Marius Vassiliou (born 1957) is an American computational scientist, geophysicist, and aerospace executive. He is also an authority on the history of petroleum. Vassiliou is of Greek Cypriot descent and was educated at Harvard University and the California Institute of Technology (PhD).
|Alma mater||Harvard University |
California Institute of Technology (PhD)
University of Southern California (Masters Comp Sci)
Command and Control
History of petroleum
Fast Multipole Method
United States Army Research Laboratory Federated Laboratory
Earthquake energy and Depth Distribution
|Fields||Computational Physics, Geophysics, Computational Science|
|Institutions||Rockwell International Corporation|
In geophysics, he is best known for his explanations of the depth distribution of earthquakes, and for his direct (non-Magnitude-based) calculations of earthquake energy release. Vassiliou has also been cited for his experimental work on solids at high pressures and temperatures. In 2009 he published the Historical Dictionary of the Petroleum Industry, which went into a Second Edition in 2018. In the broader field of computational physics, Vassiliou is known for the introduction of Rokhlin's fast multipole method to computational electromagnetics. 
As an executive at the Rockwell International Corporation he was also well known as the leader of the U. S. Army Research Laboratory's Advanced Displays Federated Laboratory Consortium in the late 1990s and early 2000s, making advances in the interaction of humans with displays. The work in augmented reality included early development of the types of technologies that would later be applied to such platforms as google glass.
In later years, as an analyst advising the U.S. Government, he wrote influential papers on Command, Control, and Communications, including some with David Alberts, and published the book C2 Re-envisioned: the Future of the Enterprise,  which has also been translated into Chinese.
- Stein, Seth, and Michael Wysession (2009). An Introduction to Seismology, Earthquakes, and Earth Structures. New York: Wiley. pp. 313, 317, 484. ISBN 0865420785, ISBN 978-0865420786
- Bercovici, David (2007) (Ed). Treatise on Geophysics Vol. 7: Mantle Dynamics. (Treatise Editor-in-Chief Gerald Schubert). Amsterdam: Elsevier. pp 326,331,351,369,370. ISBN 0444534563, ISBN 978-0444534569
- Lee, William, Paul Jennings, Carl Kisslinger, and Hiroo Kanamori (2002). International Handbook of Earthquake and Engineering Seismology Part A. New York: Academic Press. pp 74,78. ISBN 0-12-440652-1, ISBN 978-0-12-440652-0
- Howell, B.F. (2005). Introduction to Seismological Research: History and Development. New York: Cambridge University Press. pp 113-115,117. ISBN 0521675510 ISBN 978-0521675512
- Koyama, Junji (1996). The Complex Faulting Process of Earthquakes. New York: Springer. pp. 111,187. ISBN 0792344995; ISBN 978-0792344995
- Ahrens, T.J. (1995) (Ed). Handbook of Physical Constants, Vol. 2: Mineral Physics and Crystallography. Washington, D. C.: American Geophysical Union. p. 183. ISBN 0-87590-852-7
- Marius S. Vassiliou (2018), Historical Dictionary of the Petroleum Industry, 2nd Edition. Rowman and Littlefield), 621pp. ISBN 1538111594, ISBN 978-1-5381-1159-8
- Kraut, Edgar A. (2007). Fundamentals of Mathematical Physics. New York: Dover Publications. See p.460.
- Seminario, J.M. (1996). Recent Developments and Applications of Modern Density Functional Theory. Amsterdam: Elsevier. p. 463.
- Ram-Mohan, Ramdas (2002). Finite Element and Boundary Element Applications in Quantum Mechanics. New York: Oxford University Press, 624pp. pp. 469,594. ISBN 0198525222, ISBN 978-0198525226.
- Pfalzner, Susanne, and Paul Gibbon (2008). Many-Body Tree Methods in Physics. New York: Cambridge University Press, 184pp. pp 147,159,162. ISBN 0521019168, ISBN 978-0521019163
- Rose, Paul (2002). Advanced Displays and Interactive Displays Federated Laboratory Report Compendium III: Final Report. Adelphi, MD: United States Army Research Laboratory, Report ARL-SR-115. pp 16,66,101,109,110.
- Vassiliou, M.S. (2007), "The Virtual Research Laboratory," Proc. 2007 IEEE Aerospace Conference.
- Avery, Benjamin, Ross T. Smith, Wayne Piekarski, and Bruce H. Thomas (2010). Engineering Mixed Reality Systems. New York: Springer. See Chapter 11.
- Vassiliou, M.S.and David Alberts (2012), "Megatrends Influencing C2," Proc. 2012 International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium.
- Vassiliou, M.S. and David Alberts (2013), "C2 Failures: A Taxonomy and Analysis," Proc. 2013 International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium.
- Vassiliou, Marius et al. (2013), "Crucial Differences Between Military and Commercial Needs in Communications Technology." Invited Paper , Proc. IEEE Milcom 2013."
- Vassiliou, Marius, David S. Alberts, and Jonathan R. Agre (2015). "C2 Re-Envisioned: the Future of the Enterprise." New York: CRC Press.
- Vassiliou, Marius, David S. Alberts, and Jonathan R. Agre (2017). C2 Re-Envisioned: the Future of the Enterprise (Chinese Edition). Beijing: National Defense Industry Press.