Mark Chapman (cricketer)
Mark Sinclair Chapman (born 27 June 1994) is a Hong Kong-born international cricketer who has played limited over internationals for Hong Kong and New Zealand. Currently playing for New Zealand, Chapman is a left-handed batsman who bowls slow left-arm orthodox. He made his One Day International debut for Hong Kong against the United Arab Emirates in the 2015–17 ICC World Cricket League Championship on 16 November 2015. He is eligible to represent New Zealand through his father. In February 2018, he made T20I and ODI debuts for New Zealand against England.
|Full name||Mark Sinclair Chapman|
|Born||27 June 1994|
|Bowling||Slow left-arm orthodox|
|ODI debut (cap 32/194)||16 November 2015 |
Hong Kong v UAE
|Last ODI||10 March 2018 |
New Zealand v England
|ODI shirt no.||8 (for Hong Kong),|
80 (for New Zealand)
|T20I debut (cap 4/77)||16 March 2014 |
Hong Kong v Nepal
|Last T20I||4 November 2018 |
New Zealand v Pakistan
|Domestic team information|
|2015–present||Auckland (squad no. 88)|
|2018–present||St Lucia Stars (squad no. 80)|
Source: CricketArchive, 4 November 2018
Early and domestic careerEdit
Chapman was born in Hong Kong to a Chinese mother and a father from New Zealand. He attended Island School in Hong Kong, before enrolling at King's College, Auckland at the age of 14, and went on to study Engineering at the University of Auckland. Having played for the Hong Kong under-19 team at the 2010 Under-19 World Cup, aged 15, Chapman made his World Cricket League debut for Hong Kong at the 2011 Division Three tournament, where he helped Hong Kong earn promotion to 2011 World Cricket League Division Two.
It was in the latter tournament that he made his List A debut against Uganda. He played five further List A matches in the competition, the last of which was Papua New Guinea. In his six matches in the competition, he scored 192 runs at a batting average of 38.40, with two half centuries and a high score of 81. His highest score came against the United Arab Emirates.
In November 2015, Chapman was selected as vice-captain in Hong Kong's squad for its two World Cricket League fixtures against the UAE, both of which held ODI status. On his ODI debut in the first match, he scored 124 not out from 116 balls, becoming the first Hong Kong player to score an ODI century. Chapman also became first player from associate nations to score a century on their ODI debut, and second to do so at a strike rate of greater than 100.00 after Desmond Haynes.
In February 2018, he was added to New Zealand's T20I squad, for their Trans-Tasman tri-series against Australia and England. He made his T20I debut for New Zealand against England on 13 February 2018 and became the sixth cricketer to play T20Is for two international teams. Chapman was named to New Zealand ODI squad as a cover for injured Kane Williamson. On 28 February 2018 against England, Chapman made his ODI debut for New Zealand. With that, he became the tenth cricketer to play ODIs for two international teams.
- "ICC World Cricket League Championship, 13th Match: United Arab Emirates v Hong Kong at Dubai (CA), Nov 16, 2015". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "Chapman, Seifert set for New Zealand debuts". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 7 February 2018.
- Wigmore, Tim (2 December 2015). "Mark Chapman: New Zealand star?". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "Youth One-Day International Matches played by Mark Chapman". CricketArchive. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
- "List A Matches played by Mark Champman". CricketArchive. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
- "List A Batting and Fielding For Each Team by Mark Chapman". CricketArchive. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
- "United Arab Emirates v Hong Kong, 2011 ICC World Cricket League Division Two". CricketArchive. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
- "Plunket Shield, Auckland v Northern Districts at Auckland, Dec 17-20, 2015". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- Hyslop, Liam (1 January 2018). "Mark Chapman's maiden T20 hundred leads Auckland to win over Canterbury". Stuff. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "The Ford Trophy, 2017/18:Most Runs". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- "Central Districts drop Jesse Ryder from contracts list". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- "Chapman marks debut with match-winning ton". ESPNcricinfo. ESPN Sports Media. 16 November 2015. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "Records / Hong Kong / One-Day Internationals / High scores". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "Records / One-Day Internationals / Batting records / Hundred on debut". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "4th Match (N), Twenty20 Tri Series at Wellington, Feb 13 2018". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "Williamson doubt as NZ seek to equal best run". ESPN Cricinfo. 27 February 2018. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Stokes stars in England's domineering win". ESPN Cricinfo. 27 February 2018. Retrieved 27 February 2018.