Marianne Suhr MRICS (born c. 1969) is an English Chartered Building Surveyor, writer, and expert on historic buildings. She co-presented the television series Restoration with Ptolemy Dean and Griff Rhys Jones.
Suhr trained with the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings and runs training courses for them. She also writes articles for national newspapers and magazines, including contributions to Period Living.
On her own account, she restored a derelict thatched cottage in Kibworth Beauchamp, Leicestershire, with a friend. On completion of the project, in May 2005, she advised "Don't expect to make money on a project if you're going to do it properly. It involves a lot of time, expensive materials and specialist craftsmen. Estimate the cost and duration of the work, then double both." In 2006, with her partner Richard, she renovated a timber-framed house in Oxfordshire as a home.
There is nothing worse than a Brit banging on about finding a fantastic old French barn for only £20,000 with all of its original features and then they spend the next six months ripping them all out. The problem is we are buying incredibly picturesque homes and then rather bizarrely taking all the wibbly wobbliness out.
- Urban Renewal Berlin: Experience Examples Prospects (Senate Building and Housing Department, 1991)
- Old House Handbook: a Practical Guide to Care and Repair (with Roger Hunt) (London, Frances Lincoln Publishers, 2008, ISBN 978-0-7112-2772-9)
- Old House Eco Handbook: a Practical Guide to Retrofitting for Energy-Efficiency & Sustainability (with Roger Hunt) (London, Frances Lincoln Publishers, 2013, ISBN 978-0-7112-3278-5)
- "Biographies" (PDF). BBC. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- Marianne Suhr at imdb.com, accessed 23 July 2008
- Project: Restoration Archived 13 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine at electricsky.com, accessed 23 July 2008
- Speaker Profile: Marianne Suhr, H&R Period Property Expert Archived 3 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine at homebuildingshow.co.uk, accessed 23 July 2008
- Support from on high for gutter project! Archived 30 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine, press release at maintainyourbuilding.org.uk, accessed 23 July 2008
- A proper Restoration job, The Daily Telegraph, 30 May 2005, accessed 23 July 2008
- Marianne Suhr's Renovation Diaries dated 23 November 2006 (from January 2007 issue of Period Living magazine), accessed 23 July 2008
- How not to wreck a French ruin, The Daily Telegraph, accessed 23 July 2008
- Profile: Marianne Suhr Building surveyor and co-presenter of the BBC's Restoration series at British Library Direct
- Marianne Suhr on IMDb