Matthew Christopher Schnell (born January 15, 1990) is an American professional mixed martial artist. He currently competes in the Flyweight division in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). Schnell formerly competed for Legacy Fighting Alliance, where he is a former Legacy Fighting Alliance Flyweight Champion. As of June 27, 2022, he is #8 in the UFC flyweight rankings.
|Born||Matthew Christopher Schnell|
January 15, 1990
Amory, Mississippi, United States
|Residence||Shreveport, Louisiana, United States|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||125 lb (57 kg; 8 st 13 lb)|
|Reach||72+1⁄2 in (184 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Shreveport, Louisiana, United States|
|Team||American Top Team (2014–2017) |
Combat Sports Academy (2017–present)
American Kickboxing Academy (2017–present)
|Rank||Black belt in Karate |
Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
In 2012, Schnell was one of the young MMA fighters featured in Caged - an MTV reality television series. The show focused on four prospective MMA fighters in small-town Louisiana. Schnell was one of the two fighters on the show, alongside Tony Kelley, to later fight professionally.
Legacy Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Schnell joined Legacy Fighting Championship in 2012 and went 9–2 in various promotions before joining the cast of The Ultimate Fighter, season 24.
The Ultimate Fighter: Tournament of ChampionsEdit
On May 11, 2016, the UFC announced that the 16 contestants for The Ultimate Fighter: Tournament of Champions would be flyweight champion fighters from various organizations around the world, with the winner being expected to have a chance to fight for the flyweight title against Demetrious Johnson. Schnell was announced as part of the cast in July and selected for Team Cejudo.
In the first round on the show, Schnell seeded at #6 faced #11 Matt Rizzo and defeated him in the second round via a triangle choke submission. Schnell advanced to the quarterfinals and faced #3 seed Tim Elliott. He lost the fight via first-round submission due to a bulldog choke.
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
After his stint on The Ultimate Fighter, Schnell was chosen as one of the cast mates to get a contract. Schnell fought Rob Font in the bantamweight division at The Ultimate Fighter: Tournament of Champions Finale. He lost the fight via TKO in the first round.
As the first fight of his new, four-fight contract, Schnell faced Jordan Espinosa on August 3, 2019 at UFC on ESPN 5. He won the fight via a triangle choke submission in the first round. The win also earned Schnell his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
Schnell was expected to face Tyson Nam on September 12, 2020 at UFC Fight Night 183. However, Schnell was removed from the fight on the day of the event's weigh-in for health issues related to his weight cut. As a result, the fight was cancelled. The bout with Nam was first rescheduled to UFC Fight Night: Thompson vs. Neal, on December 19, 2020, and then to UFC on ESPN: Chiesa vs. Magny, on January 20, 2021. He won the bout by split decision.
As the first fight of his new multi-fight contract, Schnell was scheduled to meet Alex Perez May 15, 2021 at UFC 262. However, Perez pulled out of the fight for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by Rogério Bontorin. At the weigh ins, Bontorin weighed in at 137 pounds, 1 pound over the bantamweight non-title fight limit. The bout proceeded at catchweight and Bontorin was fined 20% of his individual purse, which went to Schnell. Schnell lost the bout via unanimous decision.
The bout with Perez was rescheduled and was expected to take place on August 28, 2021 at UFC on ESPN: Barboza vs. Chikadze. However, for undisclosed reason the bout was moved to UFC Fight Night: Brunson vs. Till. However, the bout was yet again postponed for unknown reasons to UFC 269. At the weigh-ins Alex Perez weighed in at 126.25 pounds, a quarter-pound over the flyweight non-title fight limit. Shortly after the weigh-ins, officials had announced that the bout had been cancelled due Schnell was forced to withdraw from the event due to a medical issue. The pair was rescheduled to UFC 271 on February 12, 2022. At weigh-ins, Perez came in at 128 pounds and did not attempt to try again, resulting in Matt Schnell refusing to take the catchweight bout and the bout being scrapped.
Schnell faced Brandon Royval on May 7, 2022 at UFC 274. He lost the back-and-forth fight via a guillotine choke submission in the first round. The fight also won both men the Fight of the Night bonus award.
Schnell faced Su Mudaerji on July 16, 2022 at UFC on ABC 3. After getting hit and wobbled by multiple flush punches and elbow strikes Schnell gain top position and came back to win the bout via technical submission with a triangle choke in the second round. This win earned both fighters the Fight of the Night bonus award.
Schnell and his wife Morgan have a daughter (born 2020).
Championships and accomplishmentsEdit
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|23 matches||16 wins||6 losses|
|Win||16–6 (1)||Su Mudaerji||Technical Submission (triangle choke)||UFC on ABC: Ortega vs. Rodríguez||July 16, 2022||2||4:24||Elmont, New York, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||15–6 (1)||Brandon Royval||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 274||May 7, 2022||1||2:14||Phoenix, Arizona, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|NC||15–5 (1)||Rogério Bontorin||NC (overturned)||UFC 262||May 15, 2021||3||5:00||Houston, Texas, United States||Bantamweight bout; Bontorin missed weight (137 lb). Originally a unanimous decision win for Bontorin; overturned after he tested positive for hydrochlorothiazide.|
|Win||15–5||Tyson Nam||Decision (split)||UFC on ESPN: Chiesa vs. Magny||January 20, 2021||3||5:00||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Loss||14–5||Alexandre Pantoja||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. The Korean Zombie||December 21, 2019||1||4:17||Busan, South Korea|
|Win||14–4||Jordan Espinosa||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC on ESPN: Covington vs. Lawler||August 3, 2019||1||1:23||Newark, New Jersey, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||13–4||Louis Smolka||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. dos Santos||March 9, 2019||1||3:18||Wichita, Kansas, United States||Bantamweight bout.|
|Win||12–4||Naoki Inoue||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Edwards||June 23, 2018||3||5:00||Kallang, Singapore|
|Win||11–4||Marco Beltrán||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 216||October 7, 2017||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||10–4||Hector Sandoval||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Lobov||April 22, 2017||1||4:24||Nashville, Tennessee, United States||Return to Flyweight.|
|Loss||10–3||Rob Font||KO (knee and punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Tournament of Champions Finale||December 3, 2016||1||3:47||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Bantamweight debut.|
|Win||10–2||Klayton Mai||Submission (armbar)||Legacy FC 52||March 25, 2016||1||2:14||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States||Won the interim Legacy FC Flyweight Championship.|
|Win||9–2||Jonathan Martinez||DQ (illegal knee)||Legacy FC 49||December 4, 2015||2||2:21||Bossier City, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||8–2||Vanderlei Carvalho Leite||KO (punches)||Legacy FC 42||June 26, 2015||1||0:19||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||7–2||Albert Tapia||Submission (armbar)||Legacy FC: Legacy Kickboxing 2||May 29, 2015||2||3:19||Shreveport, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||6–2||Chris Myers||Submission (guillotine choke)||Caged Warrior Championship 6||February 21, 2015||1||0:17||Houma, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||5–2||Thomas Coleman||Submission (inverted triangle choke)||Summit FC 10||November 22, 2014||1||N/A||Tupelo, Mississippi, United States|
|Win||4–2||Latral Perdue||KO (punch)||GFA 27: The Stage||September 19, 2014||1||N/A||Bossier City, Louisiana, United States|
|Loss||3–2||Klayton Mai||Submission (guillotine choke)||Legacy FC 32||June 20, 2014||2||1:24||Bossier City, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||3–1||Roger Reyes||Submission (guillotine choke)||WFC 17: Battle at the Belle||January 25, 2014||1||1:26||Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States|
|Loss||2–1||Elias Garcia||Decision (majority)||Legacy FC 20||May 31, 2013||3||5:00||Corpus Christi, Texas, United States|
|Win||2–0||Marcus Dupar||Submission (armbar)||Legacy FC 15||November 16, 2012||1||1:06||Houston, Texas, United States,|
|Win||1–0||Ryan Hollis||Decision (split)||Legacy FC 14||September 14, 2012||3||5:00||Houston, Texas, United States,||Flyweight debut.|
Mixed martial arts exhibition recordEdit
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|2 matches||1 win||1 loss|
|Loss||1–1||Tim Elliott||Submission (guillotine choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Tournament of Champions||November 16, 2016||1||3:26||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||TUF 24 Quarter-final round|
|Win||1–0||Matt Rizzo||Submission (triangle choke)||October 5, 2016||2||2:04||TUF 24 Round of 16|
*Date given is the air date of the episode. The actual dates of the fight are not released by the UFC
- Shane Connelly (August 1, 2019). "Matt Schnell is fighting for respect at UFC Newark". thebodylockmma.com.
- John Hyon Ko (July 17, 2019). "Interview: Matt Schnell (UFC Flyweight)" (Podcast).
- Farah Hannoun (November 23, 2019). "Matt Schnell on UFC Busan fight vs. Alexandre Pantoja: 'I either spark this kid, or it's 'Fight of the Night". MMAjunkie.com.
- "Matt Schnell | UFC". UFC.com. 14 September 2018. Retrieved February 16, 2021.
- "STATE OF NEVADA DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS AND INDUSTRYATHLETIC COMMISSION" (PDF). boxing.nv.gov. October 7, 2017. Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- "UFC Rankings | UFC.com". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2022-06-28.
- III, Roy Lang. "Former Shreve student's UFC dreams begin Wednesday". The Times. Retrieved 2021-12-08.
- Joseph Benavidez e Henry Cejudo são escolhidos para servir como treinadores no 'The Ultimate Fighter 24'
- Mike Sloan (16 November 2016). "'TUF 24' Recap: Episode 10". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- Fowlkes, Ben (3 December 2016). "TUF 24 Finale results: Rob Font wastes Matt Schnell with front kick, knee, ground-and-pound". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 13 April 2022.
- Marrocco, Steven (22 April 2017). "UFC Fight Night 108 results: Risky Hector Sandoval finishes Matt Schnell with hammerfists". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 13 April 2022.
- "UFC 216 results: Matt Schnell outworks Marco Beltran for decision and much-needed win". MMAjunkie. 2017-10-08. Retrieved 2017-10-08.
- Sherdog.com. "Ovince St. Preux vs. Tyson Pedro, Two Other Bouts Booked for UFC Fight Night 132 in Singapore". Sherdog. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "UFC Fight Night 132 results: Matt Schnell counters his way to split over Naoki Inoue". MMAjunkie. 2018-06-23. Retrieved 2018-06-23.
- DNA, MMA (2 February 2019). "Louis Smolka vs. Matt Schnell toegevoegd aan UFC Wichita". Retrieved 2019-02-02.
- Hiergesell, Dan (2019-03-09). "Highlights! Smolka Gets Choked Out By 'Danger' At UFC Wichita". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- Cole Shelton (2019-06-13). "Matt Schnell vs. Jordan Espinosa slated for UFC on ESPN 5". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- Fortune, Ryan (2019-08-03). "UFC Newark Results: Matt Schnell Triangles Jordan Espinosa in First Round". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-08-04.
- "UFC Newark bonus winners: Nasrat Haqparast's vicious KO leads $50K winners". mmamania.com. 2019-08-03. Retrieved 2019-08-03.
- Shelton, Cole (2019-09-04). "Alexandre Pantoja vs. Matt Schnell set for UFC Fight Night 165 in South Korea". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2019-09-04.
- admincsp (2019-12-21). "UFC Busan Results: Alexandre Pantoja Knocks Out Matt Schnell In First". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-12-22.
- Farah Hannoun (2020-07-03). "Matt Schnell vs. Tyson Nam joins UFC's September 12 lineup". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 2020-07-22.
- Staff (2020-09-11). "Weight-cutting issues scrap Tyson Nam from Matt Schnell fight at UFC on ESPN+ 35". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-09-11.
- Nolan King (2020-10-25). "UFC books Matt Schnell vs. Tyson Nam for Dec. 19 event in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-10-25.
- Jay Anderson (2021-01-20). "UFC Fight Island 8 Results: Matt Schnell Turns Up the Volume Against Tyson Nam". cagesidepress. Retrieved 2021-01-20.
- DNA, MMA (2021-02-21). "BREAKING: Alex Perez vs. Matt Schnell toegevoegd aan UFC evenement op 15 mei". MMA DNA. Retrieved 2021-02-22.
- Farah Hannoun (April 29, 2021). Matt Schnell previews UFC 262 fight, says he wants Alex Perez rebooked. MMAjunkie.com – via YouTube.
- "With Alex Perez out, Rogerio Bontorin targeted to fight Matt Schnell at UFC 262". MMA Junkie. 2021-04-21. Retrieved 2021-04-22.
- Alexander K. Lee (2021-05-14). "UFC 262 weigh-in results: Michael Chandler, Charles Oliveira on point for vacant lightweight championship main event". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-05-14.
- Anderson, Jay (2021-05-15). "UFC 262 Results: Rogerio Bontorin Gets Past Matt Schnell With Late Surge". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- Dorff, Marcel (2021-07-08). "Alex Perez vs. Matt Schnell wederom geboekt, ditmaal voor UFC evenement op 28 augustus". MMA DNA. Retrieved 2021-07-08.
- ATSteveDuncan (2021-08-07). "Alex Perez vs. Matt Schnell reprogramado para UFC Fight Night del 4 de septiembre". MMA.uno , #1 En noticias de Artes Marciales Mixtas (MMA) en Español. (in Spanish). Retrieved 2021-08-07.
- King, Kristen (2021-09-20). "Fights on Tap: Brandon Moreno vs. Deiveson Figueiredo 3 among 15 UFC bouts announced". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2021-09-29.
- Alexander K. Lee (2021-12-10). "UFC 269 weigh-in results: Charles Oliveira, Amanda Nunes, challengers on weight for title fights, one bout cancelled". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-12-10.
- Sherdog.com. "Alex Perez vs. Matt Schnell Rescheduled for UFC 271 in Houston". Sherdog. Retrieved 2022-01-04.
- "Matt Schnell explains difficult decision to turn down fight after opponent missed weight at UFC 271". MMA Junkie. 2022-02-11. Retrieved 2022-02-11.
- Martin, Damon (2022-02-24). "Brandon Royval vs. Matt Schnell added to UFC 274". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2022-02-25.
- Behunin, Alex (2022-05-07). "UFC 274: Brandon Royval Taps Matt Schnell In A Wild Two Minute Scrap". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2022-05-08.
- Anderson, Jay (2022-05-08). "UFC 274: Chandler, Fialho Earn Performance of the Night Bonuses". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2022-05-08.
- Anderson, Jay (2022-06-01). "UFC Long Island Set to Air on ABC, Multiple Fights Announced for July 16 Event". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2022-06-02.
- Anderson, Jay (2022-07-16). "UFC Long Island: Matt Schnell Secures Brilliant Comeback Win Over Su Mudaerji". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2022-07-17.
- Kristen King (2022-07-16). "UFC Long Island post-fight bonuses: Matt Schnell's all-time comeback nets him $50,000". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2022-07-16.
- Farah Hannoun and Nolan King (2022-08-04). "UFC adds Matt Schnell vs. Matheus Nicolau to Dec. 3 lineup". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 2022-08-04.
- Zac Pacleb (January 18, 2021). "Matt Schnell Is Focused On Wins, Not Statements". Ultimate Fighting Championship.
- Lee, Alexander (2019-08-03). "UFC on ESPN 5 bonuses: Antonina Shevchenko, Lucie Pudilova snag Fight of the Night". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2019-08-03.
- Sherdog.com. "Matt". Sherdog. Retrieved 2019-12-22.