Mardaani 2 is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language action thriller film and a sequel to the 2014 film Mardaani. It is directed by Gopi Puthran who wrote the previous film, marking his directorial debut, and backed by Aditya Chopra through Yash Raj Films, with Rani Mukerji reprising her role of police officer Shivani Shivaji Roy from the previous film. The plot follows her attempts to catch a 21-year-old rapist and murderer, played by newcomer Vishal Jethwa.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Gopi Puthran|
|Produced by||Aditya Chopra|
|Written by||Gopi Puthran|
John Stewart Eduri
|Edited by||Monisha Baldawa|
|Distributed by||Yash Raj Films|
|Box office||₹67.12 crore|
Mardaani 2 was announced on 10 December 2018 by a social media post. Filming began in March 2019 and was extensively done in Rajasthan. The first look was unveiled in April 2019 and release date was announced in September 2019. It was released on 13 December 2019 to generally positive response. The film performed successfully at the box office and earned a worldwide gross of ₹671.2 million (US$9.4 million).
Following the success of Mardaani 2, the production house announced in December 2019, a possible third installment in the Mardaani series, titled Mardaani 3, with Rani Mukherjee reprising the role of Shivani Shivaji Roy.
As the film opens in Kota, Rajasthan, a 21-year-old psychopath, Sunny (Vishal Jethwa), kidnaps an outspoken young woman, Latika. He brutally tortures and rapes her, then kills her. As Shivani examines the case, the brutality of the murder disturbs her and makes her more determined to catch the killer.
Sunny sees Shivani on TV when she appears at a press conference and promises to find Latika's killer. He taunts her by sneaking into her home and stealing her sari, using it to kill a journalist; he also hires Pravin, a tea-seller near the local police station, to kill the journalist's wife in a suicide blast, then takes Pravin's place as tea-seller to keep an eye on her, introducing himself as a mute boy named Bajrang.
When Shivani brings in Lahanya, a child from the slums who had witnessed the blast, Sunny kills him in the toilet. When there is a media uproar, Shivani points out that Sunny is not afraid of being caught; he is doing all this because she has hurt his ego by insulting him on TV. He is a man of spectacle who is doing this for fame and pleasure. Sunny kidnaps a second bold outspoken woman (who once slapped him because he was secretly recording her); the police discover her already raped and tortured but still alive and manage to save her. The media attacks the police force for their perceived ineptness at catching Sunny and Shivani is set to be transferred. As the new S.P. is to arrive in two days, she strives to find Sunny in those two days.
Sunny, acting as Bajrang, deliberately wounds himself and gets a lift from Shivani. Before he can strangle her, Shivani stops him, having realized that Bajrang is Sunny. The two fight but Sunny escapes. Shivani discovers that Sunny's next target is the female politician Sunanda; having failed to kill Shivani, Sunny had warned her that he would instead kill someone like her. That night, amidst the Diwali celebrations, Shivani and her team search for him. Shivani discovers him in the house of a local couple, having taken their daughter and Sunanda hostage and torturing them. Shivani goes to confront him but is knocked unconscious and tied up.
When she awakes, Sunny is strangling Sunanda; to distract him, Shivani talks about his mother and his past, which she learned about from Sunny's father, who is imprisoned in Meerut. As a child, Sunny's father had tried to murder Sunny's mother, who had been an outspoken woman. In terror, Sunny's mother had hid on the terrace, but Sunny told his father where she was hiding; his father then killed his mother. The guilt of his mother's death has since caused Sunny to become unhinged and take that anger out on other confident girls.
Shivani signals Sunanda and the other hostage to toss the nearby buckets of paint on Sunny, as he is asthmatic. She then gains the upper hand, beating Sunny with his own belt. She kicks him outside and continues beating him as the neighbourhood gathers to watch.
- Rani Mukerji as SP Shivani Shivaji Roy
- Jisshu Sengupta as Dr. Vikram Bose Roy, Shivani's husband
- Vishal Jethwa as Shiv 'Sunny' Prasad Yadav / Bajrang Chaiwallah[clarification needed]
- Shruti Bapna as Inspector Bharti Angare
- Rajesh Sharma as Amit Sharma
- Tejasvi Singh Ahlawat as Latika
- Pratyksh Rajbhatt as Monty, Latika's friend
- Prasanna Ketkar as Politician Govind Mishra / Pandit Ji (Sunny's boss)[clarification needed]
- Anurag Sharma as Journalist Kamal Parihar
- Sunny Hinduja as Viplav Beniwal
- Sumit Nijhawan as DSP Brij Shekhawat
- Richa Meena as Sunanda Chaudhary
- Vikram Singh Chauhan as Inspector Anup Singhal
- Deepika Amin as Dr. Harni Kapur, Latika's doctor
- Avneet Kaur as Meera
- Pariva Praniti as Aabha Parihar
- Aanchal Srivastava as Tina
- Suresh Anand as Rawat
- Vishal Nath as Pravin
- Vishal Sudarshanwar as SHO Vinay Jaiswal
- Girish Sharma as Kunwar
On 10 December 2018 Yash Raj Films announced on their official Twitter account the making of sequel to their hit film Mardaani to be directed and scripted by Gopi Puthran. Rani Mukerji is to reprise her role of Shivani Shivaji Roy of the last film. Vikram Singh Chauhan and Shruti Bapna later on added to the cast.
The principal photography began on 27 March 2019. The official Twitter page of Yash Raj Films posted the announcement of beginning of shooting and shared a picture from the sets of the film. Rani Mukerji is set to go on the second schedule of filming in the first week of May to hunt for culprit in Kota and Jaipur in Rajasthan. Mukerji shooting in Rajasthan was battling in 42 °C temperature as she is filming fighting scenes while hunting for villain. Rajasthan schedule of the film was wrapped up on 29 May.
Mardaani 2 was released worldwide on 2105 screens. The film's opening day nett domestic collection was ₹3.80 crore. In the next two days, it earned nett ₹6.55 crore and ₹7.80 crore respectively. It grossed ₹67.12 in worldwide areas, constituting of ₹56.63 crore (Indian gross) and ₹10.49 crore (overseas gross).
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s)||Result||Ref.|
|Filmfare Awards||15 February 2020||Best Actress||Rani Mukherjee||Nominated|||
|Best Male Debut||Vishal Jethwa||Nominated|
|Best Debut Director||Gopi Puthran||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||28 March 2020||Best Actress||Rani Mukherjee||Nominated|||
|Best Male Debut||Vishal Jethwa||Won|
- "Confirmed: Rani Mukerji starrer 'Mardaani 2' to release on this date". The Deccan Chronicle. 10 August 2019. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "Mardaani 2 (2019)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 12 December 2019.
- "Rani Mukherji starrer Mardaani 2 makes approx. 25 cr. in profit for Yash Raj Films". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 6 January 2020.
- "Mardaani 2 Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 January 2020.
- "Mardaani 2 (2019)". AllMovie.
- Khandelwal, Khush (24 March 2019). "Mardaani 2, the sequel to Rani Mukerji's Mardaani, goes on floors today - see photo". Times Now News. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Rani Mukerji's next is 'Mardaani 2'". The Hindu. 10 December 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- Goyal, Divya (10 December 2018). "Mardaani 2 Is Rani Mukerji's Next Film After Hichki". NDTV. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "'Mardaani 2': Rani Mukerji's film finally goes on floors". Daily News and Analysis. 25 March 2019. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Mardaani 2 first look: Rani Mukerji returns as Bollywood's most intense cop. See pic". Hindustan Times. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Vikram Singh Chauhan joins the cast of Rani Mukerji's 'Mardaani 2'!". ABP Live. 3 April 2019. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "'Yeh Hai Mohabbatein' fame Shruti Bapna bags role in Rani Mukerji's 'Mardaani 2'". ABP Live. 29 March 2019. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "Mardaani 2: Rani Mukerji set for an action-packed schedule in Rajasthan". Bollywood Hungama. 24 April 2019. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "राजस्थान की भयानक गर्मी में मर्दानी-2 की शूटिंग कर रहीं रानी मुखर्जी, 42 डिग्री तापमान में कर रहीं एक्शन सीन्स". Times Now News 18 (in Hindi). 15 May 2019. Retrieved 15 May 2019.
- Singh, Raghuvendra (15 May 2019). "Interesting updates from the sets of Rani Mukerji's Mardaani 2". Filmfare. Retrieved 15 May 2019.
- "Mardaani 2: Rani Mukerji bonds with crew as she wraps up Rajasthan schedule, see picture". India TV News. 29 May 2019. Archived from the original on 30 May 2019. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- Yash Raj Films [@yrf] (10 August 2019). "#Mardaani2 starring #RaniMukerji as Shivani Shivaji Roy releasing in theatres near you on 13th December 2019. #Mardaani2OnDecember13" (Tweet) – via Twitter. Invalid |number= parameter (help)
- "Nominations for the 65th Amazon Filmfare Awards 2020 are out! – Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2020". Zee5.com.
- "Mardaani 3 in the works". www.asianage.com.