Marat Mukhanbetkazyuly Tazhin (Kazakh: Марат Мұханбетқазыұлы Тәжин, Marat Muhanbetqazyuly Tájın; born 8 April 1960) is a Kazakh politician. He served as the Foreign Minister in the Government of Kazakhstan from 2007 to 2009. He previously served as Secretary of the National Security Committee (NSC). In September 2009 he was named an advisor to President Nursultan Nazarbayev and secretary of Kazakhstan's Security Council. Marat Tazhin was appointed First Deputy Head of the Executive Office of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan in January 2017.
Marat Mukhanbetkazyuly Tazhin
Марат Мұханбетқазыұлы Тәжин
|State Secretary of Kazakhstan|
24 March 2019 – 18 September 2019
|Preceded by||Bakhytzhan Sagintayev|
|Succeeded by||Krymbek Kusherbayev|
16 January 2013 – 21 January 2014
|Preceded by||Mukhtar Kul-Mukhammed|
|Succeeded by||Karim Massimov (Acting)|
|First Deputy Head of the Presidential Administration of Kazakhstan|
29 August 2002 – 13 April 2006
|Preceded by||Office established|
|Succeeded by||Office abolished|
12 January 2017 – 24 March 2019
|Preceded by||Office reestablished|
|Succeeded by||Darhan Kaletaev|
|Minister of Foreign Affairs|
10 January 2007 – 4 September 2009
|Prime Minister||Karim Massimov|
|Preceded by||Kassym-Jomart Tokayev|
|Succeeded by||Kanat Saudabayev|
|Secretary of the Security Council|
24 February 1999 – 5 May 2001
11 December 2001 – 29 August 2002
April 2006 – January 2007
|Chairman of the National Security Committee|
4 May 2001 – 11 December 2001
|Preceded by||Alnur Mussayev|
|Succeeded by||Nurtai Dutbayev|
|Born||8 April 1960|
Aktobe, Kazakh SSR, Soviet Union
|Political party||Nur Otan|
|Alma mater||Almaty National Economic Institute,|
Kazakh State University
Education and early careerEdit
He graduated from the Almaty National Economic Institute and continued his post-graduate study at Kazakh State University, eventually becoming a senior lecturer there. From 1987 to 1988 he interned in London, United Kingdom. From 1991 to 1992 he served as a department head at Al-Farabi University in Almaty.
He has received the Order of Kurmet.
January 2013 Marat Tazhin was relieved of his duties as Aide to the President and Security Council Secretary and appointed Kazakhstan’s Secretary of State, replacing outgoing Mukhtar Kul-Mukhammed.
February 2014 Marat Tazhin was appointed Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Kazakhstan to the Russian Federation.
January 2017 Marat Tazhin was appointed First Deputy Head of the Executive Office of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Analysts have described him as a theoretician and as a shadow who prefers to wield power behind the scene. President Nazarbayev described him after appointing him foreign minister as a "scholar, a Ph.D., and has been my adviser, including on foreign policy questions. Since the international community attaches great importance to my choice for foreign minister, I appointed the person I know well and believe in. Most importantly, I believe he will succeed in his new job and will bring his own contribution to further foreign policy successes of our country.”
- New Security Council Secretary Named in Kazakhstan Archived 2008-09-04 at the Wayback Machine Kazakhstan Daily Digest, EurasiaNet
- Kazakh paper Karavan analyses recent government reshuffle Archived 2008-09-04 at the Wayback Machine Kazakhstan Daily Digest, EurasiaNet
- Kazakhstan interested in cooperation with US to promote Democracy NGO Watch
- Biography of Marat Tazhin Archived 2007-01-23 at the Wayback Machine Research Portal
- Kazakh Ambassador To Russia Gets New Appointment
- Кузнецов, Николай (2009-12-11), "Девять жизней Комитета нацбезопасности", Взгляд, 45 (134), retrieved 2010-01-28
- Kazakhstan to remain committed to multifaceted foreign policy - Nazarbayev Archived 2007-09-28 at the Wayback Machine Interfax
- Kazakhstan FM elected as Chairman of the Senate Archived 2007-09-30 at the Wayback Machine ITAR-Tass
- Nazarbayev - The Kazakhstan Way Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine Neweurasia.net
- Kazakhstan vows continued nonproliferation support Global Security Newswire
- "Kazakhstan's Government sees a large-scaled reshuffle". Tengrinews.kz English. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- Kazakh paper Karavan analyses recent government Reshuffle Archived 2007-07-08 at the Wayback Machine Eurasianet
- Марат Тажин: стратег, конспиратор и идеолог в одном флаконе Archived 2007-02-08 at the Wayback Machine Думаем.ру
- New Government in Kazakhstan Takes Shape Archived 2007-05-29 at the Wayback Machine Embassy of Kazakhstan
|Foreign Minister of Kazakhstan||Succeeded by|