Mayor of Colombo
The Mayor of Colombo is the Mayor (and head) of the Colombo Municipal Council. The post was created in 1866 when the Colombo Municipal Council was established by the Legislative Council of Ceylon. The Mayor is assisted by the Deputy Mayor and a Municipal Commissioner. Since 1944 the majority of the mayors have been from the United National Party.
|Mayor of Colombo|
|Colombo Municipal Council|
|Seat||Town Hall, Colombo|
|Constituting instrument||Municipal Council Ordinance No. 17 of 1865|
|First holder||Charles Peter Layard|
|Deputy||M. T. M. Iqbal|
The mayor is elected in a general election held under the Local Authority Election Ordinance from the party gaining the highest number of seats in the municipal council. Once elected the mayor may hold office for four years.
Powers and functionsEdit
Most powers are derived from the Municipal Council Ordinance No. 29 of 1947. The Mayor serves as the chief executive of the municipal council.
The municipal council is responsible for:
Rights and privilegesEdit
Under the provisions of the Municipal Councils Ordinance the mayor and deputy mayor are ex-official Justice of the Peace and Unofficial Magistrates for the administrative district in which the municipality is situated for the duration of their tenure. This is provided so that the mayor or deputy mayor may preside over the municipal magistrate's court.
On formal occasions the Mayor wears a scarlet gown with the Mayoral Chain of Office.
The Mayor of Colombo's salary is Rs 30,000 per month, which is same of all mayors of municipalities in Sri Lanka.
List of MayorsEdit
|Name||Portrait||Took office||Left office||Refs|
|Charles Peter Layard||January 1866||June 1877|||
|F. R. Saunders||July 1877||December 1883|
|W. D. Wright||January 1884||July 1886|
|G. S. Williams||August 1886||August 1887|
|G. T. M. O'Brien||September 1887||September 1887|
|L. F. Lee||October 1887||November 1887|
|H. H. Cameron||November 1887||September 1893|
|C. E. D. Pennyquick||October 1893||April 1895|
|F. H. Price||May 1895||March 1901|
|A. S. Pagden||April 1901||February 1905|
|E. M. de C. Short||March 1905||May 1910|
|K. W. B. McLeod||May 1910||April 1912|
|C. R. Cumberland||May 1912||November 1912|
|W. E. Thorpe||December 1912||January 1913|
|E. B. Alexander||February 1913||October 1913|
|R. W. Byrde||November 1913||September 1919|
|T. Reid||October 1919||July 1924|
|Hubert Ernest Newnham||August 1924||July 1931|
|Walter Terence Stace||July 1931||March 1932|
|William Lindsay Murphy||March 1932||March 1935|
|William Lindsay Murphy||November 1935||May 1937|
- Municipal Council Ordinance
- Salaries local government representatives increased.
- "Charles Peter Layard". Genealogy.links.org. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- Arumugam, S. (1997). Dictionary of Biography of the Tamils of Ceylon (PDF). pp. 181–182.
- "He gave of his best, but died a disillusioned man". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka). 28 May 2000.
- Maniccavasagar, Chelvatamby (24 February 2012). "Colombo Municipal Council's 147th anniversary:". Daily News (Sri Lanka).
- "Our New President" (PDF). Journal of the Dutch Burgher Union of Ceylon. XXXV (4): 97. April 1946.
- "Mayoral Election in Colombo". The Straits Times. 13 February 1939. p. 16.
- Jayasekera, Upali S. (1 May 2013). "Father of the Labour Movement". The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka).
- Arumugam, S. (1997). Dictionary of Biography of the Tamils of Ceylon (PDF). p. 187.
- Maniccavasagar, Chelvatamby (5 September 2013). "Paying homage to Lord Ganesha". Daily News (Sri Lanka).
- Jayanetti, Lalith (4 October 2003). "Ceylon Theatres marks 75 years". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- Salgado, Upali K. (19 October 2011). ""Once Upon A Time" - Colombo And Nostalgic Memories". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- Arumugam, S. (1997). Dictionary of Biography of the Tamils of Ceylon (PDF). p. 166.
- "Rajapakse navigates a consensus, UNP girds to fight for CMC". The Island (Sri Lanka). 7 May 2006.
- Abeynayake, Stanley E. (30 April 2006). "Dr. N. M. Perera: The first Leftist Mayor of Colombo". Sunday Observer (Sri Lanka).
- Wijenayake, Walter (13 August 2009). "Dr. N. M. Perera: a politician ahead of his times". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- Perera, Ravi (30 June 2015). "NM at 110". Daily FT.
- Ganegoda, Ariyaratne (10 July 2012). "V.A.Sugathadasa Commemoration". Ceylon Today.
- Perera, Yohan (17 October 2011). "Mayor could do many things: Ranil". The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka).
- Jeyaraj, D. B. S. (15 June 2008). "Last TULF Leader standing: Sangaree at 75". The Nation (Sri Lanka). Archived from the original on 20 February 2014.
- "The man behind the specs". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka). 28 May 2006.
- Ranatunga, D. C. (7 May 2011). "Engineer's 'digs' in UK for a Colombo street name". Daily FT.
- Weerakoon, Gamini (11 January 2009). "Lasantha: A classic case of publish and be damned". The Sunday Leader.
- "The name game". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka). 14 March 1999.
- Wedaarachchi, L. S. Ananda (18 September 2011). "Six former Mayors back Milinda Moragoda". Sunday Observer (Sri Lanka).
- "The new Mayor of Colombo". The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka). 12 July 2006.
- Ferdinando, Shamindra (2 February 2006). "Mini battle for Key to Colombo city". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- Fernando, Basil (25 July 2012). "On the 23rd of Black July, one man destroyed his nation". Sri Lanka Guardian.
- "Sirisena Cooray is back in the UNP Central Committee". Asian Tribune. 22 September 2005.
- Rasooldeen, M. D. (18 March 2014). "Sri Lanka nominates new ambassador to KSA". Arab News.
- "Free spectacles were distributed at the Sri Lanka Islamic Centre, Maligawatte to mark the former Speaker and Minister M.H. Mohamed's 93rd birthday..." Daily FT. 21 June 2014.
- "Ex-Colombo Mayor passes away". The Island (Sri Lanka). 15 September 2003.
- "News in brief". Daily News (Sri Lanka). 13 September 2003.
- "'Siri Aiya' who revived the JVP". Daily FT. 18 April 2015.
- "Bullets after bullets hit UNP". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka). 16 February 1997.
- Satyapalan, Franklin R. (3 September 2011). "Mrs. Yamuna Ganeshalingam contests CMC on UPFA ticket". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- Maniccavasgar, Chelvathamy (3 January 2012). "K Ganeshalingam's 74th birth anniversary: Multi-faceted and multi-dimensional personality". Daily News (Sri Lanka). Archived from the original on 3 July 2013.
- Peiris, Roshan (30 March 1997). "Going for the old world charm". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka).
- "Why Karu Jayasuriya Should Lead the UNP". The Island (Sri Lanka). 16 January 2006.
- "Karu Jayasuriya's journey to 'political hell'". Ceylon Today. 22 June 2014.
- "Colombo taxi drivers rebel over uniforms". BBC News. 13 August 2000.
- "Omar Kamil elected MICH president". The Island (Sri Lanka). 3 September 2008.
- "Colombo Mayor thanks citizens". Daily News (Sri Lanka). 8 December 2001.
- "The Island". The Island (Sri Lanka). 4 June 2002.
- "UNP Colombo Central Operational Headquarters inaugurated". The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka). 5 November 2005.
- "New Colombo Mayor sworn in". BBC Sinhala. 2 June 2006.
- Gunaratna, Harischandra (3 June 2006). "Cooray swears in new Mayor". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- "Put your hands together… His Worship, The Mayor". The Nation (Sri Lanka). 4 June 2006.
- "Muzammil as Mayor of the CMC". The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka). 17 October 2011.
- "Dressing up His Worship!". Daily FT. 18 October 2011.
- Hulugalle, H. A. J. (September 1965). Centenary Volume of the Colombo Municipal Council (1865 - 1965) (PDF). Colombo Municipal Council. pp. 53–54.
- "Past Mayors of Colombo". Colombo Municipal Council. Archived from the original on 2014-08-20.
- Wagista, Kumaradasa (1 February 1998). "Century of caring for Colombo". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka).
- Maniccavasagar, Chelvatamby (24 February 2012). "Colombo Municipal Council's 147th anniversary: Largest Local Authority in SL". Daily News (Sri Lanka).
- Warnakulasuriya, Deepal (27 May 2007). "Colombo Mayor in a quagmire!". Sunday Observer (Sri Lanka).
- Amaranayake, Vindya; Wamanan, Arthur (26 September 2010). "In defence of the CMC…". The Nation (Sri Lanka).