Maria Elena Bello (born April 18, 1967) is an American actress and writer. Her many film roles include Permanent Midnight (1998), Payback (1999), Coyote Ugly (2000), The Cooler (2003), A History of Violence (2005), The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008), Prisoners (2013), and Lights Out (2016). Bello is known for her television roles as Dr. Anna Del Amico on the medical drama ER (1997–1998), with other starring roles including that as Lucy Robbins on the series Touch in 2013, as Michelle McBride on the first season of the series Goliath in 2016, and since 2017 as Special Agent Jacqueline "Jack" Sloane on the series NCIS.
Bello at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival
|Born||Maria Elena Bello|
April 18, 1967 (age 51)
Norristown, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Bello was born in Norristown, Pennsylvania, to Kathy, a school nurse and teacher, and Joe Bello, a contractor. Her father is Italian American, with roots in Montella, Italy, and her mother is Polish American. She grew up in a working-class Roman Catholic family and graduated from Archbishop John Carroll High School in Radnor, Pennsylvania. She majored in political science at Villanova University. Following graduation, Bello honed her acting skills in a number of New York theater productions.
Her breakthrough came when she was cast as Mrs. Smith in the TV series spy show Mr. & Mrs. Smith, though the show was cancelled after 8 weeks. She then appeared in the final three episodes of the third season of ER as pediatrician Dr. Anna Del Amico and was a regular cast member during the medical drama's fourth season.
Bello moved on to films, landing a role in Coyote Ugly (2000). She was nominated for the Golden Globe award twice: for Best Supporting Actress in The Cooler (2003) and for Best Actress in A History of Violence (2005). She starred in The Jane Austen Book Club (2007) as Jocelyn.
In 2008, Bello starred in The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor as Evelyn O'Connell. In December 2008, Bello began developing a drama for HBO. Besides starring in the new series, Bello was planned to also serve as an executive producer. She starred in the 2009 drama film The Yellow Handkerchief, which was released in theatres on February 26, 2010 by Samuel Goldwyn Films.
In 2011, Bello became a founding board member of the CQ Matrix Company, a company created by her then life-partner, Clare Munn, to help clients achieve "transformative living and the power of intelligent exchange" by enhancing their communication quotient.
In the aftermath of the 2010 Haiti earthquake, Bello founded WE ADVANCE with Aleda Frishman, Alison Thompson, and Barbara Guillaume. It is an organization that encourages Haitian women to collaborate in making healthcare a priority, and putting an end to domestic violence within their communities. Currently, the organization is based in a health clinic and a community outreach center in Cité Soleil. Bello is also a board member of Darfur Women Action Group, an NGO that undertakes activism on behalf of genocide victims of the Darfur conflict.
Bello has a son with former boyfriend Dan McDermott.
She published a book, Whatever...Love Is Love: Questioning the Labels We Give Ourselves (Dey Street Books, April 28, 2015).
|2000||Coyote Ugly||Lil Lovell|
|2001||China: The Panda Adventure||Ruth Harkness|
|2002||Auto Focus||Patricia Olson / Patricia Crane / Sigrid Valdis|
|2002||100 Mile Rule||Monica|
|2003||The Cooler||Natalie Belisario|
|2004||Silver City||Nora Allardyce|
|2004||Secret Window||Amy Rainey|
|2005||Assault on Precinct 13||Alex Sabian|
|2005||A History of Violence||Edie Stall|
|2006||Thank You for Smoking||Polly Bailey|
|2006||The Sisters||Marcia Prior Glass|
|2006||World Trade Center||Donna McLoughlin|
|2007||The Jane Austen Book Club||Jocelyn|
|2007||Butterfly on a Wheel||Abby Randall||AKA Shattered|
|2008||Downloading Nancy||Nancy Stockwell|
|2008||The Yellow Handkerchief||May|
|2008||The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor||Evelyn O'Connell||Replacing Rachel Weisz|
|2009||The Private Lives of Pippa Lee||Suky|
|2010||The Company Men||Sally Wilcox|
|2010||Grown Ups||Sally Lamonsoff|
|2011||Beautiful Boy||Kate Carroll|
|2013||Grown Ups 2||Sally Lamonsoff|
|2014||Big Driver||Tess Thorne|
|2015||McFarland, USA||Cheryl White|
|2015||Demonic||Dr. Elizabeth Klein|
|2016||The 5th Wave||Sergeant Reznik|
|2016||The Late Bloomer||Brenda Newmans|
|2016||Max Steel||Molly McGrath|
|2016||Wait Till Helen Comes||Jean||AKA Little Girl's Secret|
|2017||In Search of Fellini||Claire|
|2018||Better Start Running||Agent McFadden|
|2018||Giant Little Ones||Carly Winter|
|1996||Mr. & Mrs. Smith||Mrs. Smith||13 episodes|
|1997–1998||ER||Dr. Anna Del Amico||Season 4|
|2010||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Vivian Arliss||2 episodes|
|2011–2012||Prime Suspect||Jane Timoney||13 episodes|
|2012–2013||Touch||Lucy Robbins||13 episodes|
|2016||Goliath||Michelle McBride||8 episodes|
|2017–present||NCIS||NCIS Special Agent Jacqueline "Jack" Sloane||Season 15–present|
|2017||XQ Super School Live||Herself||1 episode|
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "Maria Bello Biography (1967-)". FilmReference.com. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "Supporting, Encouraging and Challenging the WWME Community". eMatrimony. Archived from the original on September 26, 2013. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "All'attrice Maria Bello l'Ischia Humanitarian Award / Actress Maria Bello: Ischia Humanitarian Award". Napoli.repubblica.it. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
Il nonni paterni di Maria Bello, 45 anni, erano originari di Montella, in provincia di Avellino / The paternal grandparents of Maria Bello, 45, were from Montella, Avellino(in Italian)
- "Maria Bello, 'Getting Better and Better'". Washingtonpost.com. August 11, 2006. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "Maria Bello". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- "Maria Bello". AskMen.com. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- "Maria Bello", NYTimes.com
- "Maria Bello Interview". futuremovies.co.uk. April 1, 2001.
- Schneider, Michael (December 21, 2008). "HBO seals deal with Maria Bello". Variety. Retrieved December 30, 2008.
- "Exclusive: Maria Bello Signs On to SVU". TVGuide.com.
- "CQ". ClareMunn.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
... board members including founding board member Maria Bello...
- "International Demonic Trailer Begins Haunting - Dread Central". January 5, 2015. Retrieved October 27, 2017.
- Bello, Maria. "How to ADVANCE Our Money in Haiti". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 10, 2011.
- http://www.darfurwomenaction.org/about/board/maria-bello-darfur-women-action-group-board-member[permanent dead link]
- Eggenberger, Nicole (December 2, 2013). "Maria Bello Shares 'Modern Family' Picture With Girlfriend Clare Munn and Ex-Boyfriend Dan McDermott After Coming Out as Gay". Us Weekly. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- Bello, Maria (November 29, 2013). "Coming Out as a Modern Family - NYTimes.com". The New York Times. New York: NYTC. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved December 2, 2013.