Mazafati (Persian: مضافتی; also called or mozafati and bam date) is a cultivar of the date. It is grown in southern Iran, mainly in Bam, Jiroft, Kahnuj (in Kerman province), Saravan, Nikshahr, Haji Abad and Iranshahr (in Sistan-o-Baluchestan province). It is a dark, soft, fleshy and sweet date of medium size, about 2.5–4.5 cm (1–2 in), with a relatively high moisture content of between 32-35%, varying with the time of harvest and the location of the grove. The date is suited for fresh consumption, i.e., not dried. At a temperature of −5 °C (23 °F) it can be kept for up to two years or at 0–5 °C (32–41 °F) it can be kept for one year. Mazafati date harvesting time depends on the variety and starts in August, lasting to the end of October.
Mazafati date palm in Bam
This variety is the most common variety of fresh dates for snacking and table eating.
As one of the largest growing regions of Mazafati dates, Bam region has around 28,000 ha (69,000 acres) of the lands under the harvest, of which about 5,000 ha (12,000 acres) are for young palm trees. It is estimated that Mazafati dates account for 20% of Iran’s total export of dates. Approximately 120,000 tons are harvested from the land annually. Mazafati date palms can stay in production for over 60 years.
Mazafati date seeds are made up of 7.7-9.7% oil and make up 5.6-14.2% of the date’s weight. They contain 7.17-9% moisture, 1.83-5.3% protein, 6.8-9.32% fat, 65.5% carbohydrates, 6.4-13.6% fiber, and 0.89-1.57% ash, as well as sterols, estrone, and an alkali-soluble polysaccharide. The fatty acids contained in the oil are 8% lauric, 4% myristic, 25% palmitic, 10% stearic, 45% oleic, and 10% linoleic acid, as well as some caprylic and capric acid.
|Nutritional value per 100 g|
|Energy||1,105 kJ (264 kcal)|
|Dietary fiber||26 g|
|†Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults. |
- Persian pronunciation: [mozɒːfæˈti]
- "Mazafati Dates". www.greendiamond.co. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Goldenberg, Nathan (1989). Thought for Food: A Study of the Development of the Food Division, Marks & Spencer : an Autobiography. Orpington: Food Trade Press. p. 73. ISBN 9780900379352.
- "Mazafati Date". www.greendiamond.co. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Rotab Mozafati Fresh Dates".
- "Mazafati Fresh Dates".
- "Supplier of Mazafati Date & Kimia Date | Green Diamond Dates". www.greendiamond.co. Retrieved 2016-09-25.