This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Material ConneXion is a materials consultancy that helps companies source advanced materials to enhance the performance, aesthetics and sustainability of their projects. The company is headquartered in New York City and was founded in 1997. Material ConneXion was acquired by SANDOW in 2011.
Material ConneXion maintains a physical library of over 8000 materials and processes categorized based on their chemical composition: Polymers, Naturals, Metals, Glass, Processes, Ceramics, Cement-based, Carbon-based.
Work and receptionEdit
In 2001, designer Sandy Chilewich discovered a woven vinyl material in Material ConneXion's library that led to her Chilewich brand of household products and accessories. The company also worked with designer Harry Allen to find a sustainable, low-cost, post-industrial polypropylene packaging material for Aveda’s Ukuru line of cosmetics. In 2004, Material ConneXion helped Nike source a monofilament sleeving normally used to protect PVC pipes from bursting for use in its Air Jordan XIX.
In 2007, Material ConneXion was named a “Top Eco-Innovator” by The New York Times for its efforts to make information on sustainable materials and sustainable design practices more readily available to designers and corporations.
In 2016, the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) opened a Material ConneXion Library at its corporate headquarters in Washington, D.C. in partnership with the American Chemistry Council (ACC). The library features samples of innovative materials and products with an emphasis on health and wellness in the built environment.
Through its partnership with McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry (MBDC) and the Environmental Protection and Encouragement Agency (EPEA), Material ConneXion is the only Materials Library in the world to feature Cradle to Cradle assessed and certified materials and the only materials consultancy to offer Cradle to Cradle Certification and Cradle to Cradle product development.
- "Sandow Acquires Material ConneXion, Culture & Commerce". Contract Design. Retrieved 2019-07-12.
- "FLYP, "Material Evidence"". Flypmedia.com. 2008-10-23. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "Interior Design,"Material ConneXion Taps into the Philippines"". Interiordesign.net. 2006-04-19. Archived from the original on 2012-08-02. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "WWD,"Making a ConneXion"". Accessmylibrary.com. 2002-08-13. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- Leland, John (2002-03-14). "The New York Times,"The Guru of Goo (And Gels, Mesh and Resin)"". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- Finn, Bridget (2004-10-01). "CNN Money". Money.cnn.com. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- Krabel, Kalina (2014-01-27). "SANDOW Opens the Material Connexion Library". Harper's BAZAAR. Retrieved 2019-07-12.
- "The New York Times, "The Eco-Innovators"". Nytimes.com. 2007-05-20. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "ASID opens Material ConneXion library at Society's new headquarters". www.asid.org. Retrieved 2019-07-12.
- Jana, Reena (2007-09-19). "BusinessWeek". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 2009-12-28.