Hon. Margaret Rhodes, LVO (née Elphinstone; 9 June 1925 – 25 November 2016) was a first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. From 1991 to 2002, she served as Woman of the Bedchamber to Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.
Rhodes in a 2015 ITV interview
9 June 1925
|Died||25 November 2016 (aged 91)|
Windsor, Berkshire, England
(m. 1950; died 1981)
|Parent(s)||Sidney Elphinstone, 16th Lord Elphinstone|
Lady Mary Bowes-Lyon
Early life and educationEdit
Born Margaret Elphinstone in Westminster, London, Rhodes was the youngest daughter of the 16th Lord Elphinstone and his wife, Lady Mary Bowes-Lyon, an elder sister of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. Less than a year older than the future queen, she was a frequent playmate of the young Princess Elizabeth. During the Second World War she lived at Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace, and took a secretarial course. On 20 November 1947, she was a bridesmaid to Princess Elizabeth at her wedding to Philip Mountbatten, Duke of Edinburgh.
During World War II, she worked as a secretary for MI6. She was a Woman of the Bedchamber – a mix of lady-in-waiting and companion – to her aunt, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, from 1991 until the latter's death in 2002.
In the 2000 Birthday Honours Rhodes was appointed Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order (LVO). She lived in the Garden House, a grace and favour residence in Windsor Great Park. In the run-up to the Queen's 80th birthday in April 2006, Rhodes gave an interview to the BBC in which she stated her belief that the Queen would not abdicate.
- Annabel Margaret Rhodes (born 21 February 1952); she married Christopher James Downing Strickland-Skailes in 1978. They have one son. She remarried (Geoffrey Vallack) Charles Cope in 1986
- Andrew James Downing Strickland-Skailes (born 1980)
- Victoria Ann Rhodes (born 27 September 1953), a goddaughter of Queen Elizabeth II; married Nicholas Deans in 1974
- Simon John Gravenor Rhodes (born 22 February 1957), a godson of Princess Margaret; married Susan Simon in 1983
- Michael Andrew Gravenor Rhodes (born 8 June 1960)
|Ancestors of Margaret Rhodes|
- "Margaret Rhodes". Desert Island Discs. 3 June 2012. BBC Radio 4. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "Index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- Knapton, Sarah (27 November 2016). "Queen's cousin and best friend Margaret Rhodes dies aged 91". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- Barry Neild; Nick Glass (5 June 2012). "How Diana's death turned queen into 'proper granny'". CNN. London. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Grice, Elizabeth (13 April 2011). "Margaret Rhodes: The Queen's cousin". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- Brandreth, Gyles (2005). Philip & Elizabeth: Portrait of a Royal Marriage (First American ed.). New York: W.W. Norton.
- Chen, Joyce (17 July 2013). "I'm "Not Terribly" Excited about Kate Middleton's Baby". US Weekly. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "The Who's Who Behind the Palace Walls: The Ladies in waiting of Royalty". The Royal Fanzine. 3 November 2011. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- Amanpour, Christiane (16 July 2013). "The Queen's cousin". CNN. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Queen 'will never quit throne' claims cousin". Scotsman. 19 April 2006.
- English, Rebecca (20 April 2006). "'The Queen will NEVER consider abdicating'". Daily Mail.
- "Margaret Rhodes". BBC Radio 4. 3 June 2012.
- Margaret Rhodes on IMDb
- "Queen is in mourning after her best friend and beloved cousin Margaret Rhodes dies aged 91". 27 November 2016.
- The Honourable Margaret Rhodes (26 June 2011). "I'm blissfully happy... married to the best and nicest man in the world [Excerpt from The Final Curtsey]". Daily Mail.
- Hunt, Peter (27 November 2016). "Queen's cousin Margaret Rhodes dies".
- "Royal Godchildren". Yvonne's Royalty Home Page. Retrieved 15 June 2013.