Marina (2012 film)
Marina is a 2012 Tamil comedy film written, produced, and directed by Pandiraj starring Sivakarthikeyan in his feature film debut and Oviya in the lead roles. The music was composed by Girishh G. The movie released on 3 February 2012. It received mixed reviews.
Theatrical release poster
|Music by||Girishh G|
|Edited by||Athiappan Shiva|
Ambikapathy ('Pakoda' Pandian) is an orphan runaway who escapes from his cruel uncle to Chennai and eventually ends up at Marina Beach. He earns his livelihood by selling drinking water packets and later poached chickpeas to people visiting the beach. His calm and mature manners win him the admiration and later the friendship of other boys employed at the beach. Ambikapathy dreams of being educated, so he works in the day to save money for schooling whilst trying to study at night on his own. His desire to be enrolled in a proper school slowly begins to rub off on the other children on the beach. An old man (Sundararajan) and postman (Jithan Mohan) are the guardian of sorts for these street-children. The beach also attracts many lovebirds; one such couple is Senthilnathan (Sivakarthikeyan) and Swapnasundari (Oviya).
- Sivakarthikeyan as Senthilnathan
- Oviya as Swapnasundari
- 'Pakoda' Pandian as Ambikapathy
- Gautham Purushoth as Kailasam
- ‘Jithan' Mohan as Postman
- Sundararajan as Old Man
- Sathish - This boy died in an accident on 8 September 2012.
- Senthi Kumari as Swapnasundari's mother
- Jayaprakash as guest appearance
Special appearances in Promotional song by :
Like Pandiraj's debut film Pasanga, Marina too revolves around children, focusing on street-children at Chennai's the Marina beach, who peddle snacks and knick-knacks to survive. The film is said to be inspired from Mira Nair's critically acclaimed Hindi film Salaam Bombay! (1988).
Pavithra Srinivasan of Rediff.com rated Marina 3/5 stating that it is "worth a watch." Rohit Ramachandran of Nowrunning.com rated it 2/5 calling it a "failed attempt at making a companion piece to Pasanga." Sify's Moviebuzz dismissed the film as "boring." Behindwoods Review Board rated it 2.5/5 calling Marina a "pleasant beach"
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||9 January 2012|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sa Re Ga Ma|
|Girishh G chronology|
The soundtrack of Marina, composed by the debut music director London based musician Girishh G, was released on 9 January 2012 at the Marina Beach. The song "Vanakkam Vaazhavaikkum Chennai", penned by Na. Muthukumar, which talks about life in Chennai, would feature several noted film personalities. The songs received positive reviews.
|1.||"Vanakkam Chennai"||Na. Muthukumar||Mukesh, Shilpa Natarajan, Ramshanker||4:40|
|2.||"Kadhal Oru Devadhai"||Na. Muthukumar||Haricharan, Manasi||4:51|
|3.||"Marina Marina Theme"||Na. Muthukumar||Madras Youth Choir, Manasi, Monissha||2:34|
|4.||"Yelelo"||Yugabharathi||Benny Dayal, Sandhya, Andrea Jeremiah||4:42|
|6.||"Life In Marina"||Instrumental||3:44|
- "'Marina' releases on February 3". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Marina is Boring". sify.com. Archived from the original on 31 January 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "Marina Movie Review". kollyinsider.com. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- "Marina Review - Tamil Movie Review by Rohit Ramachandran". Nowrunning.com. 4 February 2012. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Pandiraj's next is 'Marina' - Breaking News - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Siva Karthikeyan & Oviya team with Pandiraj - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Salam Bombay, says Pandiraj - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- Marina opened at No.1 in Chennai box office
- Marina remains at No.1 in Chennai on its second weekend
- "Review: Merina is worth a watch - Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 6 February 2012. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Movie Review:Marina". Sify.com. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Marina Review - Marina Movie Review". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Marina In Marina! - Marina - Pandiraj - Tamil Movie News". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Vikram, Sneha in 'Marina'!". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 9 January 2012.