Meet the Baron
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)
Meet the Baron is a 1933 American pre-Code comedy film starring Jack Pearl, Jimmy Durante, Edna May Oliver, ZaSu Pitts, Ted Healy and His Stooges (Moe Howard, Larry Fine and Curly Howard). The title of the film refers to Pearl's character of Baron Munchhausen, which he made famous on his radio show.
|Meet the Baron|
|Directed by||Walter Lang|
|Written by||Norman Krasna|
Herman J. Mankiewicz
|Produced by||David O. Selznick|
Edna May Oliver
|Cinematography||Allen G. Siegler|
|Edited by||James E. Newcom|
A couple of bunglers (Jimmy Durante and Jack Pearl) are abandoned in the jungles of Africa by Baron Munchausen. A rescue team mistake Pearl for the missing Baron, and take the two of them back to America where they receive a hero's welcome.
The phony Baron is invited to speak at Cuddle College, run by Dean Primrose (Edna May Oliver). There he falls for ZaSu Pitts and meets three crazy janitors (The Three Stooges), and faces exposure as a fraud.
- Jack Pearl as The Famous Baron Munchausen of the Air
- Jimmy Durante as Joe McGoo – the Favorite "Schnozzle" of the Screen
- ZaSu Pitts as Zasu, Upstairs Maid
- Ted Healy as Head Janitor
- Edna May Oliver as Dean Primrose
- The Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Girls as Dancers
- Henry Kolker as Baron Munchausen
- William B. Davidson as General Broadcasting Representative
- Moe Howard as Janitor
- Larry Fine as Janitor
- Jerry Howard as Janitor
- Ben Bard as Charley Montague
- Claude King as Explorer
The film was a box-office disappointment for MGM.
A risque-for-its-time musical number involving a group of women in a shower, "Clean as a Whistle", was later featured in the 1994 retrospective That's Entertainment! III as an example of Pre-Code Hollywood.
- Meet the Baron at IMDb
- Meet the Baron at the TCM Movie Database
- Meet the Baron at ThreeStooges.net
- on YouTube
- on YouTube