Martin Masella (born 4 November 1969) is a Tongan former professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1990s and 2000s. He was a Tonga international and played at the 1995 Rugby League World Cup. Masella played for the Leeds Rhinos as a prop in their 1998 Super League Grand Final defeat by the Wigan Warriors. Masella captained Tonga in the 2000 Rugby League World Cup.
|Full name||Martin Masella|
|Born||4 November 1969|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||98 kg (15 st 6 lb)|
|Position||Prop, Second-row, Lock|
Masella was born to factory workers.
Masella played in Australia for Balmain Tigers, Illawarra Steelers and South Sydney before moving to England to play in the Super League for the Leeds Rhinos. He was later awarded Leeds Rhinos heritage player number 1291. After leaving the Rhinos, Masella played for Wakefield Trinity Wildcats and Warrington Wolves.
In September 2000, at the height of a financial crisis at the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, the contracts of all players aged over 24 were terminated. The players affected were; Andy Fisher, Bobbie Goulding, Warren Jowitt, Tony Kemp (player-coach), Steve McNamara, Francis Maloney, Martin Masella, Steve Prescott, Bright Sodje, Francis Stephenson and Glen Tomlinson. Masella was one of a group of players who were awarded compensation from an industrial tribunal as a result of the dismissal.
- "Martin Masella". Companies House. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "The Teams: Tonga". BBC. 1 January 2000. Archived from the original on 10 November 2000. Retrieved 26 March 2008.
- Jackson, Glenn. "A league of their own: islanders provide NRL family with ample opportunity to cross the cultural divide". The Sydney Morning Herald. The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Kent, Paul. "NRL dismissal rule must keep pace with the evolution of the game". The Daily Telegraph. The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "Leeds' double signing". The Independent. The Independent. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Daly, Phil. "Ever popular prop Masella catches up with Gary in Australia". Leeds Rhinos. Leeds Rhinos. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Whalley, John. "Wakefield are saved after creditors reach agreement". The Daily Telegraph. The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "Goodway calls for aid package". BBC. 24 April 2001. Retrieved 1 January 2010.
- "Ex-Rhino Masella takes on the Cumbrians at 36". News and Star with the Cumberland News. News and Star with the Cumberland News. Retrieved 7 April 2019.