McMenamins is a family-owned chain of brewpubs, breweries, music venues, historic hotels, and theater pubs in Oregon and Washington. Many of their locations are in rehabilitated historical properties; at least nine are on the National Register of Historic Places. According to the Brewers Association, McMenamins is one of the top 50 largest craft breweries in the United States.
Number of locations
|Western Oregon, Central Oregon, and Washington|
|Products||Beers, Wines, Cider, Distilled spirits, Coffee|
|Revenue||$180 million (estimated as of 2017)|
|Owner||Mike and Brian McMenamin (founders and majority owners)|
Number of employees
|3,528 (as of 2018)|
In 1985, McMenamins opened Oregon’s first brewpub in the Southwest Portland neighborhood of Hillsdale. Their first theater pub, and the first in Oregon, was the Mission Theater & Pub (1987). The company then entered the broader hospitality business starting in 1990, when they converted a 74-acre site (that at one time served as the Multnomah County Poor Farm) into McMenamins Edgefield. By 1997, food accounted for over half of McMenamins' total sales. The company opened its 55th location in April 2018.
- Over One Million Served Archived 2003-12-27 at the Wayback Machine, a May 13, 1998 article in Willamette Week
- Oregon places 4 breweries on list of nation's 50 biggest beermakers, from an April 14, 2009 article from the Portland Business Journal
- "Portland breweries". Travel Portland. 2013-06-20. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- Mohan, Marc (2014-06-07). "First look: McMenamins Mission Theater re-opens after renovations, focuses on second-run movie screenings". oregonlive.com. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- Crystal ball forecasts McMenamins' future, a January 1997 article from the Portland Business Journal
- Hale, Jamie (April 21, 2018) [online date April 19]. "McMenamins opens at Kalama Harbor, its 55th location". The Oregonian. p. B10. Retrieved 2018-04-25.