Mass Appeal Records
Mass Appeal Records is an American independent record label founded in 2014. The label is the music division of the Mass Appeal Media Group. In May 2014, it was announced that American rapper Nas was launching an indie label with Mass Appeal with Peter Bittenbender of company Decon. The label’s current roster includes artists such as: Nas, DJ Shadow, Mannie Fresh, Dave East, Fashawn, Black Milk, and Keyon Harrold.
|Mass Appeal Records|
|Parent company||Universal Music Group|
|Founder||Nasir "Nas" Jones |
|Distributor(s)||RED Distribution Universal|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||New York City, New York|
|Official website||Official website|
Since its inception, the label has put out releases including the singles "Old English” from Young Thug, Freddie Gibbs, and ASAP Ferg and Jay Electronica’s “Exhibit C”; albums such as Fashawn’s The Ecology, Pimp C's Long Live the Pimp, and J Dilla's The Diary, and mixtapes such as Dave East's Hate Me Now.
On October 24, 2014, the label released Run the Jewels album Run the Jewels 2. The album was crowned as number-one album of the year by Pitchfork, Stereogum and Spinand number-two hip hop album of the year by Rolling Stone. In 2015, Marvel Comics released comic book covers inspired by Run the Jewels.
Following his signing to Mass Appeal, Fashawn released his long-awaited second album The Ecology on February 24, 2015. The album features guest appearances by Nas, Aloe Blacc, Dom Kennedy, and more.
Mass Appeal Records released The Mountain Will Fall, the fifth studio album by DJ Shadow on June 24, 2016. It was his first studio album since 2011's The Less You Know, the Better. The album was ranked at number one on Top Dance/Electronic Albums at Billboard.
On December 4, 2015, the label released Pimp C's fifth album, the posthumous Long Live the Pimp. The following year, on April 15, 2016, the label released J Dilla's vocal album The Diary. The album was ranked at number two on Pitchfork's list of "Most Promising" releases of Record Store Day 2016. NPR included "Fuck the Police" in their Songs We Love segment. Mass Appeal released Rubble Kings: The Album on January 15, 2016.
J Dilla released The Diary through Mass Appeal on April 15, 2016. DJ Shadow released The Mountain Will Fall on June 24, 2016. Mass Appeal released The Land (Music from the Motion Picture) on July 29, 2016. Dave East released Kairi Chanel on September 30, 2016. Boldy James released The Art of Rock Climbing on January 27, 2017, and House of Blues on February 24, 2017. Fashawn released Manna on August 11, 2017. Dave East released Paranoia: A True Story on August 18, 2017. Ezri released be right back on October 5, 2017. Dave East released Paranoia 2 on January 16, 2018. Black Milk released Fever on February 23, 2018. In May 2017, Mass Appeal announced a joint venture publishing company with Pulse Music Group. In June 2018, a new partnership with Universal Music Group was announced with the companies entering into a multi-year global agreement.
On June 15, 2018, Nas released his twelfth studio album Nasir, through Mass Appeal Records and Def Jam Recordings. It succeeds Nas' album Life Is Good, released six years prior in 2012. The album was a part of the GOOD Music 7-song, 5-album rollout executive produced by Kanye West, featuring appearances from Kanye West, Puff Daddy, 070 Shake, Tony Williams, and The-Dream. Nasir debuted at number five on the US Billboard 200 with 77,000 album-equivalent units, of which 49,000 were pure album sales. It serves as Nas's twelfth top-ten album in the United States.
In August 2018, Cantrell released his debut EP Stardust 2 Angels. The project was accompanied by a Mass Appeal-produced documentary available via YouTube, entitled, "Stardust 2: Cantrell on Skating, New Album and Albany, GA | Mass Appeal".
Mass Appeal artist Stro released his debut project, Nice 2 Meet You, Again on October 19, 2018. The EP has one feature by Mannywellz. Cuz Lightyear released Blue Slime on November 30, 2018, featuring rappers Lil Baby, Killer Mike, and Yung Bans. Mass Appeal's resident punk band, The 1865, released Don't Tread On We! on January 25, 2019. The 1865 has four members: Mass Appeal's own director, Sacha Jenkins, alongside Carolyn "Honeychild" Coleman, Flora Lucini, Chuck Treece, and Jason "Biz" Lucas. The label then released a compilation album called the Starting 5: Vol. 1 on February 5, 2019, with features from Nas, Black Milk, and Liana Bank$. The project had an accompanying tour during rollout, The Starting 5 Tour, with artists Ezri, Stro, Fashawn, Cantrell, and 070 Phi.
- Run the Jewels
- Boldy James
- Dave East
- De La Soul
- Mannie Fresh
- DJ Shadow
- Black Milk
- Cuz Lightyear
- 070 Phi
- Pimp C (Deceased)
- Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2 - October 24, 2014
- Fashawn - The Ecology - February 24, 2015
- Boldy James - Trapper's Alley 2 - February 27, 2015
- The Alchemist and Oh No - Welcome to Los Santos - April 21, 2015
- Gangrene - You Disgust Me - August 7, 2015
- Run the Jewels - Meow the Jewels - September 25, 2015
- Dave East - Hate Me Now - October 1, 2015
- Pimp C - Long Live the Pimp - December 4, 2015
- Various Artists - Rubble Kings: The Album - January 15, 2016
- J Dilla - The Diary - April 15, 2016
- DJ Shadow - The Mountain Will Fall - June 24, 2016
- Various Artists - The Land (Music from the Motion Picture) - July 29, 2016
- Dave East - Kairi Chanel - September 30, 2016
- Boldy James - The Art of Rock Climbing - January 27, 2017
- Boldy James - House of Blues - February 24, 2017
- Fashawn - Manna - August 11, 2017
- Dave East - Paranoia: A True Story - August 18, 2017
- Ezri - be right back - October 5, 2017
- Dave East - Paranoia 2 - January 16, 2018
- Black Milk - Fever - February 23, 2018
- Nas - Nasir - June 15, 2018
- Cantrell - Stardust 2 Angels - August 24, 2018
- Stro - Nice 2 Meet You, Again - October 19, 2018
- Cuz Lightyear - Blue Slime - November 30, 2018
- The 1865 - Don't Tread On We! - January 25, 2019
- Mass Appeal - Starting 5: Vol. 1- February 5, 2019
- Cantrell - DEVIL NEVER EVEN LIVED - March 22, 2019
- atm - atm - April 26, 2019
- Nas - The Lost Tapes 2 - July 19, 2019
- "MASS APPEAL AND UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE GLOBAL DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT". universalmusic.com. June 13, 2018. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- Ugwu, Reggie. "Nas to Record On Mass Appeal Records; Will Release 'Lost Tapes 2' & Posthumous Pimp C Album". billboard.com. Billboard Magazine. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- New Marvel Comics Covers Paying Tribute to Run the Jewels Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- "Fashawn "The Ecology" Track Listing". massappeal.com. January 27, 2015. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- DJ Shadow Scores First No. 1 on Top Dance/Electronic Albums Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- Long Live the Pimp,' a Documentary on the Life and Legacy of Pimp C Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- Nas to Release J Dilla Album 'The Diary' from 2002 on Mass Appeal Records Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- Record Store Day 2016's Best and Weirdest Bets Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- Songs We Love: J Dilla, 'F*** The Police' Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- Staff, Variety (May 25, 2017). "Pulse Music Group, Mass Appeal Partner for Urban Culture-Themed Original Content". Variety. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- "Mass Appeal and Universal Music Group Announce Exclusive Global Distribution Agreement - UMG". UMG. June 13, 2018. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- Elibert, Mark (August 24, 2018). "Mass Appeal Signee Cantrell Talks 'Stardust 2 Angels' EP, Love For Jam Skating & Why He's Hip-Hop's Deion Sanders". Billboard. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- Mass Appeal (September 24, 2018), Stardust 2: Cantrell on Skating, New Album and Albany, GA | Mass Appeal, retrieved April 8, 2019
- "Stro Drops Off His New EP "Nice 2 Meet You, Again"". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- Clark, Trent (November 30, 2018). "Cuz Lightyear Drops "Blue Slime" Album Featuring Lil Baby, Yung Bans & Killer Mike" Check
|url=value (help). Hip Hop DX. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- "#DXCLUSIVE: 070 Phi Signs To Mass Appeal Records". HipHopDX. Retrieved January 1, 2019.
- "Jersey Rapper atm Signs To Mass Appeal Records & Announces Self-Titled EP". HipHopDX. Retrieved August 30, 2019.
- http://hiphopdx.com, HipHopDX- (February 4, 2019). "Mass Appeal Drops "Starting 5: Vol. 1" LP Featuring Nas, Black Milk, Fashawn, Stro & More". HipHopDX. Retrieved April 8, 2019.