Mark Patrick Wegner (born March 4, 1972) is a Major League Baseball umpire. He worked in the National League from 1998 to 1999, and throughout both major leagues since 2000. He was promoted to Crew Chief for the 2018 MLB season when Dale Scott retired after the 2017 MLB season.
Wegner in 2012
|Born: March 4, 1972|
Saint Paul, Minnesota
|May 20, 1998|
|Career highlights and awards|
Wegner has umpired in seven Division Series (2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013), five League Championship Series (2007, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018), and two World Baseball Classics (2009, 2013). He also officiated in the 2008 All-Star Game, the 2014 and 2018 National League Wild Card Games, and the 2013 World Series and recently the 2017 World Series. Wegner wears uniform number 14, and previously wore uniform number 47.
On June 2, 2007, Wegner was involved in a heated argument with Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella. After Wegner ruled that Ángel Pagán was out at third on an attempted steal, Piniella, who later acknowledged the call was correct, stormed out of the dugout, threw his hat down, and started kicking dirt on Wegner. Piniella would be ejected and given a four-game suspension and he later apologized to Wegner.
On June 28, 2007, Wegner was behind the plate when Toronto Blue Jay Frank Thomas hit his 500th career home run off Minnesota Twins pitcher Carlos Silva. Later in the game, Thomas was ejected by Wegner for arguing balls and strikes. Toronto manager John Gibbons was thrown out of the game as well.
On May 30, 2012, Wegner was the target of Chicago White Sox announcer Ken Harrelson for ejecting pitcher Jose Quintana. Harrelson claimed Wegner "knew nothing about the game of baseball". Those comments drew much ire from the MLB and Harrelson apologized for those comments.
Wegner worked his first career no-hitter on July 13, 2013, calling balls and strikes for Tim Lincecum's 148-pitch performance against the San Diego Padres. Replays indicate Wegner called Lincecum to the tune of 97.9% accuracy, missing just two pitches.
On November 1, 2017 Wegner was behind home plate for Game 7 of the World Series, which was won by the Houston Astros by a score of 5-1 over the host Los Angeles Dodgers. Prior to the start of the 2018 season, Wegner was promoted to crew chief.
- "Piniella suspended four games by Major League Baseball". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Momentum of Thomas' 500th homer erased as Twins rally. ESPN.com. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- San Francisco Giants at Washington Nationals Box Score, June 4, 2009 Baseball Reference.com Retrieved 11 August 2017
- "Freak No-Hitter: Lincecum Dices Padres for 2013 No-No 2." Close Call Sports and the Umpire Ejection Fantasy League. July 14, 2013.
- Wiering, Maria. "A hero behind home plate: MLB umpire feeds hungry at Our Daily Bread," The Catholic Review (Archdiocese of Baltimore), September 7, 2012.
- "UMPS CARE Charities Featured on MASN Broadcast". closecallsports.com. September 12, 2017. Retrieved August 14, 2018.