This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
McCarthy Tétrault LLP is a leading Canadian law firm that delivers integrated business law, litigation services, tax law, real property law, labour and employment law nationally and globally through offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montréal, Québec City, London (UK), as well as New York City.
|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
The firm represents Canadian and international clients, including major public institutions, financial services organizations, mining companies, manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies and other corporations.
McCarthy Tétrault’s London office specializes in assisting clients with their transatlantic transactions, and is staffed with both English and Canadian-qualified lawyers. A charter member of the Canada-UK Chamber of Commerce, it provides services in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
McCarthy Tétrault was created through the merger of several firms: McCarthy & McCarthy of Toronto, Clarkson Tétrault of Montreal, Shrum Liddle & Hebenton of Vancouver, and Black & Company of Calgary. This merger was initially denied by the Law Society of Alberta, which enacted rules designed to stop it. The rules prohibited members from entering into a partnership with anyone who was not a resident of Alberta, and prohibited members from being partners of more than one firm. This rule was challenged as being contrary to the mobility rights protected by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. In the resulting court case, Black v. Law Society of Alberta, the Supreme Court of Canada struck down the rules. The subsequent merger made McCarthy Tétrault Canada's first national law firm.
In a widely covered lawsuit in 2010, a McCarthy Tétrault lawyer sued the firm for gender discrimination. The case, Diane LaCalamita v. McCarthy Tetrault, was eventually settled out of court following concerns that details regarding the firm's finances and compensation structure would be made public.
- "The Global 100 Grew by Leaps and Bounds in 2018".
- "Canadian Firms Still Favored in Canada but Global Firms Gain Ground".
- "Canada Brand Indexes 2018".
- "People | McCarthy Tétrault". www.mccarthy.ca. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "London, UK | McCarthy Tétrault". www.mccarthy.ca. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "Introduction to McCarthy Tetrault" (PDF). Christoper Moore. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Black v. Law Society of Alberta". The David Asper Centre for Constitutional Rights. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Law Firm Rankings and Analysis". LMG Life Sciences. Retrieved 6 September 2016.