Marceline Loridan-Ivens (née Rozenberg; 19 March 1928 – 18 September 2018) was a French writer and film director who was married to Joris Ivens. Her memoir But You Did Not Come Back details her time in Auschwitz-Birkenau.
19 March 1928
|Died||18 September 2018 (aged 90)|
|Occupation||Writer and filmmaker|
Marceline Rozenberg was born to Polish Jewish parents who emigrated to France since 1919. At the beginning of World War II, her family settled in Vaucluse, where she joined the French Resistance. She and her father, Szlama, were captured by the Gestapo  and deported to Auschwitz-Birkenau by Convoy 71 on 13 April 1944, along with Simone Veil and Anne-Lise Stern, then to Bergen-Belsen, and eventually to Theresienstadt. The camp was liberated on 10 May 1945. by the Red Army.
She joined the French Communist Party in 1955 and left it a year later. She then encountered "deviationists", such as Henri Lefebvre and Edgar Morin, wrote manuscripts for intellectuals, worked in the reprographic service of a polling institute, was bag carrier for the Algerian National Liberation Front and frequented Saint-Germain-des-Prés
In 1961, Edgar Morin cast her in the film Chronique d'un été, thus making her film debut. In 1963, she met and married the documentary director Joris Ivens. She assisted him in his work and co-directed some of his films, including 17th Parallel: Vietnam in War (1968). They left together for Vietnam, where they met Ho Chi Minh
From 1972 to 1976, during the Cultural Revolution, Joris Ivens and Marceline Loridan worked in China and directed How Yukong Moved the Mountains, a series of 12 films Criticized by Jiang Qing, they had to quickly leave China
- 1962: Algérie, année zéro - Documentary co-directed with Jean-Pierre Sergent
- 1968: 17th Parallel: Vietnam in War - Documentary co-directed with Joris Ivens
- 1976: How Yukong Moved the Mountains - Documentary series co-directed with Joris Ivens
- 1976: Une histoire de ballon, lycée n° 31 Pékin - Short film (19 min) co-directed with Joris Ivens
- 1977: Les Kazaks - Documentary co-directed with Joris Ivens
- 1977: Les Ouigours - Documentary co-directed with Joris Ivens
- 1988: A Tale of the Wind - Documentary-fiction co-directed with Joris Ivens
- 2003: La Petite Prairie aux bouleaux
- 1961: Chronique d'un été
- 1999: Peut-être
- 2008: Une belle croisière
- 2008: Les Bureaux de Dieu
- 2013: Bright Days Ahead
Awards and nominationsEdit
- 17e parallèle : la guerre du peuple: deux mois sous la terre, cowritten with Joris Ivens, Paris, les Éditeurs français réunis, 1969 (44 illustrations)
- Ma vie balagan, story written with journalist Élisabeth D. Inandiak, Robert Laffont, 2008 ISBN 978-2-221-10658-7
- Et tu n'es pas revenu, story written with Judith Perrignon, Grasset, 2015 ISBN 978-2-246-85391-6
- L'amour après, story written with Judith Perrignon, Grasset, 2018, 162 p.
- Article by Andrew Goldstein in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Filmmaker Loridan-Ivens, Auschwitz companion of Simone Veil, dies
- Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum
- Publishers Weekly
- Klarsfeld, 2012.
- Klarsfeld, 2012.
- Steven Erlanger. "Jewish Deportee on Persecution, Past and Present", The New York Times, 1 January 2016.
- Klarsfeld, 2012.
- Klarsfeld, 1978.
- Plus tard, elles deviennent amies. Catherine Durand. «Marceline Loridan-Ivens : "Simone Veil, ma jumelle contradictoire»", Marie Claire; accessed 21 September 2018.
- Interview with Marceline Loridan-Ivens, France Inter, 18 April 2012.
- Loridan, Marceline (2008). Laffont (ed.). Ma vie balagan (in French). p. 171. ISBN 9782221106587. OCLC 262426758..
- « La clé des camps », Libération, 11 November 2003.
- Jacqueline Remy, "La vie est belle", Vanity Fair, April 2018, pages 78-85.
- « Marceline la tornade », Le Monde, 25 July 2005.
- CANNES CLASSICS - « Joris Ivens et Marceline Loridan, regards sur la Chine en mutation », 21 May 2014.
- Marceline Loridan a filmé la Chine de Mao « Je fus dupée par mon époque », Rue89, 15 June 2014.
- Serge Klarsfeld, Le Mémorial de la Déportation des Juifs de France, Beate and Serge Klarsfeld, 1978; New Edition: Association des Fils et Filles des Déportés Juifs de France (FFDJF), 2012
- Marceline Loridan-Ivens on IMDb
- «À réécouter, les propos chocs de Marceline Loridan, ancienne déportée» at France Inter, 27 January 2015.