Canha with the Oakland Athletics in 2019
|Oakland Athletics – No. 20|
|First baseman / Outfielder|
|Born: February 15, 1989|
San Jose, California
|April 8, 2015, for the Oakland Athletics|
|MLB statistics |
(through September 18, 2019)
|Runs batted in||198|
Canha attended Bellarmine College Preparatory in San Jose, California. In 2007, his senior year, he batted .440 with 11 home runs. After graduating from high school, he attended the University of California, Berkeley, where he played college baseball for the California Golden Bears baseball team. In 2010, his junior season, he hit .319 with ten home runs and 69 RBIs in 54 games. After the season, the Florida Marlins selected him in the seventh round of the 2010 MLB draft. In 2014, Canha played for the New Orleans Zephyrs of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League (PCL).
The Colorado Rockies chose him in the 2014 Rule 5 draft from the Marlins, and then traded him to the Athletics for Austin House. During spring training in 2015, Canha led the Athletics in home runs, but led all major league players in strikeouts. Due to the team's need for a power hitter following the offseason trades of Josh Donaldson and Brandon Moss, Canha made the Athletics' Opening Day roster. In his major league debut, on April 8, Canha had three hits and four runs batted in (RBIs). Canha remained with the Athletics throughout the 2015 season, and led all American League rookies in RBIs. He finished the season with 16 home runs and 70 runs batted in, while playing multiple positions for the A's.
Canha underwent season-ending hip surgery after only 16 games with Oakland in 2016. Returning in 2017, he played 6 games with the A's before being optioned to the Nashville Sounds of the PCL on April 15. On November 8, 2017, Canha underwent right wrist surgery to remove a cyst.
Canha is known for his bat flips after hitting home runs. 
- "Three former Bells are selected in MLB draft". ContraCostaTimes.com. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- "Former Cal player Mark Canha is busting out with the New Orleans Zephyrs". ContraCostaTimes.com. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- "Marlins add reliever, lose slugger Canha in Rule 5 draft". Miami Marlins. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- "A's trade for Rule 5 pick Mark Canha, who may find niche". CSN Bay Area. Archived from the original on January 10, 2015. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- "A's hoping for power from rookie Canha". SFGate. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "Athletics first baseman Mark Canha earns roster spot". CBSSports.com. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "A's Mark Canha enjoys a smashing major-league debut". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved October 4, 2015.
- "Year of change for A's rookies Burns and Canha". InsideBayArea.com. Retrieved October 4, 2015.
- "Oakland A's call up Jaff Decker, option Mark Canha". SBNation.com. April 15, 2017. Retrieved April 15, 2017.
- "Mark Canha has wrist surgery". MLB. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- Slusser, Susan (December 11, 2014). "A's trade for Rule 5 player Mark Canha, a Cal alum". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved October 3, 2015.