Matt Doyle (actor)
Matthew Finnen "Matt" Doyle (born May 13, 1987) is an American actor and singer-songwriter. He is perhaps best known for his work in Spring Awakening, War Horse and The Book of Mormon on Broadway and as Glenn Mangan / Juliet in 2011 Shakespeare film adaptation Private Romeo directed by Alan Brown. He has also been developing a singing career with live shows and two EPs Daylight (2011) and Constant (2012). He released his first full-length album, Uncontrolled, on February 26, 2016.
Matthew Finnen Doyle
May 13, 1987
Life and careerEdit
After graduating from Redwood High School in Larkspur, California, Doyle went on to study classical theatre for a year at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. Following his studies, Doyle moved to New York City.
Doyle made his Broadway debut in 2007 as a stand-by in the original Broadway production of Spring Awakening. Following original cast member Jonathan B. Wright’s departure, he was promoted to the role of Hanschen until the show closed in January 2009.
Doyle’s next Broadway role would be Hugo Peabody in the 2009 revival of Bye Bye Birdie. In 2011, he appeared as Billy Naracott (u/s Albert) in Lincoln Center Theater’s production of War Horse. Following War Horse, he starred as Elder Price in the Broadway production of Book of Mormon from November 2012 to January 2014.
Doyle has also taken roles on screen in television and film. He is perhaps best known for his role as Jonathan, Eric Van Der Woodsen’s boyfriend, on hit CW show Gossip Girl. He also starred in Alan Brown’s adaptation of Romeo and Juliet, Private Romeo, and had a small singing role in the 2009 film, Once More with Feeling.
In addition to his roles on Broadway and on screen, Doyle has starred in numerous Off-Broadway and regional productions. He most recently starred as Anthony in Barrow Street Theatre’s production of Sweeney Todd. He also starred in West Side Story at the Paper Mill Playhouse, Ryan Scott Oliver’s Jasper in Deadland at the West End Theatre in New York and the 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle, Brooklynite at the Vineyard Theatre, and Giant in Dallas. He also notably appeared as Peter on a recording of Bare: A Pop Opera.
Doyle is also a singer/songwriter and author. He released his first EP, Daylight, in 2011, with a follow-up EP in 2012, Constant. He released his first full-length album, Uncontrolled, in 2016. Doyle’s writing partner is musical theatre composer, Will Van Dyke. Doyle created a web comic, Dents, with childhood friend, Beth Behrs. The comic is available on Webtoon and is in talks for development into a television series.
Doyle performed as Georgie in the 2017 Off-Broadway adaptation of A Clockwork Orange, which opened September 25 at the New World Stages.
- Solo album
- 2016: Uncontrolled
- With The Whiskey 5
- 2014: Make the Season Bright
- Extended plays
- 2012: Constant (EP)
- 2011: Daylight (EP)
- Cast albums/Anthologies
- 2008–2011: Gossip Girl (TV series, 8 episodes as Jonathan Whitney)
- 2009: Once More with Feeling as Young Nonno
- 2011: Private Romeo as Glenn Mangan/Juliet
- 2007: Navigate this Maze as himself
- "PLAYBILL.COM'S CUE & A: Matt Doyle - Playbill". Playbill.
- "Matt Doyle". Mattdoylemusic.com. 2012-06-12. Archived from the original on 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2013-12-05. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Press Office" (PDF). LAMDA. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-10-02. Retrieved 2013-12-05. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Brantley, Ben (2009-10-16). "Music to Play, Places to Go, People to See". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Complete Cast of War Horse Includes Seth Numrich, Matt Doyle, Peter Hermann & More". Broadway.com. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Matt Doyle to Play Elder Price on Broadway in The Book of Mormon". Broadway.com. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Matt Doyle". IMDb. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- Private Romeo (2011), retrieved 2017-07-25
- Once More with Feeling (2009), retrieved 2017-07-25
- Collins-hughes, Laura (2014-03-26). "'Jasper in Deadland' Is a Musical About the Underworld". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Matt Doyle Will Return to Deadland to Headline Jasper in Deadland's Seattle Premiere | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Brooklynite | Book by Michael Mayer and Peter Lerman". Vineyard Theatre. 2014-08-15. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Giant, With Kate Baldwin, Aaron Lazar, P.J. Griffith and Matt Doyle, in Dallas | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "bare: The Album - Performers". www.barethealbum.com. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- Desk, BWW News. "Matt Doyle Releases Debut EP - 'Daylight'". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "'2 Broke Girls' Star Launches YA Webcomic 'Dents' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Matt Doyle & The Whiskey 5 | Feinstein's/54 Below". Feinstein's/54 Below. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Matt Doyle to Play Joe's Pub, with Guests Jennifer Damiano and Emma Hunton". Broadway.com. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "How one of Broadway's rising stars found his footing in N.J."
- "♫ Make the Season Bright - Matt Doyle and the Whiskey 5. Listen @cdbaby".
- "Our First Mistake - Albums - Kerrigan-Lowdermilk". kerrigan-lowdermilk.com. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- ""Thirteen Stories Down" The Songs of Jonathan Reid Gealt". SH-K-BOOM RECORDS. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- ""(Sorta) Love Songs" The Songs of Scott Burkell & Paul Loesel". SH-K-BOOM RECORDS. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "bare: The Album - Performers". www.barethealbum.com.