Mayte Garcia speaks to RumorFix in 2013
Mayte Jannell Garcia
November 12, 1973
Fort Rucker, Alabama, U.S.
|Education||General H. H. Arnold High School|
(m. 1996; div. 2000)
Early life and careerEdit
Garcia was born on November 12, 1973, at Fort Rucker, Alabama, army base. Garcia's parents are both of Puerto Rican descent. Her father John was a United States military pilot, and her mother Janelle (also known as simply Nelly) was a dancer. Garcia and her older sister, Janice, grew up in both Germany and the United States. Garcia spent the summers of her childhood with her extended family in San Juan, Puerto Rico. She began belly dancing at age three. On May 12, 1981, then 7 years old, Garcia appeared on the American television program That's Incredible! as the world's youngest professional belly dancer. Garcia graduated from General H.H. Arnold High School in Wiesbaden, Germany.
Career and professional relationship with PrinceEdit
Garcia first came to the attention of Prince in 1990 when her mother submitted a video cassette of Garcia's performance to a dancer in hopes they would pass the tape on to Prince. Prince met the young dancer within minutes after viewing the video while on tour in Germany. After she turned eighteen, she was hired to dance during his Diamonds and Pearls Tour. Garcia also describes the process by which she became a part of Prince's performance group, The New Power Generation (NPG), as follows on her official website: "Mayte's mother convinced some members of the New Power Generation to give her [audition] video to Prince. Ten minutes later, Prince had invited her backstage, and for two years, the two kept in touch. Finally, when she was eighteen, Prince asked her to be a part of the NPG". She became the focus of his next album, Love Symbol. She assumed the guise of an Egyptian princess for the concept album and the 3 Chains o' Gold video compilation. Garcia was in the NPG, from 1992 to 1996. Afterwards, she remained an associate of the NPG, dancing occasionally during Prince's tours in 1998 and 1999. In 1995, Prince produced an album for her, titled Child of the Sun, for a European release on his NPG Records label. This album had one single released overseas, "If I Love U 2 Nite". In 1997, she was the artistic director of the New Power Generation Dance Company on their Around the World in a Day tour. She also directed the music videos for "The One" for Prince. She choreographed the belly dancing routines for Britney Spears' "I'm a Slave 4 U" music video, as well as Spears' now iconic performance of the song at the 2001 MTV Video Music Awards. In 2017, Garcia released a book titled The Most Beautiful: My Life with Prince about her professional and personal relationship with Prince.
García has guest starred on various television series, such as 2 Broke Girls, Psych, The Closer, Las Vegas, Nip/Tuck, and Keeping Up with the Kardashians. She appeared twice as a reporter on the 2007 ABC television series Big Shots. She had a recurring role on Lifetime's Army Wives (2008–2009) as Jennifer Connor. She starred on Sí TV's 2004–05 program Across the Hall with Eric Cubiche. In 2009, she was a judge on the first season of Oxygen's Dance Your Ass Off. On June 25, 2012, she began appearing as a principal cast member on VH1's reality show Hollywood Exes. She was considered for the role of Nina Holiday on the television series Rizzoli & Isles when the character was originally known as Nina Hernandez.
In 1990, 16-year-old Garcia met Prince backstage in Barcelona after he saw a tape of her dancing. After graduating high school in Germany, she became a member of the New Power Generation. She was eighteen. Upon moving to Minneapolis, Prince and members of Prince’s team helped set her up with her own apartment. “At first, I stayed at the Sofitel, then they moved me to a nice little prairie house at the Country Suites, but I couldn’t even make a cup of tea there, so they got me an apartment and rented furniture.” At 19, she says he instructed her to get on birth control thus beginning their sexual relationship. On February 14, 1996, after a four-year courtship, Garcia married Prince. Their only child, Amiir, was born on October 16, 1996. Born with Pfeiffer syndrome and unable to breathe without a ventilator, he died six days after his birth. A week later, the couple were interviewed on Oprah, where they pretended their son was still alive. According to Garcia, they were unable to process his death. "We believed he was going to come back, that souls come back. We didn't want to acknowledge he was gone." After a subsequent miscarriage, their marriage deteriorated and they eventually divorced in 2000. Currently, she lives in Las Vegas with her daughter Gia, whom she adopted in 2013. She is a vegetarian, and an animal rights activist for PETA.
- "11 Things to Know About Mayte Garcia". LATINA. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- Garcia, Mayte (2017). The Most Beautiful: My Life With Prince. Orion Publishing. ISBN 9781409171201
- Mayte Garcia Official Bio. (n.d.) www.mayte.com
- Prince - He's going to party like it's... oh, never mind at exclaim.ca
- Crucial 1997 Archived 2007-12-12 at the Wayback Machine at Uptown
- Vergi Rodriguez bio Archived 2008-01-11 at the Wayback Machine at vergirodriguez.com
- Prince's Raspberry Ballet at Yahoo Music
- Call Me Prince Archived 2008-11-10 at the Wayback Machine, Icon Magazine, July 1998
- Garcia, Mayte (2017). The Most Beautiful: My Life with Prince. Orion Publishing Co. ISBN 9781409171201.
- Si TV's Mayte Garcia & Eric Cubiche ... at pr.com
- Garcia, Mayte (2017). The Most Beautiful: My Life With Prince. Orion Publishing.
- Mayte Garcia Bio. Retrieved from: https://mayte.com
- Garcia, Mayte. (2017). The Most Beautiful: My Life With Prince. Orion Publishing Group. pg. 115
- "Rocker's Princess Bride". Nydailynews.com. 1996-02-15. Archived from the original on 2009-07-09. Retrieved 2011-09-22. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Prince Book: Mayte Garcia on How the Death of Their Son Doomed the Marriage". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- Draper, Jason (2016). Prince: Life and Times: Revised and Updated Edition. Chartwell Books. p. 137. ISBN 9780760353639.
- "Prince Son: The Singer's Struggle To Have Children". HuffPost Canada. 2016-04-21. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- "Hollywood Exes Recap: Mayte Garcia adopts a baby girl!". Reality Tea. 2013-07-22. Retrieved 2017-07-21.