Marianne, Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn
Marianne, Dowager Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, (born Baroness Marianne von Mayr-Melnhof; 9 December 1919) is a German photographer, and the mother of Alexander, 7th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn (born 1943).
|Dowager Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn|
|Born||9 December 1919|
|Spouse||Ludwig, 6th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn|
|Father||Baron Friedrich von Mayr-Melnhof|
|Mother||Countess Maria-Anna von Meran|
Marianne was born on 9 December 1919 in Salzburg, the eldest daughter of Baron Friedrich Mayr von Melnhof (1892–1956), owner of the Glanegg Castle near Salzburg, and of Countess Maria-Anna von Meran (1897–1983), granddaughter of Franz, Count of Meran, head of a morganatic branch of the imperial Habsburg-Lorraine. The Mayr von Melnhof family were Catholic Styrians since the 15th century and, having become industrialists, were ennobled with the title of Baron in Austria in 1859.
Marriage and childrenEdit
- Princess Yvonne (born 9 December 1942) married firstly in 1962 Alfons, Count von Coreth zu Coredo (born 1930), a photographer who served as honorary Thai consul in Salzburg (divorced 1970), and married secondly in 1976 physician Klaus Bolzano, Edler von Kronstätt (born 1936), and has issue from both marriages;
- Alexander, 7th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn (born 22 November 1943) married Countess Gabriela von Schönborn-Wiesentheid (born 16 October 1950) in 1969, and they have issue;
- Princess Elisabeth (born 1 April 1948) married bank manager Hasso, Baron Schuler von Senden (born 30 January 1943) in 1970, and they have issue;
- Princess Teresa (born 25 April 1952) married firstly in 1973 Don Luis de Figueroa y Griffith, Count of Quintanilla (born 5 February 1950) (divorced 1983), son of author Aline Griffith, Dowager Countess of Romanones, and married secondly attorney Count Karl-Erbo von Kageneck in 1983, and has issue from both marriages;
- Prince Peter (born 22 January 1954) married actress Sunnyi Melles (born 7 Oct 1958) in 1993, and they have issue.
Titles and stylesEdit
- 9 December 1919 - 12 Mar 1942: Baroness Marianne von Mayr-Melnhof
- 12 Mar 1942 - 22 September 1953: Her Serene Highness Princess Marianne, The Hereditary Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn
- 22 September 1953 - 9 January 1962: Her Serene Highness Princess Marianne, The Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn
- 9 January 1962 – present: Her Serene Highness Princess Marianne, The Dowager Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn
|Ancestors of Marianne, Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn|
- In 1919 royalty and nobility lost their privileges in Germany, hereditary titles were to be legally borne thereafter only as part of the surname, according to Article 109 of the Weimar Constitution.
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser XIX. "Sayn-Wittgenstein". C.A. Starke Verlag, 2011, pp. 331-334. (German). ISBN 978-3-7980-0849-6.
- Enache, Nicolas. La Descendance de Marie-Therese de Habsburg. ICC, Paris, 1996. pp. 292, 300-301. (French). ISBN 2-908003-04-X