Men Are Such Fools
Men are Such Fools is a 1938 American romantic comedy directed by Busby Berkeley and written by Norman Reilly Raine and Horace Jackson. The film stars Wayne Morris, Priscilla Lane, Humphrey Bogart, Hugh Herbert, Johnnie Davis, and Penny Singleton. The film was released by Warner Bros. on July 16, 1938. The movie is adapted from the novel by the same name, Men Are Such Fools, by Faith Baldwin.
|Men Are Such Fools|
|Directed by||Busby Berkeley|
|Produced by||Jack L. Warner|
|Screenplay by||Norman Reilly Raine|
|Music by||Heinz Roemheld|
|Edited by||Jack Killifer|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
Linda Lawrence (Priscilla Lane) is an assistant to an executive Mr. Bates (Hugh Herbert) at a New York advertising agency called Americo. She badly wants to reach new levels in her career and strives to do her best work at Americo as to not be the traditional woman. She has a few ideas she would like to pitch to Mr. Bates in order to advance in her career, but is repeatedly interrupted by Jimmy Hall (Wayne Morris), an ex-football star now turned co-worker. Hall claims he loves her, and Lawrence entertains him and eventually does fall in love with him, however she wants her primary focus to be her career. As she tries to advance her career through hard work, Hall tries to advance on her as a love interest, and Lawrence has others after her romantically as well, such as Harry Galleon (Humphrey Bogart), an executive of the company who could help further her career. This romantic comedy conveys messages of female independence and wits while also showing how Lawrence balances the two, her love life and career.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2015)
- Wayne Morris as Jimmie Hall
- Priscilla Lane as Linda Lawrence
- Humphrey Bogart as Harry Galleon
- Hugh Herbert as Harvey Bates
- Johnnie Davis as Tad Turkel
- Penny Singleton as Nancy
- Mona Barrie as Bea Harris
- Vivienne Osborne as Lili Arno
- Marcia Ralston as Wanda
- Gene Lockhart as Bill Dalton
- Kathleen Lockhart as Mrs. Dalton
- Donald Briggs as George Onslow
- Nedda Harrigan as Mrs. Nelson
- Eric Stanley as Mr. Nelson
- Claud Allister as Rudolf
- Renie Riano as Mrs. Pinkel
- "Men Are Such Fools (1938) - Overview". TCM.com. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- Sandra Brennan (2014). "Men-Are-Such-Fools - Trailer - Cast - Showtimes". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Baseline & All Movie Guide. Archived from the original on 2014-12-17. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- Men Are Such Fools, retrieved 2019-09-27