Medical Aid for Palestinians
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Aim and historyEdit
Medical Aid for Palestinians' stated aim is to meet the humanitarian needs of the Palestinian people. The organization and its programmes have been supported by the British public, the UK Government (DfID), the European Union and international aid organizations. They deliver basic health and medical care to Palestinian refugees and they strive to establish permanent medical infrastructure in Palestinian communities by training health care practitioners, teaching medical vocational skills and addressing the requirements of particularly vulnerable groups such as people with disabilities.
MAP was founded in 1982 by Dr Swee Chai Ang FRCS, Major Derek Cooper, and his wife, Mrs Pamela Cooper, in the wake of the 1982 Sabra and Shatila massacre in Lebanon. Its president is Baroness Morris of Bolton who succeeded Lord Patten of Barnes and Helena Kennedy, Baroness Kennedy of The Shaws.
Medical Aid for Palestinians works with local non-governmental organizations and the Palestinian Health Service or provide practical medical support to Palestinians living under occupation or as refugees. Its programmes cover the five priority areas in the occupied Palestinian territory and Palestinian refugee communities in Lebanon:
- Essential primary and public healthcare
- Women and children's health
- Emergency preparedness and response
- Mental health and psychosocial support
Advocacy and campaignsEdit
MAP plays an active role in the UK raising awareness about violations of the Palestinian right to health, which is threatened by ongoing conflict, prolonged occupation and displacement. Working in coalition with other NGOs, the scope of MAP's advocacy programme ranges from raising public awareness to advocating on salient issues with governments and policy makers. The organisation has drawn attention as the beneficiary of Caryl Churchill's playlet Seven Jewish Children.
- "What We Do". map-uk.org. Retrieved 13 March 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-07-14. Retrieved 2007-08-07. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Medical Aid for Palestinians - Who We Are". www.map.org.uk. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- Healy, Patric. "Readings and Talks for Pro-Gaza Playlet". New York Times. Retrieved 15 March 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "MAP's London HQ is responsible for fundraising and directing the regional teams' work. It also is where MAP's events and advocacy work takes place." "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-04-26. Retrieved 2009-05-27. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) accessed May 27, 2009