Marcy Carsey (born Marcia Lee Peterson; November 21, 1944) is an American television producer. She is best known for her work with fellow producer Tom Werner forming the company Carsey-Werner Productions in 1981.
Marcia Lee Peterson
November 21, 1944
|Spouse(s)||John Jay Carsey|
(1969–2002; his death; 2 children)
Life and careerEdit
In the 1960s, she was a tour guide at NBC, later becoming a story editor for the Tomorrow Entertainment company. In 1974, she began working for ABC as a comedy programming executive. During her tenure she developed the sitcoms Happy Days, Mork & Mindy and Soap. In 1980, she left ABC and in 1982 started Carsey Productions, an independent production company. She was joined in this venture a year later by Tom Werner who had worked with her at ABC. Together they formed Carsey-Werner Productions.
In 1990, she was awarded the Women in Film Crystal Award. In 1996, she was inducted into the Television Hall of Fame. In 2000, she was again recognized by Women in Film with the Lucy Award in recognition of her excellence and innovation in her creative works that have enhanced the perception of women through the medium of television.
In 2013, Marcy Carsey made a gift of $20 million to the University of New Hampshire to support the creation of the new Carsey School of Public Policy. This gift is the second largest in the university’s history.
- Stevenson, Richard W. (December 23, 1988). "THE MEDIA BUSINESS; 'Cosby' Producers Strike It Rich". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "Marcy Carsey biography at The Museum of Broadcast Communications (MBC)". The Museum of Broadcast Communications (MBC). Retrieved March 29, 2011.
- "Marcy Carsey biography at website for the Carsey-Wolf Center". Carsey-Wolf Center. Retrieved March 29, 2011.
- "Past Recipients: Crystal Award". Women In Film. Archived from the original on August 20, 2011. Retrieved May 10, 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Television Hall of Fame Honorees: Complete List".
- Women in Film past recipients Archived 2011-08-20 at WebCite
- "Alumna Marcy Carsey Gives $20 Million to University of New Hampshire". University of New Hampshire Media Relations. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "Marcy Carsey biography at IMDb". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved March 29, 2011.