Mark Blake (Australian rules footballer)
Mark Blake (born 9 September 1985) is a former Australian rules footballer for the Geelong Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). A tap ruckman, 2.00 metres (6 ft 7 in) tall and weighing 102 kilograms (225 lb), Blake played 99 games for Geelong between 2005 and 2010, including the 2009 AFL Premiership.
|Full name||Mark Blake|
|Date of birth||9 September 1985|
|Place of birth||Geelong|
|Original team(s)||South Barwon / Geelong U18|
|Height||200 cm (6 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||102 kg (225 lb)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2011.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Blake was drafted in the 2003 AFL Draft under the father-son rule, he debuted in 2005 in a losing game in front of a crowd of 28,165 at the SCG. Blake kicked his first two career goals against Richmond at Skilled Stadium in round 18, 2007.
2008 was a successful year for Blake, seeing him permanently become a part of Geelong's ruck duo along with Brad Ottens. Blake developed as a footballer substantially in 2008 and has improved his around the ground work.
2011 was a terrible year for Blake, getting no AFL appearances and was said to be trade bait. On 19 October 2011 Blake announced his retirement, effective immediately.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
Honours and achievementsEdit
|Brownlow Medal votes|
- AFL Premiership (Geelong): 2009
- AFL McClelland Trophy (Geelong): 2007, 2008
- AFL NAB Cup (Geelong): 2006, 2009
- Vic Country representative honours at the AFL Under 18 Championships: 2003
- "Mark Blake Player Profile". geelongcats.com.au. Archived from the original on 8 October 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- Gullan, Scott (10 March 2011). "Rule change to the bench claims Geelong ruckman Mark Blake". Herald Sun. Archived from the original on 23 October 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- "Chris Scott gives Mark Blake OK to look at options". Herald Sun. 7 July 2011. Archived from the original on 23 October 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- "Mark Blake". AFL Tables.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mark Blake (Australian rules footballer).|