Martin Fröst (born 14 December 1970) is a Swedish clarinetist and conductor. He has recorded commercially for such labels as BIS Records and Sony Classical. In May 2014, he received the Léonie Sonning Music Prize, the first clarinetist so honoured.
At Hindsgavl Festival, Denmark 2017
|Born||14 December 1970|
Early life and educationEdit
As a youth, Fröst began musical studies on violin at age 5. At age 8, he started to learn the clarinet. He studied with Hans Deinzer in Germany and Sölve Kingstedt and Kjell-Inge Stevensson in Stockholm.
Fröst's work in contemporary music includes collaborations with Anders Hillborg, Krzysztof Penderecki, Kalevi Aho, Rolf Martinsson, Bent Sørensen, Victoria Borisova-Ollas, Karin Rehnqvist and Sven-David Sandström.
Fröst was artistic leader of the Vinterfest music festival for 10 seasons, concluding his tenure in 2015. He became joint artistic director of the Stavanger International Chamber Music Festival in 2010, and served in that until 2015. He has been a conductor-in-association with the Norrköping Symphony Orchestra. In May 2017, the Swedish Chamber Orchestra announced the appointment of Fröst as its next principal conductor, effective with the 2019–2020 season, with an initial contract of 3 seasons.
In the USA, in October 2014, Fröst first appeared with the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra (SPCO). Based on this concert, in November 2014, the SPCO named Fröst one of its Artistic Partners, effective with the 2015–2016 season, with an initial contract of 4 years. He was to have made his first appearance in the post in November 2015, but was unable to perform due to Meniere's Disease. The effects of the ailment delayed Fröst's appearances as an SPCO artistic partner until February 2017.
Fröst and his family live in Stockholm.
- Penderecki (CD-652, 1994)
- French Beauties and Swedish Beasts (CD-693, 1994)
- Close Up (CD-744, 1997)
- 'Hekas! – Östgöta Symphonic Wind Ensemble (CD-818, 1997)
- Clarinet Concertos dedicated to Benny Goodman (CD-893, 1998)
- The Pied Piper of the Opera – Opera paraphrases on the clarinet (CD-1053, 2000)
- James MacMillan – The Confession of Isobel Gowdie (CD-1169, 2002)
- Mozart – Clarinet Concerto & Quintet (SACD 1283, 2003)
- Schumann – Works for Clarinet & Piano (CD-944, 2003)
- Holmboe – Concertos for Piano, Clarinet and Oboe; Beatus Parvo (CD-1176, 2004)
- Brahms – Clarinet Sonatas & Trio (SACD-1353, 2005)
- Karin Rehnqvist – Arktis Arktis! (CD-1396, 2005)
- Weber – Clarinet Concertos (SACD-1523, 2006)
- Nielsen & Aho Clarinet Concertos (SACD-1463, 2007)
- Christopher Rouse – Orchestral Music (CD-1386, 2008)
- Crusell – The Three Clarinet Concertos (SACD-1723, 2008)
- Fröst & Friends (SACD-1823, 2010)
- Martin Fröst – Dances to a Black Pipe (SACD-1863, 2011)
- Martin Fröst – Plays Mozart (SACD-1893, 2013)
- Martin Fröst – Roots (Sony. 2015)
- "BIS". Bis.se.
- George Loomis (2014-08-31). "A Clarinet Virtuoso on a Quest for New Experiences". New York Times. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Rebecca Schmid (2015-02-10). "Vinterfest, Dalarna, Sweden — review". Financial Times. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Solveig Grødem Sandelson (2015-08-18). "Jan Bjøranger overtar etter Martin Fröst". Aftenbladet. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "Martin Fröst blir ny Chefsdirigent för Svenska Kammarorkestern" (Press release). Swedish Chamber Orchestra. 15 May 2017. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "Martin Fröst named as SPCO Artistic Partner" (Press release). Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra. 11 November 2014. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Graydon Royce (2015-11-03). "Swedish clarinetist Martin Fröst cancels planned debut with St. Paul Chamber Orchestra". Minneapolis Star-Tribune. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Rob Hubbard (2017-02-11). "Martin Frost and his clarinet make a warm return to the SPCO". Twin Cities Pioneer Press. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Andrew Clements (2014-08-21). "Brahms: Clarinet Quintet; Clarinet Trio; etc review - high-class playing from Martin Fröst and ensemble". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Erica Jeal (2016-02-04). "Martin Fröst: Roots CD review - persuasive performances". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Martin Fröst's official website
- Harrison Parrott agency biography of Martin Fröst
- Svensk Konsertdirektion AB agency biography of Martin Fröst
- Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra biography of Martin Fröst
- 'Facing the music: Martin Fröst'. The Guardian, 2 February 2015
- Jim Farber, 'Martin Fröst: The Color of Clarinet'. San Francisco Classical Voice blog, 6 June 2012