Mayhem Festival 2010
Mayhem Festival 2010 was the third annual Mayhem Festival created by Kevin Lyman. The 2010 edition of the festival was co-headlined by Korn and Rob Zombie. As in previous years, the main sponsor of the festival is Rockstar Energy drink, and each date had a different Battle of the Bands winner performing on the Jägermeister stage. In addition to three stages with various heavy metal bands, Mayhem Festival 2010 also hosted other entertainment acts. As in previous years, the Freestyle Motocross stunt team Metal Mulisha returned, in addition to comedian Jay Oakerson and a costume party/variety act "Beacher's Madhouse" featuring DJ's and the scantily-clad "Beacher's Babies".
|North American tour by Mayhem Festival|
Promotional poster for Mayhem Festival 2010.
|Start date||July 10, 2010|
|End date||August 14, 2010|
|No. of shows||26|
|Mayhem Festival concert chronology|
In April 2010, an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico owned by Transocean and operated under contract for BP, exploded, which led to a massive oil spill in a disaster known as the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. At this time, several people around the world, including Mayhem Festival 2010 headliner Korn, decided to boycott BP by not purchasing their fuel. Jonathan Davis, the lead singer of Korn commented, "We need to do our part to let BP know there are consequences for causing something like this. We want to send a message to corporations like BP so that they will take more preventative measures in the future." Korn will not be using BP, or oil from partnering companies, to fuel their tour buses during upcoming concert dates and also encouraged the other 2010 Mayhem Festival bands to participate in the boycott. Several artists not on the Mayhem Festival later joined in on Korn's boycott, including Disturbed, Rise Against, and Megadeth. Korn's encouragement for Mayhem bands to join the boycott eventually made its way to tour founder Kevin Lyman, who decided the entire festival would not be using BP oil. In a press release, Lyman stated that he is, "encouraging everyone we deal with to find alternative ways to get down the road this summer."
Mayhem Festival 2010 lineupEdit
Silver Star StageEdit
- Shadows Fall (cancelled August 10 and 11, replaced by The Athiarchists for those dates)
- Winds of Plague* (cancelled August 10 and 11)
- Jägermeister Battle of the Bands winner
Note: Despite being announced as performing on the Jägermeister stage on press releases, Winds of Plague performed on the Silver Star stage on most of the tour dates.
- Prince, David J. (January 20, 2010). "Korn, Rob Zombie To Headline 2010 Mayhem Tour". Billboard. Retrieved January 20, 2010.
- "KORN, ROB ZOMBIE, LAMB OF GOD, Others Confirmed For ROCKSTAR ENERGY DRINK MAYHEM FESTIVAL". Blabbermouth. January 20, 2010. Archived from the original on January 23, 2010. Retrieved January 20, 2010.
- Debenedictis, Matt (June 9, 2010). "Korn Boycott BP for Summer Tours". Noisecreep. AOL Music. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- Cizmar, Martin (June 18, 2010). "Lady Gaga, Rise Against, Disturbed Join Korn's BP Boycott. Oh, Yes, and Creed Too!". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved June 18, 2010.
- "Avenged Sevenfold announce special appearance". Lick Library. April 16, 2010. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
- "Mayhem Festival 2010 Lineup". Official Mayhem website. Archived from the original on February 5, 2010. Retrieved June 14, 2010.