Marcel Schmelzer (German pronunciation: [maʁˈsɛl ˈʃmɛltsɐ]; born 22 January 1988) is a German footballer who plays for Borussia Dortmund as a left back, serving as captain from 2016 to 2018. He has been capped by Germany at international level. A one-club man, Schmelzer has spent his entire professional career at Dortmund.
Schmelzer with Borussia Dortmund in 2014
|Full name||Marcel Schmelzer|
|Date of birth||22 January 1988|
|Place of birth||Magdeburg, East Germany|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|2001–2005||1. FC Magdeburg|
|2007–2009||Borussia Dortmund II||37||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12:08, 18 May 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 5 March 2014
Schmelzer was born in Magdeburg, Saxony-Anhalt. He started his professional career with Borussia Dortmund, making his first appearance on 9 August 2008, in the German Cup first-round match against Rot-Weiss Essen. His first league appearance came in the following week, as he played the final twenty minutes of a 3–2 win at Bayer Leverkusen. Schmelzer had his best season for Borussia Dortmund in the 2010–11 season, where he managed to play every minute of the season for the team who went on to win the Bundesliga that year.
The following season, Schmelzer, who missed the beginning of the Bundesliga due to injury, enjoyed yet another trophy as he helped Dortmund win another Bundesliga title. In addition to being the left back for the team for the entire season, Schmelzer also helped Dortmund secure the DFB Pokal with a 5–2 win against Bayern Munich, making it 3 titles in 2 years.
On 11 January 2013, Schmelzer extended his contract with Borussia, which will keep him at the club until 2017.
On 25 April 2016, Marcel Schmelzer yet again extended his contract with BVB. He agreed on a five-year deal which will keep him with the black and yellows through 2021.
After the departure of Mats Hummels, Schmelzer was named a candidate to be the new captain. On 14 August 2016, Schmelzer captained his first match against league champions Bayern Munich during the 2–0 defeat of the DFL-Supercup.
Schmelzer was called up by the U21 team for the 2009 European Championship, being used regularly, although not as a starter, he played the final five minutes in the final, a 4–0 success against England.
- As of 18 May 2019
|Borussia Dortmund II||2007–08||Regionalliga Nord||26||0||—||26||0|
- As of 5 March 2014
- Borussia Dortmund
- Bundesliga: 2010–11, 2011–12
- DFB-Pokal: 2011–12, 2016–17
- DFL-Supercup: 2013, 2014, 2019
- UEFA Champions League runner-up: 2012–13
- Germany U21
- Marcel Schmelzer at Soccerway
- "Marcel Schmelzer". Soccerway. Global Sports Media. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Valdez vollendet Arbeitssieg". kicker.de (in German). 9 August 2008. Retrieved 17 May 2009.
- "Löw: "My compliments go to Jürgen Klopp"" (in German). bundesliga.de. 22 April 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "BVB extend contract of Marcel Schmelzer until 2017". Borussia Dortmund Official Website. 11 January 2013. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Dortmund prevail over Bayern in Supercup thriller". bundesliga.com. 27 July 2013. Archived from the original on 6 November 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Borussia Dortmund und Marcel Schmelzer verlängern Zusammenarbeit bis 2021". Borussia Dortmund (in German). 25 April 2016. Retrieved 25 April 2016.
- "Deutscher Supercup, 2016, Finale" (in German). 14 August 2016. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- "Marcel Schmelzer » Club matches". World Football. Retrieved 15 August 2015.