Marwin Javier González (born March 14, 1989) is a Venezuelan professional baseball utility player with the Houston Astros of Major League Baseball (MLB). Primarily a shortstop, González has appeared at every position except for pitcher and catcher for the Astros. He won the 2017 World Series with the team over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
González with the Houston Astros in 2016
|Houston Astros – No. 9|
Born: March 14, 1989|
Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela
|April 6, 2012, for the Houston Astros|
|MLB statistics |
(through September 18, 2018)
|Runs batted in||290|
|Career highlights and awards|
González was signed as an international free agent by the Chicago Cubs on November 23, 2005. The Boston Red Sox selected González from the Cubs in the 2011 Rule 5 draft, and then traded him to the Astros for Marco Duarte.
Gonzalez made the Astros' Opening Day roster in 2012. On April 2, 2013, González broke up a perfect game bid by the Texas Rangers' Yu Darvish with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. González set a Major League record by hitting his first 25 career home runs with no one on base. That streak was broken when he hit a home run on May 6, 2016 with Evan Gattis on second base.
In Game 2 of the 2017 World Series, González hit a home run in the ninth off Los Angeles Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen to tie the score at 3–3 and the Astros went on to win in 11 innings, 7–6. The Dodgers had previously been 98–0 on the season when leading entering the ninth inning. The World Series would go on for 7 games, and the Astros won it for the first time in franchise history.
- "Rule 5 Draft about to get started". December 8, 2011. Archived from the original on July 9, 2012. Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- "Astros option Shuck as roster takes shape". Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- "Rangers vs. Astros - 04/02/13". Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- "Marwin Gonzalez has 25 straight solo home runs". Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- "Mariners vs. Astros - 05/06/16". Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- Justice, Richard (October 26, 2017). "Astros, Dodgers author a classic Fall Classic: Houston evens World Series at 1−1 in Game 2 thriller filled with wild moments". MLB.com. Retrieved October 28, 2017.
- McTaggart, Brian; Gurnick, Ken. "Houston Astros win 2017 World Series". MLB. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- Kaplan, Jake (October 14, 2017). "Marwin Gonzalez, wife welcome third child after Astros' Game 1 win". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved July 4, 2018.