Naamloze Vennootschap Margarine Unie (English: Margarine Union Limited) was a Dutch company formed in 1927 in Oss by the merger of four margarine companies, Antoon Jurgens United, Van den Bergh's, Centra, and Schicht's. Margarine Unie was the dominant producer of margarine in the UK.
|Naamloze Vennootschap Margarine Unie|
|Predecessors||Antoon Jurgens United|
Van den Bergh's
|Fate||Merged with Lever Brothers|
The company has its origins in Antoon Jurgens United, a company which was founded in 1867 by Antoon Jurgens. The company introduced its manufactured margarine after acquiring the patents and rights to Mège-Mouriès' invention in 1871. In 1908, production at Antoon Jurgens United was 50,000 tons.
In 1908 Antoon Jurgens United formed a profit-sharing arrangement with Van den Bergh's which had been formed by Samuel van den Bergh and which, like Antoon Jurgens United, was based in the town of Oss, Netherlands.
Naamloze Vennootschap Margarine Unie (English: Margarine Union Limited) was formed in 1927 in Rotterdam by the merger of four margarine companies, Antoon Jurgens United, Van den Bergh's, Centra, and Schicht's. The merged entity acquired the interests of Van den Bergh's in England (Margarine Union Limited) and those of Van den Bergh's and Antoon Jurgens United in the Netherlands (N.V. Margarine Unie). The companies were set up in an agreement under which the shareholders benefited as if they had shares in a single company.
- "UN Profile - Unilever NV Common Stock Stock - Yahoo Finance". Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- Chandler, Alfred Dupont; Hikino, Takashi (2009). Scale and Scope: The Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism. Harvard University Press. p. 382. ISBN 978-0674029385.
- Schiff, Eric (2016). Industrialization Without National Patents: The Netherlands, 1869-1912; Switzerland, 1850-1907 (Princeton Legacy Library). Princeton University Press. p. 57. ISBN 978-0691647449.
- "Van den Berghs - Graces Guide". Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- Ferdinand Bernt: "Johann Schicht, Sein Leben und Wirken", Wien 1909.
- "Margarine Union Limited". The Times (London, England). November 15, 1927.
- "ppl n org rep - Unilever". Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- "History – Upfield". Retrieved 5 November 2020.