McHenry is a station on Metra's Union Pacific/Northwest Line, located in McHenry, Illinois. The station is the terminus of the McHenry Branch of the Northwest Line; inbound trains operate as far as Ogilvie Transportation Center in Chicago. The station is also the only station on the McHenry Branch after it splits off at Pingree Road. Although the line previously extended to Williams Bay, Wisconsin. Proposals exist to expand service on the line by adding stations in Prairie Grove and Johnsburg. It is the fifth furthest Metra Station from Chicago after Harvard, Antioch, Woodstock, and Kenosha, at 50.47 miles (81.3 km). Most Northwest Line trains operate along the Harvard branch to Harvard or Crystal Lake rather than the McHenry Branch, and the station is only served by three inbound and three outbound trains a day on weekdays and is closed on weekends and holidays. The station only has one track and one platform due to the low number of trains that serve the station. Two storage tracks are used to store two trains during overnight hours as well as weekends and holidays. The station is located at grade level. There is one grade crossing of a road at the station, which is placed under a Federal Railroad Administration horn quiet zone. As of 2018, McHenry is the 198th busiest of the 236 non-downtown stations in the Metra system, with an average of 85 weekday boardings.
|Location||4005 Main Street|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Passengers (2018)||85 (average weekday) 11.5%|
|Rank||198 out of 236|
McHenry station consists of one platform and two tracks. One track is used by revenue trains while the other is used as siding for out-of-service trains. The tracks continue to Barnard Mill Road in the Village of Ringwood, Illinois at the Dow Chemical plant, where the Union Pacific McHenry Subdivision ends. The tracks were pulled up between Richmond, Illinois and Ringwood in 1980 when service was cut back.[page needed] However, UP left trackage for local freight trains that served industries in and around McHenry. The final local freight train on this line ran in 2006, and the line has been Metra-only ever since.
As of October 2018:
- "Commuter Rail System Station Boarding/Alighting Count: Summary Results Fall 2018" (PDF). Metra. April 2019. Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 July 2019.
- Pelland, Maryan; Pelland, Dan (2001-06-06). McHenry County, Illinois. Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 9781439629970.
- "Dow Chemical [Ringwood]". Buzzfile. Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- Behrens, P. L. (2002). Steam Trains to Geneva Lake: C&NW's Elgin – Williams Bay Branch. P.L. Behrens, Hebron, Illinois.
- Villaire, Ted (2010-06-01). Best Rail Trails Illinois: More than 40 Rail Trails throughout the State. Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 9780762762897.
- "System Map" (PDF). Regional Transportation Authority (Illinois). October 2018. Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- Metra station page - McHenry
- Station from Main Street from Google Maps Street View
- Metra Union Pacific Northwest Line; McHenry Branch (ChicagoRailfan.net)
|This Illinois train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|