Mary Elphinstone, Lady Elphinstone
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Lady Elphinstone
Portrait by Philip de László, 1929
Hon. Mary Frances Bowes-Lyon
30 August 1883
|Died||8 February 1961 (aged 77)|
Sidney Elphinstone, 16th Lord Elphinstone
(m. 1910; died 1955)
Lady Elphinstone was born Lady Mary Frances Bowes-Lyon on 30 August 1883 in Angus, Scotland, to Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne and Cecilia Cavendish-Bentinck. She was an elder sister of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (later The Queen Mother).
In 1937, she attended her sister and brother-in-law's coronation whereby she sat behind her niece, Princess Elizabeth, who would be the future queen, in the royal box.
She died on 8 February 1961, aged 77, in Inveresk, Scotland.
Marriage and issueEdit
- The Hon. Mary Elizabeth Elphinstone (1 July 1911 – 16 May 1980). She was a bridesmaid at the wedding of Prince Albert, Duke of York, and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon on 3 May 1923.
- John Elphinstone, 17th Lord Elphinstone (22 March 1914 – 15 November 1975)
- The Hon. Jean Constance Elphinstone (3 April 1915 – 29 November 1999), married Captain John Wills. Their daughter Marilyn is a god-daughter of Princess Margaret and was a bridesmaid at her 1960 wedding.
- The Rev. The Hon. Andrew Charles Victor Elphinstone (10 November 1918 – 19 March 1975), married Jean Hambro and had issue. His wife was a Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Elizabeth II 
- The Hon. Margaret Elphinstone (9 June 1925 – 25 November 2016), married Denys Rhodes and had issue. She was a bridesmaid at the wedding in 1947 of The Princess Elizabeth (now Queen Elizabeth II) and Prince Philip (now the Duke of Edinburgh).
- "The Queen Mother in pictures". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- Yvonne's Royalty Home Page: Royal Godchildren
- Yvonne's Royalty Home Page: Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation Attendants