Open main menu

Masivo Integrado de Occidente

The Masivo Integrado de Occidente (English: Western Mass Integrated), also referred to as MIO, is a bus rapid transit system that serves Santiago de Cali, Colombia. The system is operated through articulated buses which move in dedicated lanes. Approximately 97% of the city's spatial perimeter will be covered by this system, involving nearly 243 kilometers. The MIO will cover approximately 72% of Cali's public transportation needs.[1]

Masivo Integrado de Occidente
LogoMIOCali.png
BRT, santiago de Cali station.jpg
Map of Second Phase
Overview
LocaleSantiago de Cali,  Colombia
Transit typeBus rapid transit
Number of lines6
Number of stations77
WebsiteMIO
Metrocali
Operation
Began operation2009
Operator(s)Metro Cali S.A.
Technical
System length243km

The project was set in motion by an investment of US$405 million; with 70% contributed by the Colombian government and the remaining 30% by the municipality of Cali. These resources are destined to finance MIO's infrastructure: construction of trunks, fueling stations, rest stops, the system of stations, pedestrian bridges, terminals, and yards. The articulated buses have a capacity of 160 passengers and circulate exclusively on the trunks; in turn, the register type buses will transport between 80 and 100 people and they will travel through tramways and special diversions.[citation needed] The regular operation of the system is roughly from 5:00AM to 11:00PM.

Masivo Integrado de Occidente(MIO)


Routes and stationsEdit

MIO has the following routes:

Trunk Routes
Routes with an E are express and do not stop at all the stations
  • E21: Starts at Menga Terminal; stops at all the stations of the Avenida 3ra Norte until Torre de Cali Station, and then only stops at Plaza de Cayzedo (towards south), Centro (towards south), Petecuy (towards north), San Pedro (towards north), San Bosco, Estadio, Tequendama, Unidad Deportiva, Pampalinda, Caldas, Meléndez, Buitrera Stations, and ends at Universidades Station.
  • E27: Starts at Menga Terminal, enters the Álamos neighborhood before stopping at all the stations of the Avenida 3ra Norte until Las Américas Station, exits the exclusive bus lane and attends bus stops on the Avenida 2 Norte and Calle 5, then re-enters the exclusive bus lane and only stops at Manzana del Saber, Estadio, Lido, Unidad Deportiva, Pampalinda Stations, and ends at Capri Station.
  • E27B: Performs the same route as the E27 between Las Américas and Unidad Deportiva Stations, during rush hours.
  • E31: Starts at Paso del Comercio Terminal; stops at Chiminangos, Flora Industrial, Salomia, Popular, San Pascual (Towards north), Manzana del Saber, Unidad Deportiva, Pampalinda, Capri, Meléndez, Buitrera Stations and ends at Universidades Station.
  • E37: Starts at Paso del Comercio Terminal; stops at Chiminangos, Flora Industrial, Salomia, Manzanares, Torre de Cali, La Ermita (towards south), Centro (towards south), Petecuy (towards north), San Pedro (towards north), San Bosco, Santa Librada, Estadio, Tequendama Stations and ends at Unidad Deportiva Station.
  • E41: Starts at Andrés Sanín Terminal; stops at every station of the Carrera 15 until Belalcázar Station, and then only stops at Unidad Deportiva, Pampalinda, Refugio, Caldas, Capri, Buitrera Stations and ends at Universidades Station.
  • E52: Starts at Nuevo Latir Station; stops at Amanecer, Troncal Unida, Calipso Terminal, Conquistadores, Santa Mónica, Primitivo, Torre de Cali, Versalles Stations, and ends at the Central Bus Station. This route also operates only in rush hours.
The Routes with a T are trunks and stop at all the stations
  • T31: Starts at Paso del Comercio Terminal and ends at Universidades Station.
  • T40: Starts at Andrés Sanín Terminal and ends at Centro Station.
  • T42: Starts at Pízamos neighborhood and ends at the Central Bus Station.
  • T47B: Starts at Andrés Sanín Terminal and ends at Unidad Deportiva Station.
  • T50: Starts at Nuevo Latir Station and ends at Centro Station.
  • T57A: Starts at Nuevo Latir Station and ends at Unidad Deportiva Station.
The Trunk roads
  • Avenida Las Américas
  • Avenida 3rd North
  • Calle 5ta - Carrera 100
  • Carrera 15
  • Calle 15 (one way)
  • Calle 13 (one way)
  • Carrera 1ra
  • Carrera 28D
  • Carrera 17
Transferring terminals
  • Terminal Menga
  • Terminal Cañaveralejo
  • Terminal Andrés Sanín
  • Terminal Calipso
  • Terminal Paso del Comercio

FaresEdit

The standard fare is $2,000 colombian pesos, about US$0.71.[2]

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-07-08. Retrieved 2009-01-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) MIO description.
  2. ^ http://www.elpais.com.co/paisonline/calionline/notas/Enero122009/Cali2.html[permanent dead link] www.elpais.com.co

External linksEdit