Marcus Merriman (1940–2006) was an historian and academic researching Anglo-Scottish relations in the 16th century and their European context.
|Born||3 May 1940|
Merriman was born in Baltimore on 3 May 1940. Educated at Bowdoin College, Maine, he spent a year at Edinburgh University, then completed his PhD at the Institute of Historical Research, London University.
He spent his working life at Lancaster University as Assistant Lecturer in History (1964–66), Lecturer in History (1966–92) and Senior Lecturer in History (1992–2006). His published works are mostly concerned with the Anglo-Scottish war of The Rough Wooing which began following negotiations to marry Mary, Queen of Scots to Edward VI of England. In 1990 he was honoured with the Cadbury Schweppes National Award for innovation in teaching.
The Marcus Merriman Travel Grant is awarded to successful students from Pendle College. The purpose of the grant being to enable students to travel in order to take part in a project that would broaden their experience and provide a benefit to others.
- 'The Assured Scots: Scottish Collaborators with England during the Rough Wooing, 1543-1550', Scottish Historical Review, xlvii (1968), 10–35.
- 'War and Propaganda during the "Rough Wooing", Scottish Tradition (9/10, 1979–80), 20–30.
- The History of the King's Works, vol. 4 (1982), ed. H. M. Colvin, Part IV, 'The Scottish Border', 607–726.
- 'Italian Military Engineers in Britain in the 1540s', in English Map Making, ed. S. Tyacke, (British Library, 1983), 57–67.
- 'The Epistle to the Queen's Majestie' and its 'Platte', Architectural History, 27, (1984), 25–32.
- 'James Henrisoun and 'Great Britain': British Union and the Scottish Commonweal', in Scotland and England, 186-1815, ed. Roger A. Mason, Edinburgh (1987), 85–112.
- 'Mary, Queen of France', in Mary Stewart, Queen in Three Kingdoms, ed. M. J. Lynch, Oxford (1988) & Innes Review, xxxviii, (1988), 30–32.
- 'The Eyemouth forts: Anvils of Union?', Scottish Historical Review, lxvii, (1988), 142–155.
- 'Henry VIII as a European Builder, History Today, June 1991.
- 'Home thoughts from abroad: Scottish exiles in the mid-16th Century, in Uniting the Kingdoms? The Making of British History, ed. A. Grant & K. Stringer (1996), 111–22.
- 'Intelligens to asseg, Migliorino Ubaldini and the Fortification of Scotland in 1548', Architetti e ingegneri militari italiani all'estero dal XV al XVII secolo, ii, ed. Marino Viganò, Rome (1999), 233–255.
- The Rough Wooings, Mary Queen of Scots, 1542-1551, Tuckwell Press, Edinburgh (2000): ISBN 1-86232-090-X
- Mullett, Michael A. (9 April 2006). "Obituary: Dr Marcus Merriman". The Guardian.
- "University of Lancaster, Pendle College history". Archived from the original on 5 June 2011. Retrieved 1 May 2011.
- University, Lancaster. "Funding | Lancaster University". www.lancaster.ac.uk.