Merck Veterinary Manual
The Merck Veterinary Manual is a reference manual of animal health care. It was first published by Merck & Co., Inc. in 1955. It contains concise, thorough information on the diagnosis and treatment of disease in a wide variety of species. The Manual is available as a book, published on a non-profit basis. Additionally, the full text can be accessed for free via the website, or downloaded in its entirety via an app. In January 2020, the website was redesigned with a more helpful search function without advertising. Interactive features on the website include quizzes, case studies, and clinical calculators. In addition, there are animal health news summaries and commentaries.
|Author||Merck & Co.|
The Merck Veterinary Manual was first published in 1955. It was based on the Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy, which was first published in 1899 as a reference for physicians. The first edition of the Veterinary Manual included contributions from over 200 authors, with 389 chapters divided into sections on public health, toxicology, and diseases of domestic animals, zoo and fur animals, and poultry. The first five editions were edited by Otto H. Siegmund. The fifth edition was published in 1979. The sixth and seventh editions were edited by Clarence M. Fraser.
The eighth edition, edited by Susan Aeillo, was published in 1988 with contributions from 317 authors. A review in the Canadian Veterinary Journal declared it to be an 'excellent veterinary handbook'. The ninth edition was published in 2005, and included chapters by over 350 authors. New subjects included Hendra virus infection in the horse, and biosecurity. The tenth edition, published in 2010 and edited by Cynthia M. Kahn, was the first to contain images. It included radiographs, illustrations, and photomicrographs, as well as new chapters, including one on African hedgehogs.
The eleventh edition, published in 2016, had over 400 contributing authors. New topics in the eleventh edition included backyard poultry and smoke inhalation. In 2018, a free app version was made available which included a 57 megabyte download of all the information from the eleventh edition.
- "Merck Veterinary Manual". South Dakota Journal of Medicine and Pharmacy. Sioux Falls, South Dakota: South Dakota State Medical Association. 8: 359–360. September 1955. Retrieved 14 November 2020 – via Internet Archive. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Nestor, Derek D. (April 2011). "Book Reviews: For Your Library". American Journal of Veterinary Research. 72 (4): 430–431. doi:10.2460/ajvr.72.4.430.
- Cockcroft, Peter D.; Hows, Mark (2003). "The Merck Veterinary Manual". Handbook of evidence-based veterinary medicine. Blackwell Publishing. p. 48. ISBN 9780470680544.
- "App enhances content in Merck Veterinary Manual". Veterinary Practice News. 23 January 2018. Retrieved 14 November 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Merck Veterinary Manual website gets a makeover". DVM 360. January 19, 2020. Retrieved 14 November 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "In Memoriam | Otto H. Siegmund". American Veterinary Medical Association. March 15, 2000. Retrieved 14 November 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Obituaries | Clarence M. Fraser". American Veterinary Medical Association. June 1, 2005. Retrieved 14 November 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Radostits, Otto M. (April 2000). "The Merck Veterinary Manual, 8th Edition". The Canadian Veterinary Journal. 41 (4): 334. ISSN 0008-5286. PMC 1476169.
- Reca Zipp, Marcella M. (7 March 2005). "9th Edition of The Merck Veterinary Manual Released". The Horse. Retrieved 14 November 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "11th Edition of The Merck Veterinary Manual Coming This Summer". Veterinary Practice News. 25 April 2016. Retrieved 14 November 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "JAVMA News | 11th edition of Merck manual to be published in July". Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 249 (1): 25. July 2016. doi:10.2460/javma.249.1.10.
- "Free download: Merck Veterinary Manual". Today's Veterinary Business. 23 January 2018. Retrieved 14 November 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)