May Township, Cass County, Minnesota
|May Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||60.6 sq mi (156.9 km2)|
|• Land||60.0 sq mi (155.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,316 ft (401 m)|
|• Density||12.2/sq mi (4.7/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0664931|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 60.6 square miles (156.9 km²), of which 60.0 square miles (155.3 km²) is land and 0.6 square miles (1.6 km²) (0.99%) is water.
The city of Motley is located entirely within May Township geographically but is a separate entity.
- Doe Lake
- Fucat Lake
- Horseshoe Lake
- Solarz Lake
- Meadow Brook Township (north)
- Home Brook Township (northeast)
- Fairview Township (east)
- Sylvan Township (east)
- Rosing Township, Morrison County (southeast)
- Motley Township, Morrison County (south)
- Villard Township, Todd County (southwest)
- Becker Township (west)
- Byron Township (northwest)
The township contains Bridgeman Cemetery.
As of the census of 2000, there were 730 people, 265 households, and 205 families residing in the township. The population density was 12.2 people per square mile (4.7/km²). There were 330 housing units at an average density of 5.5/sq mi (2.1/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.95% White, 0.96% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.14% from other races, and 0.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.51% of the population.
There were 265 households out of which 35.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.3% were married couples living together, 4.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.3% were non-families. 17.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the township the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 25.9% from 25 to 44, 24.9% from 45 to 64, and 11.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 105.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 112.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $36,875, and the median income for a family was $40,227. Males had a median income of $26,146 versus $19,063 for females. The per capita income for the township was $14,854. About 6.8% of families and 7.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.6% of those under age 18 and 5.7% of those age 65 or over.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 90.