Memories Back Then
"Memories Back Then" is a song by American hip hop recording artist T.I., featuring guest appearances from fellow American rappers B.o.B and Kendrick Lamar, as well as vocals from American singer-songwriter Kris Stephens. The song, produced by Samuel AsH, Matthew "Got Koke" Furdge and Maurice "Kenoe" Jordan, was first released as a single by Hustle Gang on April 22, 2013. The song debuted and peaked at number 88 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart.
|"Memories Back Then"|
|Single by T.I. featuring B.o.B, Kendrick Lamar and Kris Stephens|
|Released||April 22, 2013|
|Producer(s)||Samuel AsH, Matthew Furdge and Kenoe|
|Grand Hustle singles chronology|
|T.I. singles chronology|
|B.o.B singles chronology|
|Kendrick Lamar singles chronology|
|Kris Stephens singles chronology|
T.I. had initially recorded "Memories Back Then", for his eighth studio album Trouble Man: Heavy Is the Head (2012). In an interview released on October 19, 2012, West Coast rapper Kendrick Lamar revealed that he recorded a song with T.I., for the aforementioned album. The song was also reported to feature B.o.B and sample Belgian-Australian singer-songwriter Gotye's hit single, "Somebody That I Used to Know". Although the track failed to appear on Trouble Man due to sample-clearance issues, B.o.B announced the song would be the first single from the Grand Hustle Records compilation album, Hustle Gang.
Music and lyricsEdit
The song's mass appeal attracted T.I. to the sample: "The record's just jamming. When I heard the twist they put on it, man, it was kind of a no-brainer." T.I. also chose the record for its crossover ability, which he has always been successful with in the past: "It sounds like hip-hop with an international twist to it, and I'm known for taking those types of records and bridging that gap between what we do and what they do," he explained, dropping in a couple of examples. "From M.I.A.'s 'Paper Planes' to 'Swagga Like Us,' we took [Crystal Waters'] 'Gypsy Woman' for 'Why You Wanna.'"
Over the drum-heavy sample, Lamar and Bobby Ray join T.I. in sharing some nostalgic stories, which he says reminds him of some of a few renowned MCs and their classic projects: "[We're] taking turns on our story about a female that we knew years, years, years ago before we were who we are today. It kinda puts me in the mind of the 'Da Art of Storytellin' [and The Art of Storytelling] from Outkast and Slick Rick. It puts me in the mind of that." The song failed to make the album's final track listing probably due to sample clearances. On December 17, 2012 T.I. stopped by Sway Calloway's Sway in the Morning radio show to promote the album, while there he premiered "Memories Back Then".
T.I. felt the song needed to reach more people so he had the song reworked, removing the sample: "I rocked out as soon as I heard it. It felt relevant, it felt urgent. However, I was not able to work out a clearance. I didn't want to waste the opportunity because it was such a great performance and meaningful message from myself and B.o.B and Kendrick.”, T.I. said to Rap-Up.
In March 2013, T.I. filmed the music video for "Memories Back Then", in Los Angeles, California, alongside B.o.B, Kendrick Lamar and Kris Stephens. The music video for "Memories Back Then", directed by Philly Fly Boy, was released April 22, 2013.
- Digital download
- "Memories Back Then" — 5:06
|United States||April 22, 2013||Digital download||Grand Hustle|
|April 25, 2013||Mainstream urban radio|
|September 18, 2013||Digital download|
- Horowitz, Steven J. (19 October 2012). "Kendrick Lamar Explains Meaning Of "good kid, m.A.A.d city" Title, Reveals T.I. Collaboration". HipHopDX. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Iandoli, Kathy (October 24, 2012). "T.I. Previews 10 Tracks Off "Trouble Man," Calls New Sound A "Hybrid"". HipHopDX. Cheri Media Group. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- Hunte, Justin (April 5, 2013). "B.o.B. Confirms "Memories Back Then" With Kendrick Lamar As Hustle Gang EP First Single". HipHopDX. Cheri Media Group. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Donaldson, Erich (October 26, 2012). "Video: T.I. Explains Record With Kendrick Lamar and B.o.B That Samples Gotye". Complex. Complex Media. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Donaldson, Erich (December 17, 2012). "Listen: T.I. f/ Kendrick Lamar, B.o.B & Kris Stephens "Memories Back Then"". Complex. Complex Media. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- "RAP-UP TV: ON SET OF 'MEMORIES BACK THEN' WITH T.I., KENDRICK LAMAR, & B.O.B". Rap-Up. 11 March 2013. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- "VIDEO: T.I., B.O.B, KENDRICK LAMAR, & KRIS STEPHENS – 'MEMORIES BACK THEN'". Rap-Up.com. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "T.I. Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "T.I. Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "2013 Year End Charts — R&B/Hip-Hop Songs". Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Memories Back Then (feat. T.I., B.o.B, Kendrick Lamar & Kris Stephens) – Single by Hustle Gang". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- "Memories Back Then (feat. B.o.B, Kendrick Lamar & Kris Stephens) – Single by T.I." iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- on YouTube