|Elizabethan Architecture, Life in the English Country House, The Victorian Country House|
Girouard worked for the magazine Country Life from about 1958, firstly as its architectural writer, and then from 1964 as its architectural editor, until 1967. He was Slade Professor of Fine Art from 1975 to 1976 and elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London in 1987. Girouard was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature in 2011. He was on the board of trustees of The Architecture Foundation from 1992 to 1999 and a founder, and the first chairman, of the Spitalfields Historic Buildings Trust.
- Montacute House, Somerset (1964)
- Robert Smythson and the Architecture of the Elizabethan Era (1966)
- Victorian Pubs (1975)
- Hardwick Hall (1976)
- Sweetness and Light: The "Queen Anne" Movement, 1860-1900 (1977)
- Life in the English Country House: A Social and Architectural History (1978)
- Historic Houses of Britain (1979)
- The Victorian Country House (1979)
- Alfred Waterhouse and the Natural History Museum (1981)
- The Return to Camelot: Chivalry and the English Gentleman (1981)
- Robert Smythson and the Elizabethan Country House (1983)
- Cities and People: A Social and Architectural History (1985)
- A Country House Companion (1987) editor
- The English Town: A History of Urban Life (1990)
- Town and Country (1992)
- Windsor: The Most Romantic Castle (1993)
- Big Jim: The Life and Work of James Stirling (1998) Chatto & Windus, ISBN 978-0-7011-6247-4.
- A Hundred Years at Waddesdon (1998), ISBN 978-0-9527809-2-2.
- Life in the French Country House (2000)
- Rushton Triangular Lodge (2004)
- Elizabethan Architecture: Its Rise and Fall, 1540–1640 (2009), ISBN 978-0-300-09386-5.
- Enthusiasms (2011) Frances Lincoln, ISBN 978-071123329-4
- Friendships (2017)
- "Mark GIROUARD - Personal Appointments (free information from Companies House)". Beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
- "List of Fellows". Society of Antiquaries. Retrieved 11 November 2018.
- "Royal Society of Literature » Mark Girouard". rsliterature.org.
- "Mark Girouard, Architectural Historian - Spitalfields Life". spitalfieldslife.com.
- "Welcome | Yale University Press". Yalepress.yale.edu. 2016-12-19. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
- National Life Stories, 'Girouard, Mark (1 of 5) National Life Stories Collection: Architects' Lives', The British Library Board, 2009. Retrieved 10 April 2018
- The Independent, 8 February 1993, Marina Cantacuzino "Does only have to mean lonely?: How does growing up without siblings affect a child? Marina Cantacuzino looks at the question from the point of view of offspring and parents"