Material ConneXion is a materials consultancy, headquartered in New York City, that helps companies source advanced materials to enhance the performance, aesthetics and sustainability of their projects.
In 1997, Material ConneXion was launched by George Beylerian, former vice president of marketing and creative director of Steelcase Furniture. At Steelcase, Beylerian created a small exhibition of new materials, and recognized the need for a materials library service.
Material ConneXion maintains a physical library of over 10,000 materials and processes categorized based on their chemical composition: Polymers, Naturals, Metals, Glass, Processes, Ceramics, Cement-based, Carbon-based.
In 2016, the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) opened a Material ConneXion Library at its corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C. in partnership with the American Chemistry Council (ACC). The library features samples of innovative materials and products with an emphasis on health and wellness in the built environment.
In 2001, designer Sandy Chilewich discovered a woven vinyl material in Material ConneXion's library that led to her Chilewich brand of household products and accessories. The company also worked with designer Harry Allen to find a sustainable, low-cost, post-industrial polypropylene packaging material for Aveda’s Ukuru line of cosmetics. In 2004, Material ConneXion helped Nike source a monofilament sleeving normally used to protect PVC pipes from bursting for use in its Air Jordan XIX.
Through its partnership with McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry (MBDC) and the Environmental Protection and Encouragement Agency (EPEA), Material ConneXion is the only Materials Library in the world to feature Cradle to Cradle assessed and certified materials and the only materials consultancy to offer Cradle to Cradle Certification and Cradle to Cradle product development.
In 2007, Material ConneXion was named a “Top Eco-Innovator” by The New York Times for its efforts to make information on sustainable materials and sustainable design practices more readily available to designers and corporations.
- "FLYP, "Material Evidence"". Flypmedia.com. 2008-10-23. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "Sandow Acquires Material ConneXion, Culture & Commerce". Contract Design. Retrieved 2019-07-12.
- "ASID opens Material ConneXion library at Society's new headquarters". www.asid.org. Retrieved 2019-07-12.
- "Interior Design,"Material ConneXion Taps into the Philippines"". Interiordesign.net. 2006-04-19. Archived from the original on 2012-08-02. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "WWD,"Making a ConneXion"". Accessmylibrary.com. 2002-08-13. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- Leland, John (2002-03-14). "The New York Times,"The Guru of Goo (And Gels, Mesh and Resin)"". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- Finn, Bridget (2004-10-01). "CNN Money". Money.cnn.com. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- Krabel, Kalina (2014-01-27). "SANDOW Opens the Material Connexion Library". Harper's BAZAAR. Retrieved 2019-07-12.
- Jana, Reena (2007-09-19). "BusinessWeek". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "The New York Times, "The Eco-Innovators"". Nytimes.com. 2007-05-20. Retrieved 2009-12-28.