Sarah Margaret Qualley (born October 23, 1994) is an American actress and dancer. The daughter of actress Andie MacDowell, she trained as a ballerina and briefly pursued modeling. She gained recognition for playing a troubled daughter in the HBO mystery series The Leftovers (2014–2017) and for portraying the actress and dancer Ann Reinking in the FX biographical drama miniseries Fosse/Verdon (2019). For the latter, she received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series.
Qualley at the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con
Sarah Margaret Qualley
October 23, 1994
|Parent(s)||Andie MacDowell, Paul Qualley|
Qualley has appeared in the dark comedy film The Nice Guys (2016) and Quentin Tarantino's comedy-drama Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019), and has starred in the Netflix films Death Note (2017) and Io (2019).
Sarah Margaret Qualley was born on October 23, 1994, in Montana. She is the daughter of actress and model Andie MacDowell, and model, musician, contractor, and rancher Paul Qualley. She has an older brother, Justin (born 1986), and an older sister, Rainey (born 1990).
The Qualley siblings spent their early years on a ranch in Missoula, Montana, moving to Asheville, North Carolina, when Margaret was four. Qualley's parents separated when she was five years old, and she subsequently split her time equally between each parent. For many years, her parents lived just three miles apart. Her family home with MacDowell is in Biltmore Forest, and they have extended family nearby.
Education and trainingEdit
She first took interest in ballet and studied it as a toddler. As a teenager growing up in Asheville, North Carolina, she and her sister were both debutantes, and Qualley made her debut at the Bal des débutantes in Paris.
She left home at 14 to board at the North Carolina School of the Arts, where she studied dance. She trained as a ballerina, earning an apprenticeship at the American Ballet Theatre and studying at New York's Professional Children's School. However, at the age of 16, following an offer to become an apprentice with the North Carolina Dance Theater company, Qualley decided to quit dance. In order to stay in New York, she began working as a model. Of this period, Qualley says: "I wrote to my mom saying: 'Look, I don't think I want to be a dancer any more so I'm going to quit ballet and stay here. I will have this and this income next week.' I laid it out in a way that she couldn't say no because I was so organised." Qualley later changed her focus to acting and attended London's Royal Academy of Dramatic Art summer program.
In 2011, Qualley made her modeling debut at the age of 16 during New York Fashion Week, walking for Alberta Ferretti. She modelled during Paris Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2012 for Valentino and Chanel. She again walked for Chanel during their Fall/Winter 2012 show. Qualley has posed for publications such as Vogue, W, Teen Vogue, Interview, Vanity Fair, and Nylon. Qualley appeared in the Ralph Lauren Fall/Winter 2016 print campaign, shot by Steven Meisel.
Qualley first appeared on screen in 2013 playing a small part in Gia Coppola's film Palo Alto. She received the part because she happened to be on set visiting her then-boyfriend, Nat Wolff.
In June 2013, she was cast as a series regular in the HBO television series The Leftovers. Qualley reprised her role as Jill Garvey for the subsequent second and third seasons of The Leftovers in 2015 and 2017, respectively.
In 2016, she appeared in Shane Black's comedy The Nice Guys. In April 2016, Qualley was announced to have joined the cast of Shawn Christensen's The Vanishing of Sidney Hall. The film premiered at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival, alongside another film of hers, Novitiate. In Novitiate, Qualley stars as Sister Cathleen, a young woman who begins to question her faith as she trains to be a nun. The film was released on October 27, 2017. That same year, Qualley starred in Death Note, directed by Adam Wingard.
In 2019, Qualley starred in the Netflix science-fiction film IO. The film was directed by Jonathan Helpert and it was released on January 18, 2019. She played Sam Walden, a teenager surviving as one of the last people on an abandoned post-cataclysmic Earth, who is racing to find a cure for her poisoned home world before the last shuttle off the planet to the distant human space colony leaves her stranded. That same year, she portrayed the role of Mary Dalton in Rashid Johnson's HBO adaption of Native Son. In 2019, Qualley also portrayed actress and dancer Ann Reinking in the FX miniseries Fosse/Verdon, for which she received a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie nomination. She then appeared in Quentin Tarantino's film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, playing a member of the Manson Family named Pussycat. and in Seberg opposite Kristen Stewart and Jack O'Connell directed by Benedict Andrews.
In other mediaEdit
In 2015, Qualley appeared in the short promotional film L'Américaine for American fashion label Tory Burch. The film was directed by Dianna Agron, who would later be Qualley's costar on Novitiate.
Qualley appears as the central character in a Spike Jonze-directed commercial for KENZO World. The 2016 short film/ad was choreographed by Ryan Heffington. However, much of the dance routine was improvised by Qualley herself, as she is trained in classical ballet.
As of June 2017, Qualley lives in Los Angeles with her sister Rainey, with whom she shares a dog named Books. Qualley has described her sister as "my idol, my best friend in the whole world." She dated actor Nat Wolff from 2013 to 2015. In late August 2019 it was reported that Qualley had started dating comedian Pete Davidson but that reportedly ended a few months later.
|2016||The Nice Guys||Amelia Kuttner|
|2017||Novitiate||Sister Cathleen Harris|
|The Vanishing of Sidney Hall||Alexandra|
|Death Note||Mia Sutton / Kira|
|Native Son||Mary Dalton|
|Once Upon a Time in Hollywood||Pussycat|
|Strange but True||Melissa Moody|
|TBA||My Salinger Year||Joanna||Post-production|
|2014–2017||The Leftovers||Jill Garvey||18 episodes|
|2018||Asesinato en el Hormiguero Express||Margaret Qualley||Television special|
|2019||Fosse/Verdon||Ann Reinking||5 episodes|
|2019||Death Stranding||Mama, Lockne||Also motion capture|
- "InStyle Magazine Covers: 1995". In Style Magazine. Retrieved May 22, 2016.
- "Andie Macdowell profile". filmreference.com. Retrieved 2016-05-22.
- "The two lives of Andie MacDowell". main.nc.us. Retrieved 18 October 2019.
- Rovzar, Chris. "Rainey and Margaret Qualley on Their Singing and Acting Careers". HWD. Retrieved 2017-07-24.
- "Introducing indie actress Margaret Qualley". Evening Standard. 2017-06-14. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Margaret Qualley's father built a house behind her school". LadyFirst. Retrieved 18 October 2019.
- Franco, Jose. "MacDowell to wed former Gaffney classmate". Hendersonville Times-News. Times-News Staff. Retrieved 18 October 2019.
- "Marion St. Pierre MacDowell Obituary - Newton, NC". Dignity Memorial. Retrieved 18 October 2019.
- "MacDowell Colony". Town and Country Magazine. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- "Debutantes in movies: Stars of stage and screen". NOLA.com. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- "Meet Margaret Qualley: HBO's Next It Girl". Vogue. June 26, 2014.
- "Margaret Qualley plays Justin Theroux's daughter on The Leftovers but her real-life Mom is famous, too". Bustle. June 29, 2014.
- "Andie MacDowell's Daughters Make the Move to LA". The Daily Truffle. September 2, 2016.
- Nast, Condé. "Margaret Qualley Says People Shouldn't Be Patted on the Back for Hiring Women". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 18 October 2019.
- "Andie Macdowell's daughter, 16, makes modelling debut at Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti's New York Fashion Week show". Daily Mail. September 15, 2011.
- mediaslide.com. "Margaret Qualley | Uno models Barcelona & Madrid". Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Margaret Qualley – Model". MODELS.com. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Chanel F/W 12 Show (Chanel)". MODELS.com. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Margaret Qualley | Ralph Lauren | IMG Models". IMG Models. 2016-10-20. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "IMG Models, Margaret Qualley – Model". imgmodels.com. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- "Margaret Qualley profile". unomodels.com. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- "Palo Alto's Young Hollywood Cast". W Magazine. May 6, 2014.
- "#TheGirlOfNow: Margaret Qualley | Vs. Magazine". Vs. Magazine. Retrieved 2017-07-24.
- "Margaret Qualley – Verge". www.verge.is. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Cable Pilots 'The Leftovers', 'Quarry' & 'The Strain' Add To Casts". Deadline. June 20, 2013.
- 
- Kit, Borys (September 22, 2016). "Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe Thriller 'Nice Guys' Casts Female Leads". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- Kroll, Justin (April 25, 2016). "Blake Jenner, Margaret Qualley and Tim Blake Nelson Join Sidney Hall". Variety. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- Debruge, Peter (December 5, 2016). "Sundance Film Festival Unveils 2017 Premieres, Midnight, Spotlight Sections". Variety. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- Novitiate (2017), retrieved 2017-07-24
- "Novitiate - 2017 - ComingSoon.net". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved 2017-07-24.
- Kroll, Justin (November 12, 2015). "'The Leftovers' Star Margaret Qualley Joins Nat Wolff in 'Death Note'". Variety. Retrieved April 16, 2016.
- Yamato, Jen. "Toronto premiere 'Donnybrook' charts a dark journey into America's heartland and the roots of white rage". latimes.com. Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- Kroll, Justin (2016-10-06). "Anthony Mackie, Margaret Qualley, and Danny Huston Join Sci-Fi Drama 'IO'". Variety. Retrieved 2017-07-24.
- Montgomery, Daniel; Montgomery, Daniel (2019-04-04). "Nick Robinson and Margaret Qualley ('Native Son') on the controversial story: 'Nobody in this film gets away scot-free' [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO INTERVIEW]". GoldDerby. Retrieved 2019-04-17.
- Petski, Denise (November 19, 2018). "'Fosse/Verdon' FX Limited Series Rounds Out Cast; Norbert Leo Butz & Margaret Qualley Set As Series Regulars". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Nordyke, Kimberly (July 16, 2019). "Emmys: HBO, 'Game of Thrones' Dominate Nominations". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- "'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' Adds Rumer Willis, Margaret Qualley and Damon Herriman". TheWrap. 2018-08-28. Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (March 14, 2018). "Kristen Stewart To Play Icon Jean Seberg In Political Thriller 'Against All Enemies'; Jack O'Connell, Anthony Mackie Also Star". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- "L'Américaine: The Paris Collection Film | Tory Daily". Tory Burch. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- Vine, Richard (August 31, 2016). "Spike Jonze gets freaky for Kenzo – where film meets beauty". The Guardian. Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- Kim, Monica. "Meet the Man Behind Margaret Qualley's Insane Dance Solo in the New Kenzo Commercial". vogue.com. Retrieved October 11, 2016.
- "Soko's New Video Is An Emo Rainbow Goth Girl Wonderland". Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Young and Rising actor Nat Wolff's successful career, his romantic relationships, break ups and hook ups..!!". Married Biography. 31 May 2017. Retrieved 18 October 2019.
- Nathan, Sara (August 31, 2019). "Pete Davidson and actress Margaret Qualley". Page six. New York Post. Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- http://www.vulture.com/2019/10/the-pete-davidson-margaret-qualley-thing-is-reportedly-over.html. Missing or empty