Martin E. Sullivan
Martin E. Sullivan (February 9, 1944 – February 25, 2014) was a museum director, and served as Director of the United States National Portrait Gallery, administered by the Smithsonian Institution, from 2008-12.
Martin E. Sullivan
Martin Edward Sullivan
February 9, 1944
Troy, New York, U.S.
|Died||February 25, 2014 (aged 70)|
Piney Point, Maryland, U.S.
Born in Troy, New York, Sullivan expanded the range of portraits commissioned by the gallery to include "notable Americans such as Eunice Kennedy Shriver and Alice Waters" in addition to portraits of Presidents and First Ladies. Upon retirement in 2012, Sullivan became a Senior Scholar at the Smithsonian.
Sullivan's other museum positions included Director of the Heard Museum, a Native American museum of art and culture in Phoenix, Arizona from 1990–99, and Director of the New York State Museum from 1983-90. Sullivan also served as Assistant Commissioner for Museums in New York's State Education Department.
Sullivan was a faculty member and history professor at St. Mary's College of Maryland.
- Trescott, Jacqueline (2006-01-31). "Sullivan to Head Portrait Gallery". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- "National Portrait Gallery Director Martin E. Sullivan Announces Departure". Newsdesk, Newsroom of the Smithsonian. 2008-05-01. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF).
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-03-06. Retrieved 2014-02-27.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery Director announces departure". Artdaily.org. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- "Martin E. Sullivan Named Director of the Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery". Newsdesk, Newsroom of the Smithsonian. January 30, 2008. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- Zongker, Brett (February 26, 2014). "Longtime museum director Martin Sullivan dies". The Miami Herald. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- Capps, Kriston (February 26, 2014). "Martin Sullivan, Former National Portrait Gallery Director, Dies at 70". Washington City Paper. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
|This Smithsonian Institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|