Mark van Loosdrecht
Mark van Loosdrecht (born 1959) is a Professor in Environmental Biotechnology at Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands. He was the creator of Nereda, a wastewater treatment technology developed by a cooperation between the Delft University of Technology, the Dutch Foundation for Applied Water Research (STOWA) and Royal HaskoningDHV.
Van Loosdrecht was born in Loon op Zand. Since 2004 he is a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Van Loosdrecht is chief editor of the scientific journal Water Research.
In March 2018 Mark van Loosdrecht won the Stockholm Water Prize for revolutionizing wastewater treatment. A second laureate in that year was Professor Bruce Rittmann. Their research has demonstrated the possibilities to remove harmful contaminants from water, cut wastewater treatment costs, reduce energy consumption, and even recover chemicals and nutrients for recycling.
Mark van Loosdrecht won the 2014 Spinoza Prize for his research and development on the field of the behaviour of biomass in dynamic conditions. In 2014 he was one of four winners of the Dutch Spinoza Prize and received a 2,5 million euro grant.
- "Prizes, Stocholm Water Prize, Laureates 2018". SIWI (Stockholm International Water Institute). Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "Prof. M.C.M. (Mark) van Loosdrecht". Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research. 4 March 2015. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "Mark van Loosdrecht – Professor at Delft University of Technology". The Source Magazine. 13 October 2015. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "Achieving cost-effective and sustainable wastewater treatment using Nereda". The South African Institution Of Civil Engineering. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "Spreker: Prof.dr.ir. M.C.M. (Mark) van Loosdrecht" (PDF) (in Dutch). Rotterdams Natuurkundig Genootschap. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- "Mark van Loosdrecht" (in Dutch). Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "Mark van Loosdrecht". Elsevier. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "NWO Spinoza Prize 2014". Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research. 11 September 2014. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "European Inventor Award nomination for Mark van Loosdrecht". Elsevier. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2015.