Marshall Lauren Miles
December 16, 1926
|Died||February 5, 2013 (aged 86)|
|Known for||Contract bridge|
Miles learned to play bridge largely from columns in the back issues of daily newspapers at a local public library.
Miles' crowning achievement was winning the World Senior Teams Olympiad in Istanbul in 2004. He won various other tournaments and titles throughout his bridge career, including the Fishbein Trophy and the Life Master Pairs in 1961, as well as the Spingold in that same year and the next. He won the Reisinger in 1962 and 1965 and placed second in the Men's Pairs twice as well as in the Vanderbilt and Fall National Open Pairs. Miles was an American Contract Bridge League (ACBL) Grand Life Master with more than 17,500 masterpoints and was elected into its Hall of Fame in 2005.
Miles wrote "many articles for The Bridge World, American Bridge Digest, Bridge Today, ACBL Bridge Bulletin and [was] a contributing editor [to] The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge." He wrote several books including the classic All 52 Cards. (1963)
Born in Loma Linda, California, Miles graduated from Claremont College and the University of California, Los Angeles. Miles earned a law degree in 1954 and practiced in Southern California from 1955 until his retirement in 1997. Miles was a teacher on The Bridge Forum, an online bridge site on which students from all over the world can learn from experts.
- Senior International Cup (1) 2004
- North American Bridge Championships (5)
- How to Win at Duplicate Bridge (Collier Books, 1957)
- All 52 Cards: how to reconstruct the concealed hands at the bridge table (Exposition Press, 1963); UK title, Card reading at Contract [same subtitle] (Nicholas Kaye, 1964) OCLC 30242705
- Marshall Miles Teaches Logical Bridge: a novel approach to championship principles of bidding and playing your hand (Exposition Press, 1967)
- Bridge from the Top, Vol. I (Roswell, GA: Pando Publications, 1987)
- Bridge from the Top, Vol. II (Pando Pub, 1989)
- Stronger Competitive Bidding (Oakland, CA: Lawrence & Leong Pub, 1992)
- Reisinger Challenge (Los Alamitos, CA: C&T Bridge Supplies, 1997) OCLC 63171913
- Competitive Bidding in the 21st Century (Master Point Press, 2000)
- Inferences at Bridge (Master Point, 2002)
- Modern Constructive Bidding (Master Point, 2005)
- My System: The Unbalanced Diamond (Master Point, 2007)
- It's Your Call (Master Point, 2009)
- State of California (CA Birth Index). At Family Tree Legends. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Age No Barrier to New Champion". Daily Bulletin of the 12th World Bridge Olympiad, issue #10. Reprint at BridgeToday.com. Retrieved 2014-12-04.
- Francis, Henry G.; Truscott, Alan F.; Francis, eds. (2001). The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge (6th ed.). Memphis, TN: American Contract Bridge League. ISBN 0-943855-44-6. OCLC 49606900.
- ACBL Grand Life Masters.
- "Induction by Year". Hall of Fame. ACBL. Retrieved 2014-11-22.
- "When the Defense Is Hopeless, Sowing Confusion May Be Best". Philip Alder. The New York Times. July 21, 2005. Retrieved 2014-12-04.
- "Miles, Marshall". Hall of Fame. ACBL. Retrieved 2014-11-22.
- Francis, Henry G.; Truscott, Alan F.; Francis, Dorthy A., eds. (1994). The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge (5th ed.). Memphis, TN: American Contract Bridge League. p. 693. ISBN 0-943855-48-9. LCCN 96188639.
- State Bar of CA :: Marshall L Miles.
- Bridge Forum International.[full citation needed]
- "News Archive: Marshall Miles 1926–2013". ACBL. Archived from the original on 21 May 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "PASSINGS: Marshall Miles". Los Angeles Times. February 18, 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-18.