Mardaani 2 is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language action thriller film and a sequel to the 2014 film Mardaani. It is directed by Gopi Puthran who wrote the previous film, marking his directorial debut, and backed by Aditya Chopra through Yash Raj Films, with Rani Mukerji reprising her role of police officer Shivani Shivaji Roy from the previous film. The plot follows her attempts to catch a 21-year-old rapist and murderer, played by newcomer Vishal Jethwa.
|Directed by||Gopi Puthran|
|Written by||Gopi Puthran|
|Produced by||Aditya Chopra|
|Edited by||Monisha Baldawa|
John Stewart Eduri
|Distributed by||Yash Raj Films|
|Box office||₹67.12 crore|
Mardaani 2 was announced on 10 December 2018 by a social media post. Filming began in March 2019 and was extensively done in Rajasthan. The first look was unveiled in April 2019 and release date was announced in September 2019. It was released on 13 December 2019 to generally positive response towards its screenplay, pace, direction and performances (particularly those of Mukerji and Jethwa) The film performed successfully at the box office and earned a worldwide gross of ₹67.12 crore (US$8.4 million).
In Kota, Rajasthan, a 21-year-old psychopath, Sunny (Vishal Jethwa), kidnaps an outspoken young woman, Latika. He brutally tortures and rapes her, then murders her. Shivani, who has been appointed as the new Superintendent of Police of Kota, arrives at the crime scene and clashes with her subordinate DSP Brij Shekhawat (Sumit Nijhawan) who is misogynistic. The brutality of the murder disturbs Shivani and makes her more determined to catch the killer.
Sunny, who has actually come to Kota from Meerut on a killing contract given by politician Govind Mishra a.k.a. Panditji (Prasanna Ketkar), sees Shivani on TV when she publicly promises to find Latika's killer. He taunts her by sneaking into her home and stealing her sari, he then dresses up as a woman, tricks the journalist, and kills him; he also hires Pravin, a tea-seller near the police station, to kill the journalist's wife, Aabha Parihar, in a suicide blast, then takes Pravin's place as tea-seller to keep an eye on her, introducing himself as a mute boy named Bajrang.
When Shivani brings in Lahanya, a child from the slums who had witnessed the blast, Sunny kills him. Following the media uproar on the failure of the police to catch the murderer, Shivani is set to be transferred from Kota. Since the new officer will come after two days, Shivani, along with her teammates, decides to catch Sunny within the two days. Shivani makes peace with Shekhawat since his network of informers is very strong in the city, and he leads them to his contact, who reveals that the real mastermind behind the killing of Kamal Parihar is the youth politician Viplav Beniwal (Sunny Hinduja). Shivani arrests Beniwal's right-hand man Kunwar and is brutally tortured into revealing the whereabouts of Sunny. Sunny kidnaps another outspoken woman but the police track him down. They discover her already raped and tortured but still alive and manage to save her.
Sunny, acting as Bajrang, gets a lift from Shivani. Before he can strangle her, Shivani stops him, having realized that Bajrang is Sunny. The two fight but Sunny escapes. The police find a video of Sunny taken by a bystander, and Shivani has it made viral on all social media platforms. Sunny kidnaps Pandit's granddaughter Priyanka and threatens to kill her unless Shivani apologizes to him. Shivani and the police manages to save the girl. Shekhawat mends his ways and agrees to help Shivani. Shivani discovers that Sunny's next target is the female politician Sunanda. That night, amidst the Diwali celebrations, Shivani and her team search for him. She discovers him in the house of a local couple, having taken their daughter and Sunanda hostage. Shivani is knocked unconscious and tied up.
When she awakes, Sunny is strangling Sunanda; to distract him, Shivani talks about his mother and his past, which she learned from Sunny's father, who is imprisoned in Meerut. As a child, Sunny's father had tried to murder Sunny's mother, who had been an outspoken woman. In terror, Sunny's mother had hidden on the terrace, but Sunny told his father where she was hiding; his father then killed her. The guilt of his mother's death has since caused Sunny to become unhinged and take that anger out on other confident girls.
Shivani signals Sunanda and the other hostage to toss the nearby buckets of paint on Sunny, as he is asthmatic. She then gains the upper hand, beating Sunny with his own belt. She kicks him outside and continues beating him as the neighbourhood gathers to watch.
- Rani Mukerji as SP Shivani Shivaji Roy IPS
- Vishal Jethwa as Shiv 'Sunny' Prasad Yadav also Bajrang Chaiwala (another character of mute boy)[clarification needed]
- Jisshu Sengupta as Dr. Vikram Bose Roy, Shivani's husband
- Shruti Bapna as Inspector Bharti Angare
- Vikram Singh Chauhan as Inspector Anup Singhal
- Rajesh Sharma as Amit Sharma
- Tejasvi Singh Ahlawat as Latika Agarwal, the girl who was raped in the first scene of the film
- Pratyksh Rajbhatt as Monty, Latika's friend
- Prasanna Ketkar as politician Govind Mishra a.k.a. Panditji, Sunny's boss
- Virti Vaghani as Priyanka, Panditji's granddaughter
- Anurag Sharma as Journalist Kamal Parihar, Abha's husband
- Sunny Hinduja as Viplav Beniwal
- Sumit Nijhawan as DSP Brij Shekhawat
- Richa Meena as Sunanda Chaudhary
- Deepika Amin as Dr. Harni Kapur, a doctor who operated on Latika
- Avneet Kaur as Meera, Shivani's niece
- Pariva Pranati as Abha Parihar, Kamal's wife
- Garima Jain as Reporter
- Aanchal Srivastava as Tina
- Suresh Anand as Rawat
- Vishal Nath as Pravin
- Vishal Sudarshanwar as SHO Vinay Jaiswal
- Girish Sharma as Kunwar
- Anchal Sahu as Brij's daughter
On 10 December 2018 Yash Raj Films announced on their official Twitter account the making of sequel to their hit film Mardaani to be directed and scripted by Gopi Puthran. Rani Mukerji is to reprise her role of Shivani Shivaji Roy of the last film. Vikram Singh Chauhan and Shruti Bapna later on added to the cast.
The principal photography began on 27 March 2019. The official Twitter page of Yash Raj Films posted the announcement of beginning of the shooting and shared a picture from the sets of the film. Rani Mukerji went to the second schedule of filming in the first week of May in Kota and Jaipur in Rajasthan. Mukerji shooting in Rajasthan was battling in 42 °C temperature while filming fighting scenes. The Rajasthan schedule of the film was wrapped up on 29 May.
Mardaani 2 was released worldwide on 2105 screens. The film's opening day nett domestic collection was ₹3.80 crore. In the next two days, it earned nett ₹6.55 crore and ₹7.80 crore respectively. It grossed ₹67.12 in worldwide areas, consisting of ₹56.63 crore (Indian gross) and ₹10.49 crore (overseas gross).
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s)||Result||Ref.|
|Filmfare Awards||15 February 2020||Best Actress||Rani Mukherjee||Nominated|||
|Best Male Debut||Vishal Jethwa||Nominated|
|Best Debut Director||Gopi Puthran||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||28 March 2020||Best Actress||Rani Mukherjee||Nominated|||
|Best Male Debut||Vishal Jethwa||Won|
- "Confirmed: Rani Mukerji starrer 'Mardaani 2' to release on this date". The Deccan Chronicle. 10 August 2019. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "Mardaani 2 (2019)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 12 December 2019.
- "Rani Mukherji starrer Mardaani 2 makes approx. 40 cr. in profit for Yash Raj Films". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 6 January 2020.
- "Mardaani 2 Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 January 2020.
- "Mardaani 2 (2019)". AllMovie.
- Khandelwal, Khush (24 March 2019). "Mardaani 2, the sequel to Rani Mukerji's Mardaani, goes on floors today - see photo". Times Now News. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Rani Mukerji's next is 'Mardaani 2'". The Hindu. 10 December 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- Goyal, Divya (10 December 2018). "Mardaani 2 Is Rani Mukerji's Next Film After Hichki". NDTV. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "'Mardaani 2': Rani Mukerji's film finally goes on floors". Daily News and Analysis. 25 March 2019. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Mardaani 2 first look: Rani Mukerji returns as Bollywood's most intense cop. See pic". Hindustan Times. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Vikram Singh Chauhan joins the cast of Rani Mukerji's 'Mardaani 2'!". ABP Live. 3 April 2019. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "'Yeh Hai Mohabbatein' fame Shruti Bapna bags role in Rani Mukerji's 'Mardaani 2'". ABP Live. 29 March 2019. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "Mardaani 2: Rani Mukerji set for an action-packed schedule in Rajasthan". Bollywood Hungama. 24 April 2019. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "राजस्थान की भयानक गर्मी में मर्दानी-2 की शूटिंग कर रहीं रानी मुखर्जी, 42 डिग्री तापमान में कर रहीं एक्शन सीन्स". Times Now News 18 (in Hindi). 15 May 2019. Retrieved 15 May 2019.
- Singh, Raghuvendra (15 May 2019). "Interesting updates from the sets of Rani Mukerji's Mardaani 2". Filmfare. Retrieved 15 May 2019.
- "Mardaani 2: Rani Mukerji bonds with crew as she wraps up Rajasthan schedule, see picture". India TV News. 29 May 2019. Archived from the original on 30 May 2019. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- Yash Raj Films [@yrf] (10 August 2019). "#Mardaani2 starring #RaniMukerji as Shivani Shivaji Roy releasing in theatres near you on 13th December 2019. #Mardaani2OnDecember13" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Nominations for the 65th Amazon Filmfare Awards 2020 are out! – Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2020". Zee5.com.
- "Mardaani 3 in the works". www.asianage.com.