Matthew William Magill (born November 10, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Seattle Mariners of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Los Angeles Dodgers, Cincinnati Reds, and Minnesota Twins.
Matt Magill with the Albuquerque Isotopes
|Seattle Mariners – No. 61|
|Born: November 10, 1989|
Simi Valley, California
|April 27, 2013, for the Los Angeles Dodgers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Earned run average||4.52|
Los Angeles DodgersEdit
Magill was drafted by the Dodgers in the 31st round of the 2008 MLB Draft out of Royal High School in Simi Valley, California. He played with the Gulf Coast Dodgers in 2008, Ogden Raptors in 2009, Great Lakes Loons in 2010 and Rancho Cucamonga Quakes in 2011. With the AA Chattanooga Lookouts in 2012 he was 11-8 with a 3.76 ERA and was selected to the Southern League midseason All-Star team. The Dodgers added him to the 40 man roster after the season and promoted him to the AAA Albuquerque Isotopes to start 2013.
He was called up to the Majors for the first time on April 27, 2013 to start against the Milwaukee Brewers. He pitched 6.2 innings while allowing two runs and striking out seven. Magill made 3 more starts with the Dodgers before he was optioned back to Triple-A Albuquerque on May 20. He had no record and a 5.00 ERA in his 4 starts. Magill was recalled again to make an emergency start in place of Hyun-Jin Ryu on June 2. Magill spent the entire 2014 season with the Isotopes, where he worked as both a starter and a reliever. He was in 36 games and started 12 of them. He was 7-6 with a 5.21 ERA.
San Diego PadresEdit
On January 24, 2018, Magill signed a minor league contract with the Minnesota Twins. His contract was selected by the Twins on April 28. Magill spent the remainder of the season pitching out of the bullpen, appearing in 40 games. He struck out 56 in 56 2⁄3 innings. He went 2–0 with a 4.45 ERA in 28 innings for the Twins in 2019, before being designated for assignment on July 21.
- "Reds' Bailey, Magill have Tommy John surgery". WDSU News. May 8, 2015. Retrieved June 7, 2015.
- White, R.J. (June 7, 2015). "Reds release Matt Magill". CBS Sports. Retrieved June 7, 2015.
- Adams, Steve (January 30, 2017). "Minor MLB Transactions: 1/30/17". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- "Twins' Matt Magill: Signs with Twins". CBSSports.com. January 24, 2018.
- Downing, Kyle (April 28, 2018). "Twins Designate David Hale, Select Matt Magill". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved April 28, 2018.
- La Velle E. Neal III (July 21, 2019). "Twins designate Matt Magill for assignment, recall Kohl Stewart". The Star Tribune. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Lauren Smith (July 21, 2019). "In latest effort to stabilize bullpen, Mariners acquire Matt Magill from Minnesota". The News Tribune. Retrieved July 21, 2019.