Master (Russian band)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genres||Thrash metal, speed metal, heavy metal, groove metal (1996)|
|Associated acts||Aria, Epidemia, Sepultura|
In 1987, Alik Granovsky, Andrey Bolshakov, Kirill Pokrovsky, and Igor Molchanov left the heavy metal band Aria due to their conflict with the producer Victor Vekshtein. Vocalist Mikhail Seryshev and guitarist Sergey Popov joined them to play live concerts. Their first self-titled release was half-completed by Aria's songs written by Granovsky and Bolshakov, but the rest of the songs were completely different in style. Master turned away from Aria's NWOBHM-like style to speed/thrash metal. The second album showed a merciless thrash attack; hard aggressive riffs and fast tempos aplenty.
The next two albums with English lyrics presented classical thrash metal. In 1993 Andrey Bolshakov left the band. The following album Songs of the Dead turned out to have more modern and groovy sound, and the band returned to Russian as the language of their lyrics. Since then, Master has gone away from the thrash metal of their earlier works, and their new albums bear more heavy/power spirit.
In 1997, Seryshev dismissed the French tour. Master toured with Arthur Berkut on vocals, but after the tour Popov, Tony Shender (drums) and he left Master and started a new band called Zooom. Because of his opera career and singing in a church choir, Seryshev was unable to work with Master and left the band; soon after Lexx (Alexey Kravchenko) took his place on vocals. Also, Alexey Strike, a famous Russian guitarist, joined the band. Alexander Karpuhin took over the drums.
In 2011, Andrey Smirnov and Oleg Khovrin left the band. Alexander "Gips" took over the drums and Leo Fomin remained the only guitarist.
- Мастер (Master) — 1987 (more than 1 million copies)
- С Петлёй На шее (S Petlyoy Na Sheye) (S Petlyoy Na Sheye — With a Lee on the Neck) — 1989 (more than two million copies)
- Talk of the Devil — 1992
- Maniac Party — 1994
- Песни Мёртвых (Pesni Myortvih) (Pesni Myortvih - Songs of The Dead) — 1996
- Лабиринт (Labyrinth) (Labirint - Labyrinth) — 2000
- 33 Жизни (33 Zhizni - 33 lives) — 2004
- По Ту Сторону Сна (Po Tu Storonu Sna — The Other Side Of a Dream) — 2005
- VIII — 2010
- Мастер времени — 2020
- Live —1995
- The Best. Kontsert V Moskve '97 (The Best. Concert in Moscow '97) (also released as Live 97) — 1997
- Klassika 1987-2002 (Classics of 1987-2002) — 2001
- Tribute to Harley-Davidson — 2001
- Akustika (Acoustics) — 2005
- XX let (XX years) — 2008