This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Maria Flordeluna is a Filipino primetime soap opera that aired on ABS-CBN and DZMM TeleRadyo in the Philippines and on The Filipino Channel worldwide. A radio version of the series aired weekdays on DZMM Radyo Patrol 630 in the Philippines. The show aired from February 12, 2007 to June 22, 2007 replacing Super Inggo.
|Based on||Flordeluna (radio drama)|
Flordeluna (RPN TV series)
|Theme music composer||Arden Condez and Jonathan Manalo|
|Opening theme||"Maria Flordeluna" by Sheryn Regis|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||93|
|Running time||20-30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Star Creatives|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||February 12 –|
June 22, 2007
|Related shows||Flordeluna (RPN, Book 1: 1978-1983; Book 2: 1987-1988)|
The series is based on the Flordeluna radio drama of the 1970s written by Marcos Navarro Sacol. Flordeluna was first adapted for television by RPN in the 1970s starring Janice de Belen in the title role. It tells the story of the title character, an 11-year-old girl, and her efforts in bringing her family together against all odds.
Cast and charactersEdit
- Main cast
|Actor / Character||Character Description|
as Maria Flordeluna Alicante †
|Maria Flordeluna is the daughter of Leo and Elvira. She was named after a white flower that only blooms at night. She is an eleven-year-old who struggles to keep her family together and happy. In the end of the story, to keep her father alive, she pushes him out of the way and dies from falling into a pile of rocks.|
as Josephine "Jo" Espero-Alicante
|Jo Espero is a teacher who first falls in love with Leo Alicante in 1994 and marries him 13 years later. She has one daughter, Wilma.|
as Gen. Leo Alvarado Alicante
|Leo Alicante is the father of Maria Flordeluna and Reneboy with his deceased wife Elvira Aragoncillo. He is now married to Jo Espero.|
as Gary Alvarado
|Gary Alvarado is a soldier in the Philippine military and Leo's half-brother/rival.|
as Maria Elvira Aragoncillo-Alicante †
|Elvira Aragoncillo is a governors daughter who falls in love with Leo Alicante and marries him. She dies after being shot by rebels and enemies of Leo and the Philippine military.|
as Brigida Espero
|Brigida is Jo's mother and Wilma's grandmother. Her nickname is "Mamita."|
as Jacob Charles "JC" Custodio
|JC is a student at the university Annie attends and is the leader of an on-campus action group.|
as Annie Natividad
|Annie is the daughter of Tibor, who is attending college and lives with her father at the Alicante home.|
as Ret. Gen. Carlos Alvarado Alicante
|Carlos Alvarado is a retired Philippine military general and father to Leo and Gary. He is the grandfather of Maria Flordeluna and Reneboy.|
as Tibor Natividad
|Tibor is Leo's uncle who now serves as the family driver.|
as Renato Manuel "Reneboy" Alicante
|Reneboy is the youngest son of Leo and Elvira and brother to Maria Flordeluna. He is eight years old.|
as Wilma Espero
|Wilma is the daughter of Jo Espero who becomes Flor and Reneboy's stepsister.|
|Soling is the trusted servant of the Alicante family.|
- Supporting cast
- Mark Dionisio as Lt. Col. Isagani Fernandez
- Frances Ignacio as Marie: She is Jo's partner at the tutoring center.
- Menggie Cobarrubias as General Torres
- Neil Ryan Sese as Adolfo
- Joshua Dionisio as Boyet - Flor's love interest
- Cheena Crab as Greta: She is Brigida's personal maid.
- Darius Cardano as Mark
- Peewee OHara as Iya: She is JC's yaya or nanny who helps him and Annie realize their feelings for each other.
- Dennis Coronel as Captain Castro
- Nikki Bagaporo as Angel: She is Flor's best friend at school.
- Ariel Reonal as Ariel Trono: He's a television news correspondent who reports on the controversy about Leo Alicante and Gary/Spider and later on contacts the latter for a price.
- Tenessee Angelica Blue Cruz as the friend of flordeluna.
- Guest cast
- Carlo Artillaga as Lawyer of Leo
- Bing Davao as Young Carlos
- Mika Dela Cruz as "Julia"/Maria Flordeluna Alicante II: The youngest sister of Flor, Reneboy, and Wilma.
- Patrick dela Rosa as Allan
- Gabb Drillon as Teenage Gary
- Franzen Fajardo as Enteng
- Mar Garchitorena as Governor Aragoncillo
- Tanya Gomez as Teresita V. Alicante
- Nanding Josef as Mang Jose
- Mike Lloren as Max
- Ricky Rivero as Police Investigator
- Yul Servo as Danillo Ferrer
- Yvette Taguera as Lias
- Radio cast
- Roxanne Manato as Maria Flordeluna Alicante
- Christian Alvear as Rene Boy Alicante
- Mary Joy Adorable as Wilma Espero
- Rosanna Villegas as Jo Espero
- Danny Depante as Leo Alicante
- Abby Masilongan as Elvira Aragoncillo-Alicante
- Eric Galvez as Gary Alvarado
The series theme song is "Maria Flordeluna" and was written by Arden Condez and Jonathan Manalo. It was composed and arranged by Jonathan Manalo and is performed by Sheryn Regis. The song was nominated for a 2007 Awit Award.
There are also two love themes: "Hanggang May Kailanman" performed by Vina Morales, but originally performed by Carol Banawa (both versions were used on the show) and "Lihim" performed by Acel Bisa. Also used during the show is a version of "Lihim" sung by Alwyn Uytingco and Jill Yulo.
Maria Flordeluna was the only primetime drama series in 2007 on either ABS-CBN or GMA to have gained viewers through the duration of its run until its eventual record breaking finale episode. It currently holds the record as the highest rated program on nationwide Philippine television (42.3%, based on monthly nationwide ratings) since AGB Nielsen's nationwide urban television audience measurement service (NUTAM) was first launched in October 2006. The finale episode itself holds the record as the highest NUTAM rated series finale (and highest rated episode of a regular series) with a 49.3%.
Awards and nominationsEdit
The 21st Star Awards for TelevisionEdit
The series was nominated for Best Primetime Drama Series at the 21st Star Awards for Television, given by The Philippine Movie Press Club.
The 20th Awit Awards 2007Edit
The theme song, "Maria Flordeluna," was nominated in the category of Best Song Written for Movie/TV/Stage Play.
Catholic Mass Media Awards 2008Edit
- Directed by Jerry Lopez Sineneng
- 2nd Unit Director: Rechie del Carmen
- Headwriter Arah Jell Badayos
- Writers: Rose Colindres, Arden Condez
- Executive Producers: Minnella Abad, Myleen Ongkiko
- Musical Director: Jessie Lasaten
- Lighting Director: Christopher Manjares, George Tutanes
- Production Designers: Sammy Aranzamendez, Malou Dugtong-de Guzman
- Creative Consultant: Loida Viriña
- Creative Manager: Jake Tordesillas
- Production Manager: Annaliza A. Goma
- Executive-in-Charge of Creative: Olivia M. Lamasan
- Executive-in-Charge of Production: Malou N. Santos
- Associate Producer Maria Eleanor Trono
- Assistant Directors Bombee Blaza, Raymond Ocampo, Paul Michael Acero
More than 1,000 young actresses auditioned for the role of Maria Flordeluna which eventually went to Eliza Pineda. The pilot episode aired for approximately one hour and 20 minutes on Monday, February 12, 2007. The finale episode had a runtime of approximately 45 minutes (excluding commercials).
- The original role was played by TV host and actress child star Janice De Belen.
- The writer of the story is Loida Virina, who also made Gulong ng Palad. Both her serials were very successful and remade on ABS-CBN.
- The 1970s version ran for 10 years, while the 2007 version ran for 4 months.
- Eliza Pineda and Kristel Fulgar were together for the second time after the drama series Bituin, as the young Desiree Del Valle (Eliza) and young Carol Banawa (Kristel).
- Bandinelli), Nielsen (custom template by David. "Nielsen Television Audience Measurement | News". www.agbnielsen.net. Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- Godinez, Bong. "TV Ratings: "Maria Flordeluna" still tops NUTAM finale episodes; "Marimar" in second". Retrieved 2018-08-13.