana's The Bartered Bride in 1943, Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro in 1944, Gilda in Verdi's Rigoletto in 1950, Menotti's The Consul in 1952, and Bizet's Carmen in 1957. On 9 June 1981, she retired from the Ankara State Opera, where she started her professional career on 1 July 1949.
The Japanese Government honored Çağlayan by presenting her a tiny Madama Butterfly doll for her successful performance in the opera. The kimono she wore in the performance and the baby doll have been on display in the upper lobby of the Ankara Opera building since 2008. In 2009, Minister of Culture and Tourism Ertuğrul Günay visited her in the nursing home where she lived, and presented her a gold medal award prepared on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the establishment of the Turkish State Opera and Ballet and Turkish State Theatres for the artists who served for many years.
- "Mesude Çağlayan vefat etti". Cumhuriyet (in Turkish). 31 July 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Mesude Çağlayan Kimdir, Hayatı, Hakkında Bilgi" (in Turkish). sosyolojisi.com. 28 May 2018. Retrieved 15 March 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ata'nın Gençleri sahnede" (in Turkish). Kültür ve Turizm Bakanlığı. Retrieved 15 March 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Opera in Turkey". Turkish Culture Foundation. Retrieved 18 March 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Tunçdemir, İlknur (28 April 2006). "Cumhuriyetin İlk Yıllarında Türk Opera Sanatinda Bir Öncü Kadın Sanatçı ve Ressam: Semiha Berksoy (1910– 2004)*" (in Turkish). Famagusta: Müzik Eğitimcileri. Retrieved 18 March 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Dünya sahnelerinde en çok sergilenen sekizinci opera olan 'TOSCA' Operası 17 Ekim 2011 Pazartesi akşamı, geçtiğimiz aylarda kaybettiğimiz opera sanatçısı Mesude Çağlayan'ın anısına gerçekleşecek". Andante (in Turkish). 12 October 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Öncü Soprano Mesude Çağlayan vefat etti". Sabah (in Turkish). 1 August 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)