Mark Angel (comedian)
Mark Angel (born 27 May 1991) is a Nigerian comedian, scriptwriter, and video producer. He is best known for the Mark Angel Comedy series of shorts on YouTube, often featuring child comedians such as his cousin, Emmanuella Samuel (age 11), his niece, and her cousin "Aunty" Success Madubuike (age 7 as of 2021). Angel's YouTube channel was the first African comedy channel to reach one million subscribers.
|Occupation||Comedian, script writer, video producer, YouTuber|
|Total views||7.6 billion|
Updated: 5 February 2021
Mark Angel was born in 1991 in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria. He attended Obafemi Awolowo University to study medicine, but left for family reasons. After college, he spent time in Nigeria gaining experience in cinematography and theater, but could not find stable paying work in Nollywood. He began independent filmmaking in 2013 under the name Mechanic Pictures. He is a supporter of Chelsea FC.
Mark Angel ComedyEdit
Angel is best known for Mark Angel Comedy, a series of YouTube comedy shorts that feature a number of people from Angel's family and neighborhood in Port Harcourt. Many of the shorts involve clever children, primarily Emmanuella Samuel and Success.
Angel's first well known short is "Oga Landlord," wherein a man late on rent (Angel) is trying to hide from his landlord (Daddy Humble), and tries in vain to have a child (Emmanuella) cover for him (e.g. "My uncle is not around. He just told me.").
Samuel is Angel's longest-appearing actress. She has won comedy awards in Nigeria and Australia for her work with Angel, and is Africa's youngest YouTube award winner. She started film work in school as part of a class video project, prior to being chosen by Angel for his stable of actors. Samuel's videos can reach up to a million views during the first week after posting.
Mark Angel Comedy received a plaque from YouTube for having reached one million subscriptions in 2017. It was the first Nigerian-based YouTube channel to reach that threshold.
In 2018 it was announced that Samuel would be attached to an upcoming Disney feature film. On 2 April 2020, during the COVID-19 lockdowns, Emmanuella, Success, and Regina Daniels were featured in a skit by Ofego titled "Lockdown" on his YouTube channel, using archive footage.
Mark Angel works mostly with multiple camera formats and close camera angles. Filming sometimes includes shaky camera techniques to give them a natural and down to earth feel, something Angel calls "freestyle comedy."
Angel primarily films within his family's lower-class neighbourhood in Port Harcourt, as a means to portray the environment he grew up in and relate to other common people in Nigeria.
- "About MarkAngelComedy". YouTube.
- Chidimma, Eze (5 June 2017). "10+ Unbelievable Facts About Mark Angel Comedy". BuzzNigeria. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "I once cried on set – Mark Angel". Punch Newspapers. 14 February 2016. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- "Emmanuella's Channel Is The First African Comedy Channel To Hit 1 Million Subscribers On YouTube". SilverbirdTV. 2 June 2017. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- Nenge, Katrine (1 October 2018). "Mark Angel's biography: interesting facts you should know". Legit.ng. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- Chidimma, Eze (5 June 2017). "10+ Unbelievable Facts About Mark Angel Comedy". BuzzNigeria. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- Kavhu, Sharon (25 January 2019). "High-profile young talents set for Teen Inspirational Summit in Namibia". The Southern Times. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- "Landlord Charged". Mark Angel Comedy – via YouTube.
- Ibenegbu, George (22 December 2017). "Comedian kid Emmanuella biography". Legit.ng. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Meet Nigerian 6-year-old comedienne". CNN. 9 December 2016. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- Akande, Segun (30 January 2018). "Why Nigerians think this comedy duo is very funny". Pulse.ng. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- Okunola, Folarin (28 July 2017). "MarkAngel Comedy, Emmanuella gets YouTube plaque for hitting 1 Million subscribers". Pulse.ng. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- Mumbere, Daniel (20 February 2018). "Nigeria's child comedian Emmanuella to feature in a Disney project". Africa News. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "LOCKDOWN | Emmanuella | Aunty Success | Regina Daniels | Ofego Comedy | Episode 7".