Merlin: The Return
Merlin: The Return is a 2000 British fantasy film written, produced, and directed by Paul Matthews. The film stars Rik Mayall, Patrick Bergin, Craig Sheffer, Adrian Paul, Julie Hartley, and Tia Carrere. The film chronicles the story of Merlin and King Arthur. The film was released in the United Kingdom on 22 December 2000.
|Merlin: The Return|
|Directed by||Paul Matthews|
|Written by||Paul Matthews|
|Based on||Arthurian legend|
|Produced by||Elizabeth Matthews|
|Cinematography||Vincent G. Cox|
|Edited by||Peter Davies|
|Music by||Mark Thomas|
|Distributed by||Peakviewing Transatlantic Plc|
|22 December 2000|
|Box office||£20,868 (UK)|
For 1500 years, the powers of Merlin (Rik Mayall) have kept the evil Mordred (Craig Sheffer) and his mother Morgana (Grethe Fox) captive in another world. When a present-day scientist (Tia Carrere) stumbles upon the gateway between this world and the one Mordred is imprisoned in, it's up to a recently re-awakened King Arthur (Patrick Bergin) Merlin and Lancelot (Adrian Paul) to stop Mordred from returning.
- Rik Mayall as Merlin
- Patrick Bergin as King Arthur
- Craig Sheffer as Mordred
- Adrian Paul as Lancelot
- Julie Hartley as Guinevere
- Tia Carrere as Dr. Joan Maxwell
- Leigh Greyvenstein as Kate
- Byron Taylor as Richie Gould
- Grethe Fox as Morgana
- Jennifer Steyn as Richie's Mom
- Anthony Bishop as Gawain
- Lynne White as Aunt Everlyn
- Jocelyn Broderick as Megan
Critical reception for the film was mostly negative;[improper synthesis?] Michael Thomson of the BBC wrote, "It's almost as if director Paul Matthews had accepted a bet to make the worst possible film." Time Out London commented that the film was "indifferently directed" but was "a harmless adventure". Total Film, in summing up the film, wrote, "It's a word that has some might/It starts with `Sh'/And rhymes with kite...".
- Mettler, Erinna; Wickham, Philip (31 December 2004). "UK Box Office for UK Feature Films Released in 2000". The Stats: An Overview of the Film, Television, Video and DVD Industries in the UK 1990–2003 (PDF). British Film Instituteyear=2006. p. 235. ISBN 1-84457-017-7.
- "Empire's Merlin The Return Movie Review". Empire Online. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- Peterson, Amy (2004). Mythology in Our Midst: A Guide to Cultural References. Greenwood. p. 114. ISBN 0313321922.
- "Review: Merlin the Return". Radio Times. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- Mark Deming (2008). "Rovi Review: Merlin: The Return". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Archived from the original on 26 February 2008. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- Harty, Kevin J (2010). Cinema Arthuriana: Twenty Essays. McFarland. pp. 26, 201, 209. ISBN 978-0786446834.
- "Merlin The Return". Entertainment.ie. 5 April 2001. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Review: Merlin: the Return". BBC. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Review: Merlin: The Return". Time Out London. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Review: Merlin The Return". Total Film. Retrieved 7 December 2012.